Bullnose Forums

1984 Bronco build thread

StraightSix

Interesting! It is doubtful it was original on a truck. Only the 351HO and 460 air cleaners had steel bottoms from what I’ve seen. But there was a smaller Mustang air cleaner that had a steel bottom.

Hm. Im guessing the 351 HO air cleaner was probably double snorkel? So not that one. Maybe a 460 cleaner or the mustang cleaner I guess.

Anyways, it just became a "307 H.O. 2V" air cleaner.

Todays update :

20220405_182432.jpg.48eb49c9920c6debd74ab4423908a9d2.jpg

The 300 snorkel temp'd in onto the air cleaner. I have since gotten the new hole in the air cleaner mostly roughed in. I also cut out the metal lip that the snorkel mounts to from the original 300 air cleaner. Ill sandwitch the new air cleaner between the snorkel and the peice of the original instead of attempting to bend lips ( not sure if I have the skill, but the material wasnt exactly there anyhow.

Ill try to get a few better photos of a more complete air cleaner tomorrow.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm. Im guessing the 351 HO air cleaner was probably double snorkel? So not that one. Maybe a 460 cleaner or the mustang cleaner I guess.

Anyways, it just became a "307 H.O. 2V" air cleaner.

Todays update :

The 300 snorkel temp'd in onto the air cleaner. I have since gotten the new hole in the air cleaner mostly roughed in. I also cut out the metal lip that the snorkel mounts to from the original 300 air cleaner. Ill sandwitch the new air cleaner between the snorkel and the peice of the original instead of attempting to bend lips ( not sure if I have the skill, but the material wasnt exactly there anyhow.

Ill try to get a few better photos of a more complete air cleaner tomorrow.

No, the 351HO air cleaner is a single snorkel. And the 460 is a single snorkel, but has two openings with the 2nd one back towards the firewall and it only opens at low vacuum like WOT.

But your approach looks like it'll work fine. I think the extra metal may be a plus.

What's the diameter of your lid? I'll measure my 351HO lid in the morning and post it. And I think I have a 302HO air cleaner from a Mustang so can measure it as well.

What are you going to use to close the other hole?

Oh, and all of the snorkels are interchangeable. IOW, You can bolt a longer one where the short one is. And there are several different ones, with the differences being the angle up/down and left/right the snorkel makes with the air cleaner. You can drill out the spot welds and change that bit if you want. I have and have pics thereof in the Dad's Air Cleaner thread on FTE.

No, the 351HO air cleaner is a single snorkel. And the 460 is a single snorkel, but has two openings with the 2nd one back towards the firewall and it only opens at low vacuum like WOT.

But your approach looks like it'll work fine. I think the extra metal may be a plus.

What's the diameter of your lid? I'll measure my 351HO lid in the morning and post it. And I think I have a 302HO air cleaner from a Mustang so can measure it as well.

What are you going to use to close the other hole?

Oh, and all of the snorkels are interchangeable. IOW, You can bolt a longer one where the short one is. And there are several different ones, with the differences being the angle up/down and left/right the snorkel makes with the air cleaner. You can drill out the spot welds and change that bit if you want. I have and have pics thereof in the Dad's Air Cleaner thread on FTE.

Thanks for all of the info Gary. It makes these kinds of factory equipment upgrades much easier and more fun.

I plan to use tin sheet metal like you would use for repairing a leaky roof because I have it around. It may be a bit flimsy, Id be open to better suggestions.

My lids OD is about 15-7/8".

My 300 snorkel and the one that came off of the air cleaner definitely dont share the same pattern. Maybe the 300 snorkel was an oddball and all v8 snorkels were the same? Hole spacing is identical, but thats about it.

20220406_094628.jpg.0b3972b3feabc0fb015790bc4d1cddaf.jpg

Thanks for all of the info Gary. It makes these kinds of factory equipment upgrades much easier and more fun.

I plan to use tin sheet metal like you would use for repairing a leaky roof because I have it around. It may be a bit flimsy, Id be open to better suggestions.

My lids OD is about 15-7/8".

My 300 snorkel and the one that came off of the air cleaner definitely dont share the same pattern. Maybe the 300 snorkel was an oddball and all v8 snorkels were the same? Hole spacing is identical, but thats about it.

My 5.0HO air cleaner's lid is 15 7/8" while the 351HO's lid is 17 7/8". :nabble_smiley_wink:

But I confess that I've not played with a 300's air cleaner, so I think you are right that the V8 snorkels had the same pattern but not the ones used on the 300. Sorry. :nabble_smiley_blush:

My 5.0HO air cleaner's lid is 15 7/8" while the 351HO's lid is 17 7/8". :nabble_smiley_wink:

But I confess that I've not played with a 300's air cleaner, so I think you are right that the V8 snorkels had the same pattern but not the ones used on the 300. Sorry. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Great! maybe that will help with ordering the right air filters going forward. Its also worth noting that the slightly smaller 5.0HO air cleaner can be made to work on a 300 with an Offenhauser intake (with assorted spacers), while the larger diameter 351 air cleaner almost certainly wouldnt fit.

Great! maybe that will help with ordering the right air filters going forward. Its also worth noting that the slightly smaller 5.0HO air cleaner can be made to work on a 300 with an Offenhauser intake (with assorted spacers), while the larger diameter 351 air cleaner almost certainly wouldnt fit.

Note that the 5.0HO air cleaner I have is a dual-snorkel unit. But obviously there were single-snorkel ones for the non-HO engines. And I'd bet that both take the same air filter.

Note that the 5.0HO air cleaner I have is a dual-snorkel unit. But obviously there were single-snorkel ones for the non-HO engines. And I'd bet that both take the same air filter.

So we think I have a standard 302 air cleaner, inexplicably made completely out of steel instead of having an aluminum base?

Yes. And my 5.0HO base is steel as well.

more progress. I got all of the cutting done and everything fitted. trial install on the truck looks fine. next it needs to be taken apart, everything cleaned up, then paint. after that all I need for cold air is an air filter. I like how cutting out the lip from the old air cleaner worked out. I doubt I could have done anything else as effective for the purpose of preventing excessive leak by, and it was fairly easy.

20220406_181004.jpg.2df745f4be0ab5d8206548dd2922c4e5.jpg

20220406_172306.jpg.f97dbce2f4a23fcd2fcd505a6066f106.jpg

more progress. I got all of the cutting done and everything fitted. trial install on the truck looks fine. next it needs to be taken apart, everything cleaned up, then paint. after that all I need for cold air is an air filter. I like how cutting out the lip from the old air cleaner worked out. I doubt I could have done anything else as effective for the purpose of preventing excessive leak by, and it was fairly easy.

Looks good! I think that is going to work well. :nabble_smiley_good: