Bullnose Forums

1984 Bronco build thread

StraightSix

I never lock the keyed one so it works just the same as its non-keyed brother.

The keyed cap I have is the one I finally decided to use (keeping the regular one in the glove box, we never know).

But mine is a "push'n click" model, it is always in lock position. The key retracts two spring pins that goes back to "lock" automatically when the key is pulled out.

Can't be used as a "non locking" cap.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never lock the keyed one so it works just the same as its non-keyed brother.

The keyed cap I have is the one I finally decided to use (keeping the regular one in the glove box, we never know).

But mine is a "push'n click" model, it is always in lock position. The key retracts two spring pins that goes back to "lock" automatically when the key is pulled out.

Can't be used as a "non locking" cap.

I was afraid my locking one would be automatic, but fortunately it isn't as I don't want to have another key, or pair of keys, on my key chain.

I don't want to have another key, or pair of keys, on my key chain.

I fully agree with you. Just the climbing fuel price (much higher here than in US) that made me decide to keep fuel thefts away from Big Bro.

Maybe I am too paranoid...

:nabble_smiley_whistling:

I don’t think you’re too paranoid.

But thieves around here will cut the refuel hose to the tank or even puncture the tank, it’s cheaper to let them siphon gas.

I have better lights and a camera now.

I don't want to have another key, or pair of keys, on my key chain.

I fully agree with you. Just the climbing fuel price (much higher here than in US) that made me decide to keep fuel thefts away from Big Bro.

Maybe I am too paranoid...

:nabble_smiley_whistling:

I don’t think you’re too paranoid.

But thieves around here will cut the refuel hose to the tank or even puncture the tank, it’s cheaper to let them siphon gas.

I have better lights and a camera now.

BigBrother84- the 818 motorad gas cap fits perfectly! Thanks! Now I can finally go for a good fuel economy test drive with the 390.

Dane - hard to stop a thief :( I hope nobody actually knocked a hole in your gas tank :(

BigBrother84- the 818 motorad gas cap fits perfectly! Thanks!

Glad to help!

:nabble_anim_handshake:

Hi guys! I found (another) cx-120 on ebay and snapped it up! Maybe this one will work out. Assuming the new vacuum motor, my original cold weather modulator and my original bi-metal sensor all work, I may be pretty close to having a blended intake set up!

The one big hurdle I have to make is the hot air collector/baffle that wraps around the exhaust. I no longer have my original, and if I did I doubt it would help much anyways since I now have an efi exhaust manifold set up.

20201107_102246.jpg.a252784abde48e427915a8fd627ccd09.jpg

I will need to figure out a way to produce the neck that the corrugated air hose slips over, as well as the actual housing that wraps around the exhaust. Im no master metal fabricator, so Im open to ideas. Id love to identify some nearly correct piece of metal (coffee can, piece of stove pipe, etc) that would make a good starting point. Ofcourse, I do want this to look reasonably good when Im finished.

Has anyone seen this done before?

Thanks! -John

Hi guys! I found (another) cx-120 on ebay and snapped it up! Maybe this one will work out. Assuming the new vacuum motor, my original cold weather modulator and my original bi-metal sensor all work, I may be pretty close to having a blended intake set up!

The one big hurdle I have to make is the hot air collector/baffle that wraps around the exhaust. I no longer have my original, and if I did I doubt it would help much anyways since I now have an efi exhaust manifold set up.

I will need to figure out a way to produce the neck that the corrugated air hose slips over, as well as the actual housing that wraps around the exhaust. Im no master metal fabricator, so Im open to ideas. Id love to identify some nearly correct piece of metal (coffee can, piece of stove pipe, etc) that would make a good starting point. Ofcourse, I do want this to look reasonably good when Im finished.

Has anyone seen this done before?

Thanks! -John

John,

Your Bio has a offy intake and Motorcraft carb what you using for a air filter?

The factory 300 one will not fit the carb.

I also dont see how the factory v8 housing that fits that carb will clear everything?

So how will you have a snorkel for the hot air and or cool air from in front of the radiator support?

I think if you have a housing that will fit the carb and clear everything then to get the hot air from the exh manifold would be easy. Have you tried driving the truck with out it to see what happens?

Dose your choke use hot air to open it and if so hot did you over come that?

I would hit the junk yard and look at older cars & trucks that run a carb and see if you can rob their metal that might work for you. I want to say I have seen older Toyota's with with exh manifolds close to the shape of that front one you have that may work.

I also want to say it would not be to hard to make something if you need to.

Sheet metal on the back & front to make a pocket around manifold. The 2 sheet metal parts can be bolted together and have it hold tight to the manifold so it dose not make noise.

A tin can that fits the paper hose. cut the bottom out and slice it up about an inch all the way around making it like a fan if it it was bent out.

Find a place on the outer sheet metal to make a hole for this can to fit and the hose to reach.

Bend every other "wing" out from the end you sliced.They will be the stops when the can is put in the hole. Put the can in the hole up to the wings with the others inside the hole.

Now bend them up to the sheet metal. The can should now be held in place by the wings on either side of the sheet metal.

You can use epoxy (JB Weld?) around the can & sheet metal to make it air tight if you want.

Bolt it to the manifold add the paper hose and filter and you are done.

I am using EFI manifolds with the factory Carter carb & air filter and I did not make anything to heat the incoming air. I have driven the truck when in the 20's with out any issues. I also have the cool air to snorkel for when the door opens, if it dose?

I used copper tubing wrapped around the rear manifold for the choke hot air asst.

I only had to make 1 adjustment when the temp got down to the 20's as the fast idle did not come off.

I wrapped header wrap around manifold & copper so I would not lose heat and it has been fine since.

I also run hot water to the stock intake manifold to heat it are you going to do the same?

Dave ----