Bullnose Forums

T2K-CAR

85lebaront2

Ingenious! Well done!

I was going to suggest what Crutchfield says about cutting a hole in the foam baffles to get better bass, but then realized that those are not intended for bass. Right? Do you have bigger speakers somewhere?

Gary, it is a K-car convertible, meaning smaller inside than a Taurus. The original factory system was 4 5 1/4" speakers, 2 in the doors and 2 in the rear seat side panels (where the top mechanism goes) and then 2 3" on top of the dash. The baffles are to cover the normally open back side of the rear speakers and there are 2 shallower ones for the front speakers due to the windows coming down there. The normal sub woofer location would be in the rear shelf area, but a convertible doesn't have one, something about a top well with a liner and drain hoses.

Crutchfield recommended the rear baffles due to the fact that the back side of those speakers aren't enclosed. Here is a picture of the dash top speaker on the driver's side, and one of the center stack put together. The button with AC on it is the hazard warning switch, and it is the one I need to find a red or clear lens for, and if clear a red hazard triangle on it.

DSCN4496.thumb.jpg.1df54d8502d6a05a6fb53d5f53ec2ca1.jpg

DSCN4498.thumb.jpg.1452d6f4189a2067ab8e4bc62e29b589.jpg

Gary, it is a K-car convertible, meaning smaller inside than a Taurus. The original factory system was 4 5 1/4" speakers, 2 in the doors and 2 in the rear seat side panels (where the top mechanism goes) and then 2 3" on top of the dash. The baffles are to cover the normally open back side of the rear speakers and there are 2 shallower ones for the front speakers due to the windows coming down there. The normal sub woofer location would be in the rear shelf area, but a convertible doesn't have one, something about a top well with a liner and drain hoses.

Crutchfield recommended the rear baffles due to the fact that the back side of those speakers aren't enclosed. Here is a picture of the dash top speaker on the driver's side, and one of the center stack put together. The button with AC on it is the hazard warning switch, and it is the one I need to find a red or clear lens for, and if clear a red hazard triangle on it.

Ok, got it. And you've already talked to Crutchfield. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the hazard switch, we had a discussion with Steve83 quite some time ago about creating labels to do just that. You might search for it, but I think he was saying there is a type of clear film you can print on with an inkjet printer. Might that work?

On the hazard switch, we had a discussion with Steve83 quite some time ago about creating labels to do just that. You might search for it, but I think he was saying there is a type of clear film you can print on with an inkjet printer. Might that work?

Probably would, just have the right diameter and go with it.

Avery makes acetate stickers you can print on.

Opacity with printer ink is an issue when something is backlit.

In commercial art we would use metallic paint or ink when we needed something light-fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Avery makes acetate stickers you can print on.

Opacity with printer ink is an issue when something is backlit.

In commercial art we would use metallic paint or ink when we needed something light-fast.

Nothing more on the hazard switch, but some more progress. I had gotten all of my rear interior pieces together and found in looking at the parts list that they are built in 3 sections then pop riveted together, 13 rivets per side. Chrysler serviced them per-upholstered and you ordered them by interior color code in the case of mine, cordovan, EE8, the 1985 was almond, EK1.

I drilled all the rivets out of the cordovan panels and carefully removed the upholstery and took the pieces to the shop up the road. He told me all he needed was one side, he could do a mirror image for the other. Once he has those done I will glue them on and cut the belt, access panel and light holes. I still have to find something for the speaker panels, my late wife and I did the 1985 ones in the almond with material from a shop in Hampton.

I also tried to see what was keeping the analog instrument cluster from working, it was just oxidation on the pins and connectors. I hit everything with some Radio Shack contact and volume control cleaner, plugged and unplugged everything several times, and it works perfectly (I wanted to use it as I set the odometer to the correct mileage).

Dash without the bottom panel.

DSCN4532.thumb.jpg.76f52d8104b6508a8dc852afe20f0832.jpg

Right rear quarter area and seat back support.

DSCN4533.thumb.jpg.6657d5218b89fa0cdc9d8380ac171bba.jpg

Left side sill cover fitted (keeps the pinch weld from destroying skin and pants).

DSCN4534.thumb.jpg.39dc92b4fdbc1236ab9b854106b1a984.jpg

Dash with lower cover installed.

DSCN4535.thumb.jpg.651f148bf3e9d18f5d5bdc9ff63c8342.jpg

Nothing more on the hazard switch, but some more progress. I had gotten all of my rear interior pieces together and found in looking at the parts list that they are built in 3 sections then pop riveted together, 13 rivets per side. Chrysler serviced them per-upholstered and you ordered them by interior color code in the case of mine, cordovan, EE8, the 1985 was almond, EK1.

I drilled all the rivets out of the cordovan panels and carefully removed the upholstery and took the pieces to the shop up the road. He told me all he needed was one side, he could do a mirror image for the other. Once he has those done I will glue them on and cut the belt, access panel and light holes. I still have to find something for the speaker panels, my late wife and I did the 1985 ones in the almond with material from a shop in Hampton.

I also tried to see what was keeping the analog instrument cluster from working, it was just oxidation on the pins and connectors. I hit everything with some Radio Shack contact and volume control cleaner, plugged and unplugged everything several times, and it works perfectly (I wanted to use it as I set the odometer to the correct mileage).

Dash without the bottom panel.

Right rear quarter area and seat back support.

Left side sill cover fitted (keeps the pinch weld from destroying skin and pants).

Dash with lower cover installed.

Hey! It is really started to look like a car, Bill. :nabble_smiley_good:

Really starting to take shape. One of these days it'll be done and you will be driving it - and loving it! :nabble_anim_claps:

Really starting to take shape. One of these days it'll be done and you will be driving it - and loving it! :nabble_anim_claps:

What he said :nabble_smiley_good:

Its got to feel good putting stuff back on hopefully for good.

Dave ----

What he said :nabble_smiley_good:

Its got to feel good putting stuff back on hopefully for good.

Dave ----

Thanks guys. It was originally going to get done after the 1985 was totaled in 2009 but several things sort of got in the way, like retiring, doing some things on the house over here on Virginia's appendix, selling the house in NN etc.

Thanks guys. It was originally going to get done after the 1985 was totaled in 2009 but several things sort of got in the way, like retiring, doing some things on the house over here on Virginia's appendix, selling the house in NN etc.

I wouldn't know about things getting in the way of Chizzler projects. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well, you're back in the hunt now.

Looking good, Bill! :nabble_smiley_good: