Bullnose Forums

Jim's 1982 300 Six Bronco Original Restoration

JimJam300

Just ordered my third member for the rear axle. It was about $300 more for a Strange Engineering iron case and a fancy pinion support, but with my 115 rated factory horsepower, I don't think I'm going to break anything back there. Nonetheless, it comes with Motive gears, Timken bearings, and the Eaton TrueTrac diff.

Selling the car I owed $4700 on for $13,700 has given me the ability to make some of these high dollar purchases to get this project moving. I think the rear end and everything in the vicinity will be at the bottom of the list of the more expensive things I will do.

Ah nevermind. I actually ended up pulling everything out. Time to clean the case and paint it!

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah nevermind. I actually ended up pulling everything out. Time to clean the case and paint it!

Well, been there, done that, and now it is dirty. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I actually powder coated the one for Big Blue, but then I took it offroading and it got dirty. Still, it cleans up so nicely that I'd do it again. :nabble_smiley_good:

Well, been there, done that, and now it is dirty. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I actually powder coated the one for Big Blue, but then I took it offroading and it got dirty. Still, it cleans up so nicely that I'd do it again. :nabble_smiley_good:

Looks great! Its interesting to see how different the t19 is.. if you plan to do a rebuild you will be replacing the bearings for the lower shaft anyways so it will have to come all the way appart. I would think a thorough cleaning before reassembly would be basically required. The easiest and probably best looking way to clean it would be to take it to an automotive machine shop to be tanked. I would have done tgat with mine but I decided to leave the reverse shaft and gear in place since there arent any servicable parts "down there" in the 435. Didnt want to "cook" that bearing.

You might even get "by the batch" pricing if you can find enough stuff to fill up the tank. Who knows. Bellhousing would be another good candidate

Looks great! Its interesting to see how different the t19 is.. if you plan to do a rebuild you will be replacing the bearings for the lower shaft anyways so it will have to come all the way appart. I would think a thorough cleaning before reassembly would be basically required. The easiest and probably best looking way to clean it would be to take it to an automotive machine shop to be tanked. I would have done tgat with mine but I decided to leave the reverse shaft and gear in place since there arent any servicable parts "down there" in the 435. Didnt want to "cook" that bearing.

You might even get "by the batch" pricing if you can find enough stuff to fill up the tank. Who knows. Bellhousing would be another good candidate

I didn't work on the truck today, but I did make some art...

bronc2.thumb.jpg.61b29e99bbd0ed22107dc645b4b70b7f.jpg

bronc3.thumb.jpg.86400bb135f73fb62ade1aac0e737925.jpg

I didn't work on the truck today, but I did make some art...

I purchased an overhaul kit with all bearings, gaskets, and synchro rings. I also got a first gear. I understand I also need assembly grease.

One thing I cannot find is a new 44 tooth reverse gear. Does anyone know where I could acquire one?

• 4 weeks later...

Loving the art!

Does anyone have info on getting transmission gears repaired at a machine shop? Like the cost and quality of work? I still haven't found a replacement for my reverse gears and I feel like it could probably be fixed by a good machinist but that's way out of my wheelhouse.

Does anyone have info on getting transmission gears repaired at a machine shop? Like the cost and quality of work? I still haven't found a replacement for my reverse gears and I feel like it could probably be fixed by a good machinist but that's way out of my wheelhouse.

I don't know anything about repairing gears. But have you tried Midwest Transmissions? They have always had the tranny parts I've needed.

I know this isnt an answer to the question, so sorry in advance.

In the only picture we have of the gear, it looks ok. Is there some kind of major flaw that isnt apparent in the photo? Personally, unless the gear is severely damaged with lots of broken/chipped teeth, cracks, etc, I would probably not worry about it. These transmissions went in trucks that weight twice what your bronco does, behind engines making twice the power and significantly more torque, and were often used for towing too. Its pretty overbuilt for a 3800 pound half ton that will never see 250ftlbs at the flywheel. Reverse is low speed, and you probably wont roll 2 miles in reverse in the next 2 decades.

I dont mean to be dismissive of your problem, I know that can be frustrating. Perhaps you could find a replacment gear from an otherwise unservicable junk yard tranny? Maybe someone in the tranny business ( like midwest) can find one?

I know this isnt an answer to the question, so sorry in advance.

In the only picture we have of the gear, it looks ok. Is there some kind of major flaw that isnt apparent in the photo? Personally, unless the gear is severely damaged with lots of broken/chipped teeth, cracks, etc, I would probably not worry about it. These transmissions went in trucks that weight twice what your bronco does, behind engines making twice the power and significantly more torque, and were often used for towing too. Its pretty overbuilt for a 3800 pound half ton that will never see 250ftlbs at the flywheel. Reverse is low speed, and you probably wont roll 2 miles in reverse in the next 2 decades.

I dont mean to be dismissive of your problem, I know that can be frustrating. Perhaps you could find a replacment gear from an otherwise unservicable junk yard tranny? Maybe someone in the tranny business ( like midwest) can find one?

I dont know who you tried for the parts but I have used https://www.thegearbox.org/home.html

for WC T5 parts for another project.

Dave ----