Bullnose Forums

Restomod's on Brutus

Oh, but we agree! Restoration-modification and restoration-modernization are both restomods. :nabble_smiley_good:

The reason I go with "modification" is that it allows for installing older technology. For instance, I recently saw someone asking about installing a flathead in a Bullnose. That's not "modernization" but it certainly is "modification". And if for sure isn't "restoration".

I wouldn't call it a restomod.

Hot Rod?

Sure... maybe.

By most of the definitions I've read of "restomod", any deviation from factory is a modification. So pointless ignition, as in Pertronix, would make it a restomod.

But you are right, there has to be some limit to that. If I added a right-hand rear view mirror, which most cars had but which my '69 Bee doesn't, would that be a mod? Technically yes, but there's no documentation on the vehicle to say it didn't have one, so... (Trust me, it needs one! The first day I had it I looked to the right and there was no car showing in the mirror so I started to move over. Then I realized there was no car showing in the mirror as there was no mirror. But, there was a car there!)

But to the question about the 429, that's a modification. But George's question about it being a clone is a good one. I guess I'd say that swapping the engine to a 429 makes it a restomod. But adding all of the badging and labels to say it is a Boss 429 is making it a clone.

So, maybe my personal dafynitions would be:

• Restoration: If it is essentially the way it rolled off the assembly line it is a restoration. Ok, maybe you can sneak a Pertronix module in the dash and go pointless and still call it a restoration. But you can't remove the Holley and put an AVS on there 'cause that's an improvement. :nabble_smiley_evil:

• Restomod: Anything that at, at first blush, looks like a restoration but turns out to be modified - for whatever reason. A 429 in a Mustang that didn't come with one would be one. An '85 F250 w/a '95 engine, transmission, front axle, and fuel system would be one.

• Clone: A vehicle that has had parts and badging changed to make it like, if not the same as, another vehicle. A 302-based '69 Mustang with a Boss 429 and all associated badging would be one. As would a '69 Bee with a Hemi and the associated D60 rear axle. (Note that Detroit put a D60 behind a Hemi and under a 460.)

This is a "fight" that will go on as long as we have cars & truck we can make "our own".

So if you don't count the EFI exh. manifolds that might help with power out put, what would my 81 F100 flare side truck be?

All the parts used were from an 81 F100 style side and all factory.

It's just that the metal ribbed bed floor & rear (dual) tank did not come on flare sides.

Dave ----

ps I have no issues calling it a "Restomod" as it has been changed from what the factory (never) did.

Then again the badge on the fender "Custom" is true :nabble_smiley_evil:

This is a "fight" that will go on as long as we have cars & truck we can make "our own".

So if you don't count the EFI exh. manifolds that might help with power out put, what would my 81 F100 flare side truck be?

All the parts used were from an 81 F100 style side and all factory.

It's just that the metal ribbed bed floor & rear (dual) tank did not come on flare sides.

Dave ----

ps I have no issues calling it a "Restomod" as it has been changed from what the factory (never) did.

Then again the badge on the fender "Custom" is true :nabble_smiley_evil:

How about a different term?

Rejuvomod.

Does that mean instead of restoring something, you just freshened it up a little bit???

This can go on and on. I totally agree with you guys on this. But when I was doing some research some years back about opening up a shop. The term restomod kept coming up, along with the conversation i had with my friend. it was my belief that restomod stood for Restoration/Modification. In this case, turning a 1969 Mustang into a Boss 429 would be considered restomod being the body of the car would have to be modified to be a Boss. The car would need to be totally restored and modified to be a Boss 429. I have also heard of this being called a clone.

Nick has a Starsky and Hutch Torino, an original that he bought new in 76. I've seen other Torino's made to look like Starsky and Hutch Torino's and these were called clones.

These would be called a clone since no body modifications were required.

A SuperBee, in order to make one, one would need a GTX and do major body modifications, just as the Boss 429, so this would be considered Restomod.

This is what i was led to believe.

Now some say Restoration/Modernization. This, i always was led to believe was simply a Custom job.

But like ya'll said, this could be a fight that goes on and on and on.

Brutus is definately not a restomod, either way Restoration/Modification or Restoration/Modernization, either way it would not count being Brutus is still an XLT Lariet and all the modifications we have done to it were improvements over what the factory did, nothing more, nothing less. It was like my friend told me the parts that i put on the truck are different then what it came with, it is considered restomod which i totally disagree with. its like Gary said, if he puts a right hand mirror on the Bee, is it restomod. NO, you could order a right hand mirror back in those days. yes my back bumper is different only in the sense that in 86, the bumper had a diamond plate pattern, 87 and up has the same bumper, but instead of the diamond plate looking stuff, it has plastic covering it., this in my opinion is not restomod. Brutus front bumper and mash bars, no. you could get them at the time.

And like Jim said, if i were to do something like take the front off my crown vic and put it on Brutus, it would be restomod, or would this be custom, see this is where it gets tricky

So in the end, is it Restoration/Modification, or Restoration/Moderinazation?

I guess its like Tomato and Tummotto

This can go on and on. I totally agree with you guys on this. But when I was doing some research some years back about opening up a shop. The term restomod kept coming up, along with the conversation i had with my friend. it was my belief that restomod stood for Restoration/Modification. In this case, turning a 1969 Mustang into a Boss 429 would be considered restomod being the body of the car would have to be modified to be a Boss. The car would need to be totally restored and modified to be a Boss 429. I have also heard of this being called a clone.

Nick has a Starsky and Hutch Torino, an original that he bought new in 76. I've seen other Torino's made to look like Starsky and Hutch Torino's and these were called clones.

These would be called a clone since no body modifications were required.

A SuperBee, in order to make one, one would need a GTX and do major body modifications, just as the Boss 429, so this would be considered Restomod.

This is what i was led to believe.

Now some say Restoration/Modernization. This, i always was led to believe was simply a Custom job.

But like ya'll said, this could be a fight that goes on and on and on.

Brutus is definately not a restomod, either way Restoration/Modification or Restoration/Modernization, either way it would not count being Brutus is still an XLT Lariet and all the modifications we have done to it were improvements over what the factory did, nothing more, nothing less. It was like my friend told me the parts that i put on the truck are different then what it came with, it is considered restomod which i totally disagree with. its like Gary said, if he puts a right hand mirror on the Bee, is it restomod. NO, you could order a right hand mirror back in those days. yes my back bumper is different only in the sense that in 86, the bumper had a diamond plate pattern, 87 and up has the same bumper, but instead of the diamond plate looking stuff, it has plastic covering it., this in my opinion is not restomod. Brutus front bumper and mash bars, no. you could get them at the time.

And like Jim said, if i were to do something like take the front off my crown vic and put it on Brutus, it would be restomod, or would this be custom, see this is where it gets tricky

So in the end, is it Restoration/Modification, or Restoration/Moderinazation?

I guess its like Tomato and Tummotto

I'm following.

And I'll admit I missed where you said Boss 429.

I said the 429 was available in the Mustang back then so it wasn't a restomod.

If you were to do the body work I would call it a imposter/clone, not a restomod.

(It would really only be a clone if you changed it down to the most minute detail... DNA) like faking a VIN that reflected it was a Boss 429.

That's fraud and a crime, so let's not go there....

I certainly don't have anyone accusing me of a restomod.

I'd have to restore it before that could happen.

I'm following.

And I'll admit I missed where you said Boss 429.

I said the 429 was available in the Mustang back then so it wasn't a restomod.

If you were to do the body work I would call it a imposter/clone, not a restomod.

(It would really only be a clone if you changed it down to the most minute detail... DNA) like faking a VIN that reflected it was a Boss 429.

That's fraud and a crime, so let's not go there....

I certainly don't have anyone accusing me of a restomod.

I'd have to restore it before that could happen.

yea i agree with you there. Brutus is far from restored. Too many times people throw words around when they dont even know what they mean or some resemblence of what the word might mean.

yea i agree with you there. Brutus is far from restored. Too many times people throw words around when they dont even know what they mean or some resemblence of what the word might mean.

If you want to get hypertechnical here. Lets say changing a mustang into a boss 429 is a restomod. Then the originals would be considered that too. Ford did not make the Boss 429 mustangs. They were sent out to a custom shop to have the body modifications done and to actually make the engine fit in the car, hence why the battery is in the trunk.

If you want to get hypertechnical here. Lets say changing a mustang into a boss 429 is a restomod. Then the originals would be considered that too. Ford did not make the Boss 429 mustangs. They were sent out to a custom shop to have the body modifications done and to actually make the engine fit in the car, hence why the battery is in the trunk.

Plenty of shops like KarKraft, Hollman Moody and Shelby did work for the corporate entity.

If you could buy it new off the showroom floor it was either a model, or a performance package, but definitely not 'modified' in my book.

Then again I don't agree with modified, and only go with modernized.

A 1969 Mustang with four wheel ventilated rotors and 20" wheels would be modernized imo.

Because neither of those things existed at that time.

George - I think you have Super Bees and Superbirds confused. The Super Bee was a B-body Dodge hot rod, but without a wing. It was basically a Dodge Coronet with a hot engine and H/D suspension The Superbird was a heavily modified Plymouth Road Runner with a wing and was designed for super speedways. Dodge also had a winged racer, the Charger Daytona but, as the name implies, it was based on the Charger and not the Coronet.

The Dodge hot rods were the Super Bee, with a base 383, and the R/T with a base 440. The Plymouth hot rods were the Road Runner, with a 383 base, and the GTX with a 440 base.