Bullnose Forums

Jim's 1982 300 Six Bronco Original Restoration

JimJam300

Chrysler put turbos on the 2.2L engines because they were getting killed in the market by Ford and GM who both had V6s in the K-car size range. Chevy had a 2.8L V6 optional in the Citation, Ford had a 4 cyl engine for the Taurus but it was only in fleet sales, most had a 3.0L V6. Until Chrysler got the Mitsubishi 3.0L OHC V6, their "big engine" was the 2.6L Mitsubishi 4 cyl, which was a mediocre performer with poor fuel economy.

Let's step back to 1964, Lee Iacocca was head of Ford Division and they had released a sensation in April, the Mustang. Dropping the Fairlane's HiPo 289 in the Mustang helped, but it needed to be a race winner if it was to really sell. In 1962 a Texas chicken farmer and former race car driver named Carol Shelby had an idea for a V8 powered sports car, Chevrolet turned him down on buying their engines, so he called Ford, Lee Lacocca thought he had a good idea and since the Ford 221/260 were a bit lighter than the Chevy it sounded good to Shelby. He was almost as much of a con artist as Smokey Yunick, He built a prototype after convincing AC cars he had an engine (he didn't at that time) and Ford that he had the cars (also not true at that time). He took it to car shows (I saw it in Norfolk VA) and painted it between shows so it looked like there were several cars. Iacocca called Shelby and asked if he thought he could make the Mustang into a race car to compete with the Corvettes, he did just that.

Now, Ford had canned Iacocca because he was getting too powerful and wasn't part of the family, he landed at Chrysler charged with saving them. When Ford fired him, all the projects he was working on were scrapped, one of which was a smaller FWD 6 passenger car, this was the basis for the K-car. Engines, Chrysler had just introduced a new 2.2L 4 cyl which was a decent running engine particularly in the Omni and Horizon. Iacocca wanted to add some spice to the lineup and called Shelby, first out was the Omni GLH for "goes like hell", a high compression 2.2L that put out 110HP carbureted, Chrysler was already building some turbocharged 2.2L engines that put out 142HP. Shelby put more boost, a better intake and an intercooler and upped it to 175HP. These were called Turbo II and had a forged crank, larger rods and a two piece intake. Dropped in an Omni, it became the GLHS Shelby and Chrysler's engineers came up with the turbo III, a DOHC 2.2L and the turbo IV a variable nozzle turbo and turbocharged the 2.5L that replaced the Mitsubishi 2.6L starting in 1986.

Is it weird I've seen more real-deal Shelby Cobras and GT-350s than turbo Mopars? Carroll Shelby also invented the chili cookoff competition.

I initially did up some aluminum fuel lines but after some reading online about corrosion I ripped them out and went stainless. Fuel tank is in for good. Just gotta bolt up the filler neck.

IMG_3771.jpg.2be7a10f6b8040606db7e58e8e88cc3e.jpg

IMG_3758.jpg.fdb3c8fb2be7ef841b72f5ad9dc57a35.jpg

Eventually I'll get good at bending this stuff.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it weird I've seen more real-deal Shelby Cobras and GT-350s than turbo Mopars? Carroll Shelby also invented the chili cookoff competition.

I initially did up some aluminum fuel lines but after some reading online about corrosion I ripped them out and went stainless. Fuel tank is in for good. Just gotta bolt up the filler neck.

Eventually I'll get good at bending this stuff.

They look good! I've heard stainless is really hard to bend so that makes them look even better.

I bought Totally Stainless lines for Dad's truck and had to rebend every single one of them to get them to fit. So I know a teeny bit about bending the stuff. But not flaring, which has to be a bear!

They look good! I've heard stainless is really hard to bend so that makes them look even better.

I bought Totally Stainless lines for Dad's truck and had to rebend every single one of them to get them to fit. So I know a teeny bit about bending the stuff. But not flaring, which has to be a bear!

It is insanely hard to bend that 3/8" tubing without a high-leverage bender. I ended up hose clamping my bender to a pipe that I drove into the dirt outside. I went with compression fittings because flaring stainless seems like it can go horribly wrong and I didn't wanna buy another tool. The compression fittings I use at work can do several thousand psi but they have stainless ferrules and these only have brass, but the tubing here is much thinner walled and the reviews on the parts are all good.

• 3 weeks later...

It is insanely hard to bend that 3/8" tubing without a high-leverage bender. I ended up hose clamping my bender to a pipe that I drove into the dirt outside. I went with compression fittings because flaring stainless seems like it can go horribly wrong and I didn't wanna buy another tool. The compression fittings I use at work can do several thousand psi but they have stainless ferrules and these only have brass, but the tubing here is much thinner walled and the reviews on the parts are all good.

Well I basically got my transmission back together except I had to order a small parts kit because the lock rings for the main shaft bearings only last so many times of being removed and installed. The shifter doesn't feel "springy" anymore in the neutral position so there's that... I didn't use a hydraulic press to assemble the main shaft this time so we shall see if the dead blow hammer and block of wood was good enuff.

Steering column is fully rebuilt. Just need to check all the switch functions

IMG_3889.jpeg.036104ad6fe96edd91dc490dce7f4b6d.jpeg

I don't remember where this part goes...

IMG_3891.jpeg.d383dc9e02cea3a0cca9bcd1da17e14a.jpeg

Gasket for the steering column mount fits good. Still waiting for parts to make the column gasket/damper

IMG_3885.jpeg.7a4e778e5f112b42d2579fdcdfd89afa.jpeg

If there is a decent way to replace the u-joint on the lower steering shaft I think I will be rebuilding it because it's too ugly to put back in like this.

IMG_3892.jpeg.6484cba9b73f42be8b4187710dbc862c.jpeg

Not a fan of this solution for the parking brake, the cable kit came with a piece of plastic tubing around the cable jacket and I had a grommet that fits but it's an oval hole and it's already coming out. The original grommet is very long to help with sealing but unfortunately it was rotted to pieces and there are no replacements.

IMG_3894.jpeg.115c4ec91cf117e946ae98a2681a38f5.jpeg

I cannot for the life of me find a steel hole plug for the front floorboard. All the parts I find are for Mustangs or they just "fit Ford". Might have to make a run to the j-yard.

IMG_3896.jpeg.a13fc93dcb547108076a71cbb1236d88.jpeg

IMG_3897.jpeg.55c7709c8273c3a0dcd5db1c907a7f18.jpeg

Well I basically got my transmission back together except I had to order a small parts kit because the lock rings for the main shaft bearings only last so many times of being removed and installed. The shifter doesn't feel "springy" anymore in the neutral position so there's that... I didn't use a hydraulic press to assemble the main shaft this time so we shall see if the dead blow hammer and block of wood was good enuff.

Steering column is fully rebuilt. Just need to check all the switch functions

I don't remember where this part goes...

Gasket for the steering column mount fits good. Still waiting for parts to make the column gasket/damper

If there is a decent way to replace the u-joint on the lower steering shaft I think I will be rebuilding it because it's too ugly to put back in like this.

Not a fan of this solution for the parking brake, the cable kit came with a piece of plastic tubing around the cable jacket and I had a grommet that fits but it's an oval hole and it's already coming out. The original grommet is very long to help with sealing but unfortunately it was rotted to pieces and there are no replacements.

I cannot for the life of me find a steel hole plug for the front floorboard. All the parts I find are for Mustangs or they just "fit Ford". Might have to make a run to the j-yard.

Okay looks I'm getting a Borgeson steering shaft. Right after my last post I tried taking it apart and just ended up dissecting it with a cutoff wheel to see how it ticks

Okay looks I'm getting a Borgeson steering shaft. Right after my last post I tried taking it apart and just ended up dissecting it with a cutoff wheel to see how it ticks

From what I seen posted thatis the way to go.

Sorry I cant help on the other things.

Dave ----

• 2 weeks later...

From what I seen posted thatis the way to go.

Sorry I cant help on the other things.

Dave ----

Finally finished with the body mounts. It took a lot of modifications so I hope I will like the polyurethane.

Also made some gaskets for the fresh air plenum covers. With vents and without. Not sure what I'm going to end up installing. I can make some more if anyone is interested in having some.

IMG_4047.jpeg.293bcd6ad879ea8b32ba739a05f2ee77.jpeg

IMG_4046.jpeg.7c7f459fd6dd0dd4a75e1eeda3d4aa46.jpeg

IMG_4049.jpeg.23ad8af6a5a0212503ce89b9f94ce18d.jpeg

Finally finished with the body mounts. It took a lot of modifications so I hope I will like the polyurethane.

Also made some gaskets for the fresh air plenum covers. With vents and without. Not sure what I'm going to end up installing. I can make some more if anyone is interested in having some.

Those are nice gaskets! I made mine out of weatherstrip tape, but yours look much better. :nabble_smiley_good:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n141570/IMG_3892.jpeg

I just replied in another thread that id adapted a later ('09-'14) lower shaft.

It does away with the rag joint and the sloppy plastic bushing.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Restore-of-my-1986-Bronco-XLT-tp137348p141979.html

Id be interested to see if anything turns up for the cab bolt cover plates.

Since I had to replace the floor anyway, I ended up making them round and getting some thick plastic bulkhead block-offs.

At least they'll never rust???

Edit to ask: did you change your username to match your YouTube channel?

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n141570/IMG_3892.jpeg

I just replied in another thread that id adapted a later ('09-'14) lower shaft.

It does away with the rag joint and the sloppy plastic bushing.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Restore-of-my-1986-Bronco-XLT-tp137348p141979.html

Id be interested to see if anything turns up for the cab bolt cover plates.

Since I had to replace the floor anyway, I ended up making them round and getting some thick plastic bulkhead block-offs.

At least they'll never rust???

Edit to ask: did you change your username to match your YouTube channel?

Jim/ArdWrknTrk - If you have several pictures of your work to make that shaft, or links to them, I'd love to put together a how-to. I've searched for your post(s) several times but it would be a lot easier to find it it was on the Documentation part of the site.