Bullnose Forums

1986 F150 4.9L Feedback carburetor

86F150CA

Congrat's!!!!! Glad it passed. :nabble_anim_claps:

On the fuel gauge, it is probably the sending unit in the tank. They do that. :nabble_smiley_sad:

And on the temp gauge, the problem isn't the Instrument Cluster Voltage Regulator since the fuel gauge works and the ICVR powers those two awa the oil pressure gauge. Pull the wire off the temp gauge sender and ground it to the block or some other ground. With the key on the temp gauge should go to full scale in a few seconds. If so the gauge and wiring are good and the sending unit is bad.

Possible thread hijack: I too have had odd sending unit behavior. I replaced mine a year or so ago (the stock one was burned), and the only one that worked at all is a newer "printed" design (not wirewound like the original). It drops to 1/4 a tank pretty quickly, but past there the motion slows (it's consistent and gradual, not dead zones or sudden drops). Almost seems like the sending element (potentiometer) has a logarithmic output (like used for audio volume controls) but the gauge (and stock sending units) are linear. I haven't pulled it out and measured it to confirm this. Just noting that it's quirky and has nearly gotten me killed by my wife a couple times.

---

My idle (similar 300 EEC IV feedback YFA) is around 1600RPM when stone cold at startup (due to the fast idle cam)... when warm (and of the idle cam) it idles around 800RPM or so.

• 5 months later...
Congrat's!!!!! Glad it passed. :nabble_anim_claps:On the fuel gauge, it is probably the sending unit in the tank. They do that. :nabble_smiley_sad:And on the temp gauge, the problem isn't the Instrument Cluster Voltage Regulator since the fuel gauge works and the ICVR powers those two awa the oil pressure gauge. Pull the wire off the temp gauge sender and ground it to the block or some other ground. With the key on the temp gauge should go to full scale in a few seconds. If so the gauge and wiring are good and the sending unit is bad.
Gary,

It took me 6 months to get around to the truck issues, but you were absolutely right on both counts.  Temperature sending unit was easy once I knew where to find it.  I got help with the fuel sending unit and now it works properly.

Thanks again.

From: "Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum]" <redacted_email_address>

Date: Monday, November 9, 2020 at 1:12 PM

To: 86F150CA <redacted_email_address>

Subject: Re: 1986 F150 4.9L Feedback carburetor

Congrat's!!!!!  Glad it passed.  

On the fuel gauge, it is probably the sending unit in the tank.  They do that.  

And on the temp gauge, the problem isn't the Instrument Cluster Voltage Regulator since the fuel gauge works and the ICVR powers those two awa the oil pressure gauge.  Pull the wire off the temp gauge sender and ground it to the block or some other ground.  With the key on the temp gauge should go to full scale in a few seconds.  If so the gauge and wiring are good and the sending unit is bad.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow":Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches

Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/1986-F150-4-9L-Feedback-carburetor-tp77008p79001.html

To unsubscribe from 1986 F150 4.9L Feedback carburetor,click here.

NAML