Bullnose Forums

"Powered by Ford" Grand Wagoneer...

FoxFord33

After a hiatus caused by hard economic times for me, I have news of progress.

I have found a donor vehicle. No details yet, so I don't jinx it, but this weekend I am aiming to collect a van for its 5.8L with roller cam.

This is just the impetus I have been looking for! I just hope it turns out to be useable.

It has been a long time since last I posted, and I have been using that time to strip down everything on the Jeep. Chasing rust out of the rocker panels, etc...

Now, I will have a new adventure in figuring out how to remove the drivetrain from an E-series. But, hey! Factory Serpentine system, complete with ham can power steering! I am very excited about the prospect of boosting the number of parts in my "Got It" column. I just need to remember where I put that document, or link a new one...

More information forthcoming. Just too excited not to post. Finally! Potential Progress!

Excellent! That van should work out nicely as a donor.

So, we are going after it on Friday? I'll text you re a starting time to unload the trailer, get it out, etc. But I think Big Blue is ready. We just rode him hard for 525 miles and put him away wet so I'll have to check him over before we go, but have a couple of days in which to do that.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent! That van should work out nicely as a donor.

So, we are going after it on Friday? I'll text you re a starting time to unload the trailer, get it out, etc. But I think Big Blue is ready. We just rode him hard for 525 miles and put him away wet so I'll have to check him over before we go, but have a couple of days in which to do that.

I take it the van is a 4x2 with AOD / EAOD?

Question I have is on the auto what will it take to make it a 4x4?

I know the TH (GM) and think the TF (MOPAR) transmissions you have to change the output shafts as there is 1 shaft for 4x2 and another for 4x4.

I say this because I used a AMC bell housing TH400 out of a Waganer and being a 4x4 I had to change the output shaft. This was not a bad thing as it was going in my AMC power drag car.

Because the output shaft is the last to come out and first to go in you are talking a trans rebuild.

This may not be a bad thing depending on miles on it and then you know it is in good to go shape.

Just something to think about.

Dave ----

After a hiatus caused by hard economic times for me, I have news of progress.

I have found a donor vehicle. No details yet, so I don't jinx it, but this weekend I am aiming to collect a van for its 5.8L with roller cam.

This is just the impetus I have been looking for! I just hope it turns out to be useable.

It has been a long time since last I posted, and I have been using that time to strip down everything on the Jeep. Chasing rust out of the rocker panels, etc...

Now, I will have a new adventure in figuring out how to remove the drivetrain from an E-series. But, hey! Factory Serpentine system, complete with ham can power steering! I am very excited about the prospect of boosting the number of parts in my "Got It" column. I just need to remember where I put that document, or link a new one...

More information forthcoming. Just too excited not to post. Finally! Potential Progress!

You didn't say what year van? most of the later stuff 90's up the engine comes out the front. The bulkhead on top in front of radiator will come out in the center. Then just unhook everything and come out the front. Last 460 out of a van I pulled engine tranny and all.

You didn't say what year van? most of the later stuff 90's up the engine comes out the front. The bulkhead on top in front of radiator will come out in the center. Then just unhook everything and come out the front. Last 460 out of a van I pulled engine tranny and all.

As an update, we are set up to go get the van tomorrow. Hopefully we will remember to take pics. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Yes, it is. I know 4wd versions existed, but this is not that. However, with this addition, I will have TWO E4OD's to choose from/sell for project money. Maybe the trans shop would take one in trade for part of the bill? Or at least I could sell one outright. In order to change it to 4wd, the whole bean needs to be shelled, so I plan to have that done. Because, you are correct; a rebuild is a very good idea! My goal is to "reset the clock" on any components I can. So, Engine and Trans to be freshened and updated where possible. Not really any extra souping-up, but maximizing the life left and balancing with the natural power found in the 351.

As for the year, I believe it to be a 96 or 97, but either way it is a late model, so roller lifter compatible, if not already equipped (probably is already equipped). And, like Bruce Moose said, the powertrain should come forward out of its current home, straight forward into my shop once the van sits in the right position.

And Gary is going to try to help me with that! Which is generous of him. I sold a Ford truck in order to collect this Jeep project, so I have been without an effective work-type vehicle since then. The eventual plan is to have a trailer for the Jeep, so I can get back to hauling my own stuff! I can tell you that a 2010 Honda Odyssey can carry 10' lumber or conduit, if you accessorize the seats properly, but not a 15 passenger van with a turtle top. I am lucky enough to live near Gary, so this major haul will probably be a light workout for Big Blue!

Yes, it is. I know 4wd versions existed, but this is not that. However, with this addition, I will have TWO E4OD's to choose from/sell for project money. Maybe the trans shop would take one in trade for part of the bill? Or at least I could sell one outright. In order to change it to 4wd, the whole bean needs to be shelled, so I plan to have that done. Because, you are correct; a rebuild is a very good idea! My goal is to "reset the clock" on any components I can. So, Engine and Trans to be freshened and updated where possible. Not really any extra souping-up, but maximizing the life left and balancing with the natural power found in the 351.

As for the year, I believe it to be a 96 or 97, but either way it is a late model, so roller lifter compatible, if not already equipped (probably is already equipped). And, like Bruce Moose said, the powertrain should come forward out of its current home, straight forward into my shop once the van sits in the right position.

And Gary is going to try to help me with that! Which is generous of him. I sold a Ford truck in order to collect this Jeep project, so I have been without an effective work-type vehicle since then. The eventual plan is to have a trailer for the Jeep, so I can get back to hauling my own stuff! I can tell you that a 2010 Honda Odyssey can carry 10' lumber or conduit, if you accessorize the seats properly, but not a 15 passenger van with a turtle top. I am lucky enough to live near Gary, so this major haul will probably be a light workout for Big Blue!

Sounds good, Steve. See you in the morning. :nabble_smiley_good:

Sounds good, Steve. See you in the morning. :nabble_smiley_good:

Here are some pics from our adventure yesterday. Turns out it was a '93 E350 so was fairly heavy. But I'll let Steve 'splain all the bits and pieces of it.

But Big Blue and his accoutrements made the job fairly easy. The 12K winch attached to the rear axle seemed to persuade the van to come out of its divots in the ground, which were substantial. And the on-board air allowed us to air up the trailer tires, as well as the air bags on Big Blue, to 60 PSI and that leveled things out nicely. Plus the front hitch made positioning the trailer easy.

As for the ability to pull that load, lets just say that the 460 shrugged off a couple of 2nd gear starts. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Steve_Hooking_E350_To_Winch.jpg.9daaf8d04f0cb4f624e17efb90390761.jpg

E350_Starting_Onto_Trailer.jpg.3f5ce027392bdfc94ee3230acfed8e5d.jpg

E350_Almost_On_Trailer.jpg.50601ba11a2aee23c647ea2db15f2cda.jpg

Steve__E350_Loaded_On_Trailer.jpg.58c6ba1f7a4db5eeefc5ba9e61fe2f0e.jpg

Christina_Unloading_E350.jpg.1c01851e281071b12ea6eeedd1b1b7e3.jpg

Here are some pics from our adventure yesterday. Turns out it was a '93 E350 so was fairly heavy. But I'll let Steve 'splain all the bits and pieces of it.

But Big Blue and his accoutrements made the job fairly easy. The 12K winch attached to the rear axle seemed to persuade the van to come out of its divots in the ground, which were substantial. And the on-board air allowed us to air up the trailer tires, as well as the air bags on Big Blue, to 60 PSI and that leveled things out nicely. Plus the front hitch made positioning the trailer easy.

As for the ability to pull that load, lets just say that the 460 shrugged off a couple of 2nd gear starts. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Yes, it was a good adventure!

Yes, I got the van.

No, it was not a "96 or 97" like the guy thought it was. I am now hearing that little voice in the back of my head saying, "should've run the VIN!" and I say back to him, "where were you before I bought it?"

I know I could have run the VIN, but the price was so low, it almost doesn't matter. It has a 5.8L with all the trappings of an E-350. E4OD, Dana 61 rear axle, four good 8-lug wheels, air conditioner, trans cooler, etc, etc,... It doesn't leak oil, so that's a pretty good sign.

Looking under, I have found an empty space where the catalytic converter was. Anyone could've crawled in there and took it in the last few years when it was sitting. Also, the battery is gone, but I don't need old batteries anyway.

As for having a roller motor, it is do-able with hand tools and a sharp drill bit. I just have to make sure I get quality lifters and cam, since metallurgy is becoming a lost art among parts suppliers. It may be I just use the twin drop-in roller lifters. Or, in the worst case, I track down another block which is already roller and sell this one off, keeping the goodies I need.

So I have begun with the E-350 (maybe nicknamed "the Heap" on account of its size) by taking the grill off today. Maybe later this afternoon I will drain some fluids to remove trans cooler and radiator...

Does anyone know if there is a market for passenger van seats? I have two of the "narrow" benches for 3 passengers, and one wide back bench for 4. Gary, I do have two of the plastic floor stands with seatbelts loaded, but one looks cracked over, and they may be extra long. I am also willing to part with the D61 axle, if someone can use that. There may be other things, if it's stuff I'm not using. Feel free to message me about it.

Maybe the discovery of the year model has doused my flame a tiny bit, but I'm still excited. For the price, I will have made out like a bandit, and the people I bought it from were so happy to see it go.

Once again, a big thanks to Gary for all his help!

Yes, it was a good adventure!

Yes, I got the van.

No, it was not a "96 or 97" like the guy thought it was. I am now hearing that little voice in the back of my head saying, "should've run the VIN!" and I say back to him, "where were you before I bought it?"

I know I could have run the VIN, but the price was so low, it almost doesn't matter. It has a 5.8L with all the trappings of an E-350. E4OD, Dana 61 rear axle, four good 8-lug wheels, air conditioner, trans cooler, etc, etc,... It doesn't leak oil, so that's a pretty good sign.

Looking under, I have found an empty space where the catalytic converter was. Anyone could've crawled in there and took it in the last few years when it was sitting. Also, the battery is gone, but I don't need old batteries anyway.

As for having a roller motor, it is do-able with hand tools and a sharp drill bit. I just have to make sure I get quality lifters and cam, since metallurgy is becoming a lost art among parts suppliers. It may be I just use the twin drop-in roller lifters. Or, in the worst case, I track down another block which is already roller and sell this one off, keeping the goodies I need.

So I have begun with the E-350 (maybe nicknamed "the Heap" on account of its size) by taking the grill off today. Maybe later this afternoon I will drain some fluids to remove trans cooler and radiator...

Does anyone know if there is a market for passenger van seats? I have two of the "narrow" benches for 3 passengers, and one wide back bench for 4. Gary, I do have two of the plastic floor stands with seatbelts loaded, but one looks cracked over, and they may be extra long. I am also willing to part with the D61 axle, if someone can use that. There may be other things, if it's stuff I'm not using. Feel free to message me about it.

Maybe the discovery of the year model has doused my flame a tiny bit, but I'm still excited. For the price, I will have made out like a bandit, and the people I bought it from were so happy to see it go.

Once again, a big thanks to Gary for all his help!

Happy to help, Steve.

As for the sheath, they might be long but let's look them over. Also, how 'bout some pics, like of the seats including the front buckets? (All of my pics above were uploaded with the "Big" setting as some of them came in at about a meg even on the smallest setting.)

Any chance of running the engine w/o rebuilding it? How many miles on it?

By the way, remember that WelderScott can weld anything to anything so might be able to fix the leak on that NP208.

Happy to help, Steve.

As for the sheath, they might be long but let's look them over. Also, how 'bout some pics, like of the seats including the front buckets? (All of my pics above were uploaded with the "Big" setting as some of them came in at about a meg even on the smallest setting.)

Any chance of running the engine w/o rebuilding it? How many miles on it?

By the way, remember that WelderScott can weld anything to anything so might be able to fix the leak on that NP208.

Here are some pictures after grille removal, and some of the seatbelts. They aren't damaged, just one is loose.

20230507_203007.jpg.5981b817c12ee401b7c4f656df1a84e1.jpg

20230507_202950.jpg.914d4883a69b0b38d045b93cb62577bb.jpg

20230507_203153.jpg.86ae24503cf2e4317efe6683956ac8bb.jpg

20230507_203144.jpg.66cda64007fafe0fbc421e54aae49330.jpg

And they are 16.5" from floor to tip of buckle.