Bullnose Forums

Speedometer issue

84FS460

My 84 f250s speedometer quit working. I removed the speedo cable and hooked a drill up and the speedo works and the gear looks fine.I unhooked the cable at the speedo and drove, the cable spun while I went in reverse but tried to spin when I went forward. Bad drive gear and is it easy to replace in a BW1345 transfer case?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=BW+transfer+case+1345+6+teeth+speedometer+gear&docid=608032962567405723&mid=1B7849FDDC4DF7FD2FD61B7849FDDC4DF7FD2FD6&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

My 84 f250s speedometer quit working. I removed the speedo cable and hooked a drill up and the speedo works and the gear looks fine.I unhooked the cable at the speedo and drove, the cable spun while I went in reverse but tried to spin when I went forward. Bad drive gear and is it easy to replace in a BW1345 transfer case?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=BW+transfer+case+1345+6+teeth+speedometer+gear&docid=608032962567405723&mid=1B7849FDDC4DF7FD2FD61B7849FDDC4DF7FD2FD6&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

I did not find a NOS one [E0TZ-17285-C], but there is an aftermarket one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BW1345-FORD-SPEEDOMETER-DRIVE-GEAR-7-TEETH-WITH-STEEL-SLEEVE-1-375-ID-2-OD-/164157786811

David, I'm getting that yellow is 8-tooth.

It also has a different Ford E1TZ-17285A and Borg Warner 1345-110-006 number...

Jim,

This is what I read: This a New 7 tooth E0TZ-17285-C Ford Speedometer Drive gear. This fits BW1345 Transfer cases with the Steel sleeve 1.375 ID and 2" OD Speedometer Drive Gear. This on has the 2" OD and 1.375 ID steel sleeve. Do not be concerned with the color of the gear.

Jim,

This is what I read: This a New 7 tooth E0TZ-17285-C Ford Speedometer Drive gear. This fits BW1345 Transfer cases with the Steel sleeve 1.375 ID and 2" OD Speedometer Drive Gear. This on has the 2" OD and 1.375 ID steel sleeve. Do not be concerned with the color of the gear.

If it says "do not be concerned", I guess you shouldn't!

But I've never seen gears (on either side) that weren't properly colour coded.

That's why they're coloured after all.

Maybe these people can't be bothered changing pellets when they change the mold?

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed the problem and the speedo works again and it's pretty accurate.The drive gear is a different color but works fine and goes on ok.

Well done! But it looks like you now have a 7-toothed drive gear instead of the 8-toothed gear that was on there originally. I would think that would make your speedo read low by 13%. If that's true then you may want to reduce the driven gear tooth count by two.

Well done! But it looks like you now have a 7-toothed drive gear instead of the 8-toothed gear that was on there originally. I would think that would make your speedo read low by 13%. If that's true then you may want to reduce the driven gear tooth count by two.

I used a speedometer app on my phone and one of those street signs near school zones that tell you how fast your going to see what the real speed is and its off by one mph. I'm content with that.