Bullnose Forums

6" Rough Country Lift 1982 Flareside

Ray Cecil

ive spent a little time combing through the documentation section.

I have a question about the new eccentric bushings. How difficult are they to install? Do I need to pull the axles and remove the entire spindle/hub assembly? Or do I just remove the nut on top of the upper ball joint and can gain access to the eccentric bushing?

I have the entire front axle assembly on the ground under the truck. I need to replace the eccentrics, and pivot bushings. I have a press, but no way to get the entire axle assembly in a position to press out the pivot bushings. Any suggestions on the pivot bushing removal and install?

You remove the nut and that does give you access to the eccentric. But in my experience if they've been on a while you have to drive them off.

To remove the pivot bushings I used a piece of 1/2" all-thread and something that just fit and pulled them out that way. IOW, I made a puller.

You remove the nut and that does give you access to the eccentric. But in my experience if they've been on a while you have to drive them off.

To remove the pivot bushings I used a piece of 1/2" all-thread and something that just fit and pulled them out that way. IOW, I made a puller.

A sharp smack on the side with a 3-4# lump hammer, once you've got some tension on it (just like popping off a Pitman arm) can help if they really seem stuck.

Thanks Jim and Gary. Gary, if you can remember, you and I replaced the axle pivot bushings in my first bullnose. I remember doing it, and having the truck on the lift, but I couldnt remember how we got the bushing out.

Thanks Jim and Gary. Gary, if you can remember, you and I replaced the axle pivot bushings in my first bullnose. I remember doing it, and having the truck on the lift, but I couldnt remember how we got the bushing out.

I take it you have to do something with the drive shafts with a 6" lift no?

Dave ----

Ray - I'd forgotten about that. The one I was remembering was Dad's truck. But on one, if not both, I remember using all-thread to push the bushing out.

Ray - I'd forgotten about that. The one I was remembering was Dad's truck. But on one, if not both, I remember using all-thread to push the bushing out.

I have a bunch of pullers, and all thread. The hard part might be finding a piece of pipe with a large enough ID to go over the flanged side of the bushing.

If I can get the inner steel sleeve out of the bushing I can use a larger all thread. We will see.

My Rock Auto order shipped, so looking forward to that.

I also went a little redneck and ordered air horns that play the first notes of DixieLand.....Murica!!

Dave ----

Nothing on their website or in the literature suggest that you have to do anything with the driveshaft. The rear shaft is fine. We will see about the front.

I take it that is with the weight on the suspension?

What about suspension drop, hanging is it too short or the joints bind?

On suspensions that have issues with hang you install limit straps to keep it from dropping to far.

Hope you get lucky and don't need to "adjust" for the lift.

Dave ----

Dave ----

Nothing on their website or in the literature suggest that you have to do anything with the driveshaft. The rear shaft is fine. We will see about the front.

I take it that is with the weight on the suspension?

What about suspension drop, hanging is it too short or the joints bind?

On suspensions that have issues with hang you install limit straps to keep it from dropping to far.

Hope you get lucky and don't need to "adjust" for the lift.

Dave ----

Dave, its still the stock geometry, just spaced 6". The rear axle lift blocks correct the pinion angle to prevent driveshaft bind.

Not sure how the pinion angle is set on the front, but I suspect the radius arm bushing holes in the new drop brackets are located in relation to the new axle pivot drop brackets in order to maintain the pinion angle. They do recommend new eccentric bushings for chamber adjustment.

Dave, its still the stock geometry, just spaced 6". The rear axle lift blocks correct the pinion angle to prevent driveshaft bind.

Not sure how the pinion angle is set on the front, but I suspect the radius arm bushing holes in the new drop brackets are located in relation to the new axle pivot drop brackets in order to maintain the pinion angle. They do recommend new eccentric bushings for chamber adjustment.

Ray,

You didn't space the transfer case down 6".

If A remains the same

And B increases 6"

Then C has to increase in accordance *with Pythagorean theorem.