Bullnose Forums

Electrical Issues - 84 F250

swampedout

Remove the positive lead from the main battery and put them on the charger tonight, so they are topped off before you start testing.

Ive had them on the charger this weekend so last I checked they were at 13.09 with the charger running.

Also, since I put a new regulator in last winter, the alternator charges fine. So if I can get the truck started in the morning, Im usually fine.

I just reread what you said about that tool, Gary, and I might be making another trip to HF soon.

Also, as Ive mentioned before, this truck has all sorts of loose wires from removed accesories. Whats a good way to cap these until I sort them out?

Ive had them on the charger this weekend so last I checked they were at 13.09 with the charger running.

Also, since I put a new regulator in last winter, the alternator charges fine. So if I can get the truck started in the morning, Im usually fine.

I just reread what you said about that tool, Gary, and I might be making another trip to HF soon.

Also, as Ive mentioned before, this truck has all sorts of loose wires from removed accesories. Whats a good way to cap these until I sort them out?

You changed the regulator but that doesn't mean the triode inside the alternator is good.

Use the diode test function of your multimeter with the charge cable disconnected to make sure there's no continuity to ground.

Probably the easiest solution for random loose wire ends is to cover them in adhesive shrink tube.

You can get a plastic box assortment at Horrid Fate for $2.99.

You changed the regulator but that doesn't mean the triode inside the alternator is good.

Use the diode test function of your multimeter with the charge cable disconnected to make sure there's no continuity to ground.

Probably the easiest solution for random loose wire ends is to cover them in adhesive shrink tube.

You can get a plastic box assortment at Horrid Fate for $2.99.

I did another draw test again and all I found was a very short blip of a couple amps on the large cable that goes to the secondary battery. The only thing powered directly off the secondary battery is the MSD ignition. I couldn't get the draw to show up again to be able to further trouble shoot.

I cleaned all my battery connections, but have too many other projects going on to track down wires today.

Well I replaced that yellow wire with a 10a fuse and guess what, now my aux fuel tank works! Previous owner said he dropped the tank twice and put a new pump in and still couldn't figure out why it didn't work.

It feels like I'm starting to get somewhere with this mess.

Well I replaced that yellow wire with a 10a fuse and guess what, now my aux fuel tank works! Previous owner said he dropped the tank twice and put a new pump in and still couldn't figure out why it didn't work.

:nabble_anim_claps:

Wonder why it did not work with the jumper :nabble_anim_confused:

Then again if the PO did all the wiring mess then I can see it not working :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Dave ----

Going to try to figure out why so many fuses are missing and why that yellow jumper wire is there in place of a fuse.

So what's the red wire stuck into the front of the panel?

I didn't think 10A was enough to run a fuel pump???

Maybe it's enough to pull in the relay?

I just don't know.

But I want to say GOOD JOB!

:nabble_anim_claps:

Wonder why it did not work with the jumper :nabble_anim_confused:

Then again if the PO did all the wiring mess then I can see it not working :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Dave ----

Very good!

I agree with Dave - odd that the jumper wire didn't work. Maybe it just wasn't seated fully. Either way, you're much better off now.