Bullnose Forums

83 F100 Upgrade

Bisquik1959

What did you do Dave?

Weld them on the inside and bondo over them?

{dont tell any one}yes welded the bolts in from the back side but no bondo as I filled the hole in and ground it down flush.

I was looking to have them wrapped in chrome but could not find any one out of 4 shops, that would do it so I painted silver and clear coated them {/dont tell any one}

I also added the driving / fog lights into the front bumper as no one sells them like that.

They have that front bumper (with bolt holes) for the 70's trucks through LMC.

Dave ----

What did you do Dave?

Weld them on the inside and bondo over them?

{dont tell any one}yes welded the bolts in from the back side but no bondo as I filled the hole in and ground it down flush.

I was looking to have them wrapped in chrome but could not find any one out of 4 shops, that would do it so I painted silver and clear coated them {/dont tell any one}

I also added the driving / fog lights into the front bumper as no one sells them like that.

They have that front bumper (with bolt holes) for the 70's trucks through LMC.

Dave ----

I remember you saying that you couldn't find someone to wrap them in 'chrome' when you cut the lights into them.

But I must have missed the hidden bolt part.

Yeah it makes sense to weld and grind.

I can't hide the bolts on my massive wraparound bumper because there are two coming in from each end.

I remember you saying that you couldn't find someone to wrap them in 'chrome' when you cut the lights into them.

But I must have missed the hidden bolt part.

Yeah it makes sense to weld and grind.

I can't hide the bolts on my massive wraparound bumper because there are two coming in from each end.

I had to build new brackets because the old bumper was all welded together. I generally have steel on hand so I just fabbed up a set.

I love the built in fog light look. If chrome wasn't so expensive in SoCal, I would try that. I have some pieces on my 55 that need chromed and the cost can be ridiculous.

Who would of thought that there was a factory license plate bracket and light hiding under the back of the bed?!http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n91534/20210317_163009.jpg

My truck came without a bumper from the factory and I'm going to keep it that way. But I'm missing that bracket and light. I assume you took it off before you put on the new bumper. If you kept it, can you post a pic? Thanks in advance. Where was it bolted to?

Who would of thought that there was a factory license plate bracket and light hiding under the back of the bed?!http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n91534/20210317_163009.jpg

My truck came without a bumper from the factory and I'm going to keep it that way. But I'm missing that bracket and light. I assume you took it off before you put on the new bumper. If you kept it, can you post a pic? Thanks in advance. Where was it bolted to?

It is tucked up there real neat. I just left it all in tact. I can take a better pic later of what it was attached to.

• 3 weeks later...

It is tucked up there real neat. I just left it all in tact. I can take a better pic later of what it was attached to.

My exhaust from the cat back was pretty old and crusty. Just put on a Jegs dual chamber muffler and new pipe all the way out. Looks good but a bit disappointed in the sound. The cat muffles it too much and of course in Commiefornia, I have to keep it.

On the other hand, my 55 Dodge has 2.5 duals with Flowmaster Super 10's. I need ear plugs in that while driving. So I guess I should just be happy that one of the trucks sounds good.

My exhaust from the cat back was pretty old and crusty. Just put on a Jegs dual chamber muffler and new pipe all the way out. Looks good but a bit disappointed in the sound. The cat muffles it too much and of course in Commiefornia, I have to keep it.

On the other hand, my 55 Dodge has 2.5 duals with Flowmaster Super 10's. I need ear plugs in that while driving. So I guess I should just be happy that one of the trucks sounds good.

Little late now but what it you were to run just the cat, no muffler (straight pipe in its place), out through the tail pipe. Dont think they check for a muffler do they?

Its been 5+ years and dont remember what mine sounded like but it also did not have a full system / tail pipe.

Dave ----

Little late now but what it you were to run just the cat, no muffler (straight pipe in its place), out through the tail pipe. Dont think they check for a muffler do they?

Its been 5+ years and dont remember what mine sounded like but it also did not have a full system / tail pipe.

Dave ----

Yup... bit late now. It did sound good when the muffler was on and it had no pipe, but did drone a bit. Without the muffler and just the cat, it sounds like some beat up truck where the exhaust fell off!

• 2 weeks later...

Yup... bit late now. It did sound good when the muffler was on and it had no pipe, but did drone a bit. Without the muffler and just the cat, it sounds like some beat up truck where the exhaust fell off!

After many tanks of fuel, I can say that I am not seeing a difference in fuel mileage with the front air dam on. But it also could he that this truck daily sees freeway speeds much higher than it was originally designed for in the 80's.

On another note, I finally got all the stereo upgrades done and it sounds good. A Sony head unit, 6.5" Kickers in the doors, 6x9 Bostons behind the seat and a Kicker powered sub behind the seat. Sounds nice and full now!

After many tanks of fuel, I can say that I am not seeing a difference in fuel mileage with the front air dam on. But it also could he that this truck daily sees freeway speeds much higher than it was originally designed for in the 80's.

On another note, I finally got all the stereo upgrades done and it sounds good. A Sony head unit, 6.5" Kickers in the doors, 6x9 Bostons behind the seat and a Kicker powered sub behind the seat. Sounds nice and full now!

I suspect the speed makes a much bigger difference than the spoiler. These trucks are worse than the proverbial barn door as they have recesses that hold air, like around the headlights and the grille. David/1986F150Six typically drives at lower speeds and the spoiler's effect can be seen. At higher speeds it'll probably be overlooked.

But glad the sound system is working for you. :nabble_smiley_good: