Bullnose Forums

"Powered by Ford" Grand Wagoneer...

FoxFord33

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some pics from our adventure yesterday. Turns out it was a '93 E350 so was fairly heavy. But I'll let Steve 'splain all the bits and pieces of it.

But Big Blue and his accoutrements made the job fairly easy. The 12K winch attached to the rear axle seemed to persuade the van to come out of its divots in the ground, which were substantial. And the on-board air allowed us to air up the trailer tires, as well as the air bags on Big Blue, to 60 PSI and that leveled things out nicely. Plus the front hitch made positioning the trailer easy.

As for the ability to pull that load, lets just say that the 460 shrugged off a couple of 2nd gear starts. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Good job all around. :nabble_anim_claps:

Gary, your trailer continues to earn its keep!

At least the brakes hadn't frozen while the van slept these past few years.

Steve is a couple of steps closer to his powered by Ford Wagoneer and has some parts to offset the purchase of the van.

These things seem to be beloved by Church groups and run for decades because of short funds and the fact they only drive on Sundays.

The PSOM and steering column are definitely in demand, the ECU as well, if it has good Caps.

Good job all around. :nabble_anim_claps:

Gary, your trailer continues to earn its keep!

At least the brakes hadn't frozen while the van slept these past few years.

Steve is a couple of steps closer to his powered by Ford Wagoneer and has some parts to offset the purchase of the van.

These things seem to be beloved by Church groups and run for decades because of short funds and the fact they only drive on Sundays.

The PSOM and steering column are definitely in demand, the ECU as well, if it has good Caps.

Thanks, Jim.

Yes, the trailer comes in really handy. But we didn't mention that Steve and I spent an hour clearing leftover stuff from last year's show/swap meet off of it. I'd left all that stuff on as I didn't have a good place, nor the energy, to move it. So the trailer will be the transport for it again this fall.

As for the van, it rolled nicely and once we raised the front of the trailer with the jack to let the bumper clear the trailer it came right on. But maybe one part of why it rolled so easily is that it was parked because the brakes had gone out.

I'm not sure what Steve's plans are, but I think I'd consider firing the engine up and seeing what shape it is in. Perhaps, being a "church van only driven on Sundays" it has little wear and can be used the way it is. That can be determined by changing the oil and getting gas to it, and then running a leak-down test after it has run for a bit. (I know you know that, but I'm outlining it for Steve.)

And it might not be a big loss if he has to put a new tank and fuel delivery module in the van as he's going to need them for the Wagoneer, although maybe not the same tank/FDM if it won't fit.

If the engine seems to be in decent shape he could use it and the speed-density EFI system that is on it, pretty much as it is. We talked yesterday about the probable need to lengthen the wires twixt the PDB and the ECU, but that's not a big deal and will allow him to mount the ECU wherever is handy.

And yes, I think he can sell a bunch of parts and actually make money on this deal. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks, Jim.

Yes, the trailer comes in really handy. But we didn't mention that Steve and I spent an hour clearing leftover stuff from last year's show/swap meet off of it. I'd left all that stuff on as I didn't have a good place, nor the energy, to move it. So the trailer will be the transport for it again this fall.

As for the van, it rolled nicely and once we raised the front of the trailer with the jack to let the bumper clear the trailer it came right on. But maybe one part of why it rolled so easily is that it was parked because the brakes had gone out.

I'm not sure what Steve's plans are, but I think I'd consider firing the engine up and seeing what shape it is in. Perhaps, being a "church van only driven on Sundays" it has little wear and can be used the way it is. That can be determined by changing the oil and getting gas to it, and then running a leak-down test after it has run for a bit. (I know you know that, but I'm outlining it for Steve.)

And it might not be a big loss if he has to put a new tank and fuel delivery module in the van as he's going to need them for the Wagoneer, although maybe not the same tank/FDM if it won't fit.

If the engine seems to be in decent shape he could use it and the speed-density EFI system that is on it, pretty much as it is. We talked yesterday about the probable need to lengthen the wires twixt the PDB and the ECU, but that's not a big deal and will allow him to mount the ECU wherever is handy.

And yes, I think he can sell a bunch of parts and actually make money on this deal. :nabble_smiley_good:

Clearing out the trailer sounds like WORK!

But the two of you got it done, and got on with the job at hand. Teamwork makes the dream work. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I did notice the exceptional rear overhang but didn't realize that the trailer was tilted to help get the van on.

It certainly would be nice to get an idea of how the 351 runs before pulling it all apart.

Clearing out the trailer sounds like WORK!

But the two of you got it done, and got on with the job at hand. Teamwork makes the dream work. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I did notice the exceptional rear overhang but didn't realize that the trailer was tilted to help get the van on.

It certainly would be nice to get an idea of how the 351 runs before pulling it all apart.

I was WORK (Maynard G. Krebs), but Steve made it much easier. He's a big guy and lifted the business end of the shop crane off all by itself. Then he picked up the T19 and carried it off. And I "let" him carry the totes FULL of books all by himself. :nabble_smiley_wink:

On the trailer, I got to design bits of it myself, and I wanted a significant dovetail to make loading easier. That comes in really handy, and in the few cases like Saturday where the bumper hits you just use the trailer jack to raise the front and lower the rear.

I was WORK (Maynard G. Krebs), but Steve made it much easier. He's a big guy and lifted the business end of the shop crane off all by itself. Then he picked up the T19 and carried it off. And I "let" him carry the totes FULL of books all by himself. :nabble_smiley_wink:

On the trailer, I got to design bits of it myself, and I wanted a significant dovetail to make loading easier. That comes in really handy, and in the few cases like Saturday where the bumper hits you just use the trailer jack to raise the front and lower the rear.

I agree with the both of you; I could start this heap to see if it has any significant or obvious problems. One being that half of the battery cable departed when the battery did, I imagine. But I have some of that stuff to make it happen temporarily.

It's better to test what you can all together!

I agree with the both of you; I could start this heap to see if it has any significant or obvious problems. One being that half of the battery cable departed when the battery did, I imagine. But I have some of that stuff to make it happen temporarily.

It's better to test what you can all together!

I have a few spare battery cables, and I know a guy with a crimper and terminals if you have to make one. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And we could take the aux battery out of Big Blue if you don't have access to one for starting. Or we could maybe wire directly to BB.

I have a few spare battery cables, and I know a guy with a crimper and terminals if you have to make one. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And we could take the aux battery out of Big Blue if you don't have access to one for starting. Or we could maybe wire directly to BB.

Very good! I do have the Jeep's battery in good condition right now, and I might have enough cable for an attempt. I am going to do some looking this evening. If I can't hike it with my equipment, I'll give a shout.

:nabble_smiley_good:

Today's discoveries:

1. The seatbelt risers actually are cracked apart, but cleanly so that it looks like they are meant to be that way. The plastic tubes are spacious, though. They are pinched at the neck where the buckle protrudes from the plastic, so only one tight spot. Seems like an improved design.

20230508_165009.jpg.7a660adad0232952cf68a65335e3246c.jpg

2. There is not very much coolant in the radiator. No obvious damage, but it will warrant a closer look.

3. The cable bundle traveling toward the starter was cut with a tool, about level with the power steering can lid. I suspect the same person who took the cat took the batt. Or if not, they've probably met at the scrap yard. Oh well. Here's what I need to connect in order to try a start:

20230508_172510.jpg.2ba3107d1273452442ba6ebda8d37740.jpg

I believe I know what the biggest wires do. I will have to look into the others re: necessity for starting the motor and cycling the fuel pump.