Bullnose Forums

1984 Bronco build thread

StraightSix

Fuel economy report- 15.9 mpg

Roughly 140 miles at 65mph/2600 rpm with no stops that I can remember and then another 60 miles or so driving on secondary highways at roughly 55mph/2200 rpm.

Its not as good as I originally though, but still seems pretty good to me!

I think its a little lackluster on the low end now that Im back home compared to how it drove in the mountains. I was about 1000-1500 feet higher in elevation up there. Any chance that the elevation played a part and Im jetted a little lean for home?

Thanks Jim! Ill order one a let you all know how it goes.

Dane, crawling over the center console and into the driver seat first think in the morning is the only notable problem. I think its a great camping rig, I highly recommend it!

On another side note, Ive pretty much lost all desire to have a zf5 for the bronco. Initially I thought I would just have to have an OD gear. Now, 65 seems like plenty for highway cruising. And the NP435 seems to do incredible work off road and is also an excellent around town cruiser. Maybe those guys at Ford did know a thing or two..

One advantage of my “newer” Bronco is that the passenger seat slides forward. Getting stuff in and out of the back of my truck frustrates me sometimes.

Edit, clarification

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roughly 140 miles at 65mph/2600 rpm with no stops that I can remember and then another 60 miles or so driving on secondary highways at roughly 55mph/2200 rpm.

I think its a little lackluster on the low end now that Im back home compared to how it drove in the mountains. I was about 1000-1500 feet higher in elevation up there. Any chance that the elevation played a part and Im jetted a little lean for home?

Dane, crawling over the center console and into the driver seat first think in the morning is the only notable problem. I think its a great camping rig, I highly recommend it!

On another side note, Ive pretty much lost all desire to have a zf5 for the bronco. Initially I thought I would just have to have an OD gear. Now, 65 seems like plenty for highway cruising. And the NP435 seems to do incredible work off road and is also an excellent around town cruiser. Maybe those guys at Ford did know a thing or two..

One advantage of my “newer” Bronco is that the passenger seat slides forward. Getting stuff in and out of the back of my truck frustrates me sometimes.

Edit, clarification

Ah, I had almost forgoten that my 1990 bronco would do that. That should help!

Edit, clarification

I thought all Broncos of this era were like that?

Didn't Gary wrote an eight page analysis of them when deciding on a pan and console for Dads truck?

Edit, clarification

Jim and Gary,

My 1990 broncos seats would pivot and slide forward. The 1984s seats only pivot forward.

Yes, I think your MPG is good!:nabble_smiley_good: I would be very happy with that economy return, I'm jealous! I agree mostly with your observation of our transmissions, it is excellent around town and country roads. Not so sure about Interstates though, not when semis are steaming along at 70+MPH! Haven't really tested mine on the Interstate since the rebuild, not for any great distance anyway. On a short distance run you can stay with traffic and not be concerned with fuel economy. But my wife wants an Ikea run to Atlanta, so I guess I'll find out soon enough. To be fair, 65 isn't so slow, not quite moving roadblock, I was limited to less than that for over 200000 miles of semi driving myself... And then voluntarily stayed at that for another 100000 in my own truck when I was paying for diesel!:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Didn't Gary wrote an eight page analysis of them when deciding on a pan and console for Dads truck?

As StraightSix said, I believe you get more room on the later ones that slide. The frustration on my truck is mainly from the drivers side.

As StraightSix said, I believe you get more room on the later ones that slide. The frustration on my truck is mainly from the drivers side.

Rob- with your 3.08 gears you are probably getting a little more speed for your rpm than me, unless you have significantly smaller tires. I agree, Id love to be able to cruise comfortably with good fuel economy at 80mph. However, in the 2500 miles or so on the interstate Ive driven the thing 65 seems to be ok, with the occasional run up to 70 or 75 for the sake of defensive driving to get away from someone. More than anything, Im not sure how wise it really is to drive a truck without airbags or rear head restraint that fast anyhow. If this is the only compromise I have to make to get all of the awesome benefits and performance of the NP435, it seems like a great trade off to me! Whereabouts are you in the Atlanta area? I bounce around from Griffin to Carrollton to Cartersville with pretty good frequency.

I spent a few years 1/2 a mile or so south of that Ikea.