Bullnose Forums

Jim's 1982 300 Six Bronco Original Restoration

JimJam300

Jim/ArdWrknTrk - If you have several pictures of your work to make that shaft, or links to them, I'd love to put together a how-to. I've searched for your post(s) several times but it would be a lot easier to find it it was on the Documentation part of the site.

I know I did post a few photos of me welding it (making sure the splines at each end were clocked correctly)

But they're not on this phone.

I went to check Google photos and the above pic is the only one there.

Edit:see the next post...... 💡

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I did post a few photos of me welding it (making sure the splines at each end were clocked correctly)

But they're not on this phone.

I went to check Google photos and the above pic is the only one there.

Edit:see the next post...... 💡

Pics here, Sept 10 2020: https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/WHYDTYTT-What-Have-You-Done-To-Your-Truck-Today-tp148p74094.html

Laid out before any cutting.

IMG_20200811_075119.thumb.jpg.602d370da7709a4d217c8e4fbbb009ec.jpg

And installed:

IMG_20200911_101851.thumb.jpg.e76412ff16d8b80660c1bcd32fd44aa6.jpg

And this link here:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Lower-rag-joint-steering-shaft-used-tp126923p126939.html

Thanks, Jim. That pulls it all together. I'll see if I can get something whipped up soon, but am sure to be back with several questions. But I think I have several bits and pieces that may answer my own questions. :nabble_smiley_super:

If there is a decent way to replace the u-joint on the lower steering shaft I think I will be rebuilding it because it's too ugly to put back in like this.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n141570/IMG_3892.jpeg

I just replied in another thread that id adapted a later ('09-'14) lower shaft.

It does away with the rag joint and the sloppy plastic bushing.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Restore-of-my-1986-Bronco-XLT-tp137348p141979.html

Id be interested to see if anything turns up for the cab bolt cover plates.

Since I had to replace the floor anyway, I ended up making them round and getting some thick plastic bulkhead block-offs.

At least they'll never rust???

Edit to ask: did you change your username to match your YouTube channel?

I'll post pictures in a bit, but I ended up using an EPDM roof pipe flashing boot to seal the steering column to the firewall mount. I had to cut it up real good but it works perfectly.

Those are nice gaskets! I made mine out of weatherstrip tape, but yours look much better. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks Gary. I will have to spray them with water to see if they really do seal. The original seems like they chose foam for a reason, to better seal against the imperfections in that area of the sheet metal. We shall see. At least I know the EPDM will work great on the firewall.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Restore-of-my-1986-Bronco-XLT-tp137348p141979.html

Since I had to replace the floor anyway, I ended up making them round and getting some thick plastic bulkhead block-offs.

That's actually really nice. I think I like this better than the Borgeson because I was worried about it not collapsing in an accident and sending the steering wheel into my face.

I think I'm gonna bite the bullet on whatever I can find on amazon due to the return policy. LMC has the smaller 2x3" middle and mid-rear position covers in rubber and I don't think you'd be able to tell they're rubber with a carpet over them. LMC# 40-1289, Ford# F7LZ-63111A74-AA. LMC lists them as a part for 88-96. It would be nice to get the larger front ones in the same exact style. If I went the same route as you, yeah round sounds much easier to source, also there seems to be an endless supply of oval ones for JK Jeep Wranglers.

And yes I changed it. My old username dates back to when I was playing videogames at age 12...

• 2 weeks later...

I'll post pictures in a bit, but I ended up using an EPDM roof pipe flashing boot to seal the steering column to the firewall mount. I had to cut it up real good but it works perfectly.

Those are nice gaskets! I made mine out of weatherstrip tape, but yours look much better. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks Gary. I will have to spray them with water to see if they really do seal. The original seems like they chose foam for a reason, to better seal against the imperfections in that area of the sheet metal. We shall see. At least I know the EPDM will work great on the firewall.

That's actually really nice. I think I like this better than the Borgeson because I was worried about it not collapsing in an accident and sending the steering wheel into my face.

I think I'm gonna bite the bullet on whatever I can find on amazon due to the return policy. LMC has the smaller 2x3" middle and mid-rear position covers in rubber and I don't think you'd be able to tell they're rubber with a carpet over them. LMC# 40-1289, Ford# F7LZ-63111A74-AA. LMC lists them as a part for 88-96. It would be nice to get the larger front ones in the same exact style. If I went the same route as you, yeah round sounds much easier to source, also there seems to be an endless supply of oval ones for JK Jeep Wranglers.

And yes I changed it. My old username dates back to when I was playing videogames at age 12...

I'm at the end of my rope trying to find plugs for the front floorboard holes, so I'm just going to harvest some off a junkyard truck.

I finally got a new brake booster but I don't remember if there is a gasket that goes between the booster and master cylinder. In any case I can....make another EPDM gasket!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at the end of my rope trying to find plugs for the front floorboard holes, so I'm just going to harvest some off a junkyard truck.

I finally got a new brake booster but I don't remember if there is a gasket that goes between the booster and master cylinder. In any case I can....make another EPDM gasket!

Got my brakes all put back together, just need to bleed the system and hope my homemade lines hold.

In the meantime I'm trying to clear some space in the garage and the HVAC stuff uses a lot of it. New blower motor with fan. Not sure if the motor vent hose needs a hose clamp but I did it anyway.. New fan speed resistor. Took apart the vents completely to clean them up.

2.thumb.jpg.94265b64c8c94056f94afea35731906d.jpg

Blend door for the a/c (?) is in rough shape with rust bubbles, I don't think sandblasting and paint will help. I also can't seem to figure out how to remove it without breaking stuff. The plastic grille is about done. I'm not sure I want to put in the effort trying to find this part at a wrecking yard, so I'll probably use metal mesh or get rid of it. The a/c evaporator is in pretty good shape and still smells like refrigerant.

1.jpg.014d68f808f2c92ed8aadd9b22d49ebe.jpg

Where the rodents chewed up the fan, they also chewed up the ducting. I cut out that portion so I can patch it with a square piece of ABS plastic and epoxy, sand it down until I get a reasonable shape.

3.jpg.5985a84841c5697f7289ad15a39177a6.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.2975b9f3c8b790b5d1add6d077903cb3.jpg

It is on my to-do list to comb through the threads that Gary has documented his HVAC system rebuild.

Blend door for the a/c (?) is in rough shape with rust bubbles, I don't think sandblasting and paint will help. I also can't seem to figure out how to remove it without breaking stuff.

You can purchase a 3D printed blend door with hinge and integral actuator arm from Chuske here on the forum.

(I think there are instructions on drilling out the rivet as well)

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/blend-door-repair.html

Got my brakes all put back together, just need to bleed the system and hope my homemade lines hold.

In the meantime I'm trying to clear some space in the garage and the HVAC stuff uses a lot of it. New blower motor with fan. Not sure if the motor vent hose needs a hose clamp but I did it anyway.. New fan speed resistor. Took apart the vents completely to clean them up.

Blend door for the a/c (?) is in rough shape with rust bubbles, I don't think sandblasting and paint will help. I also can't seem to figure out how to remove it without breaking stuff. The plastic grille is about done. I'm not sure I want to put in the effort trying to find this part at a wrecking yard, so I'll probably use metal mesh or get rid of it. The a/c evaporator is in pretty good shape and still smells like refrigerant.

Where the rodents chewed up the fan, they also chewed up the ducting. I cut out that portion so I can patch it with a square piece of ABS plastic and epoxy, sand it down until I get a reasonable shape.

It is on my to-do list to comb through the threads that Gary has documented his HVAC system rebuild.

That looks like a lot of work, but should turn out very nicely - especially if you go with a new, much better, door like Jim suggested. Keep up the good work!

That looks like a lot of work, but should turn out very nicely - especially if you go with a new, much better, door like Jim suggested. Keep up the good work!

I think this is a different blend door, it's between the blower motor and the evaporator and is hinged on a metal rod, vacuum actuated