Bullnose Forums

Jim's 1982 300 Six Bronco Original Restoration

JimJam300

All I saw was a picture of a gas tank??

I trust you know, Cory.

I just didn't have any clues, other than it wasn't an OD T-18! 😉

It was in his video. The fact that the shifter is back close to the seat means that it is either the SMOD or SROD. The later 4spd/OD shifter base is closer to the dash like the T-18, T-19, or NP435. The fact that the shifter says "push" for reverse means it is the SROD (T170FS-RUG-SROD).

SROD.jpg.1299d5a7dd449fac3f09abba6c9872e1.jpg

That's why I said earlier that it is sort of a unique configuration as the 4x4 shifter is to the right of the transmission shifter. I believe Ray Cecil's '82 is the same. I don't know if it's considered rare or not...but I think it's fairly uncommon.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I saw was a picture of a gas tank??

I trust you know, Cory.

I just didn't have any clues, other than it wasn't an OD T-18! 😉

It was in his video. The fact that the shifter is back close to the seat means that it is either the SMOD or SROD. The later 4spd/OD shifter base is closer to the dash like the T-18, T-19, or NP435. The fact that the shifter says "push" for reverse means it is the SROD (T170FS-RUG-SROD).

That's why I said earlier that it is sort of a unique configuration as the 4x4 shifter is to the right of the transmission shifter. I believe Ray Cecil's '82 is the same. I don't know if it's considered rare or not...but I think it's fairly uncommon.

Sounds like a cool project and will be following.

I think some of the things in the phases will be moved like the brake over haul.

If you are there to get brakes on the truck you might as well go thru the whole thing rear to front.

It would be a shame to say replace a leaking brake line get the system filled and the next week have a heel cly. leak.

Heck you are going to pull the rear drums to make sure the shoes are good and cly not leaking so just replace the parts when there.

Up front you may not need or want to replace the calipers and only the pads if the rotors look good.

I would replace ALL rubber brake hoses, 2 at the calipers and 1 at the rear axle.

A master is cheap and being the rear wheel cly., rubber hoses are new you can do a flush of the brake fluid and know the brake system is good to go or should that be stop LOL.

Even if you need or want to replace the metal lines it is not hard to do.

BTW when I got into the brakes on my truck I found long shoes on 1 side and short on the other, only 1 ebrake cable, master was empty on 1 side and front brake pads vary low.

The only thing I did not replace was the metal lines as they did look good.

I know the brake system is 100% now and don't worry about it.

Brakes are not something you want to only do a half azzed job on.

Sorry for going on so long

Dave ----

Sounds like a cool project and will be following.

I think some of the things in the phases will be moved like the brake over haul.

If you are there to get brakes on the truck you might as well go thru the whole thing rear to front.

It would be a shame to say replace a leaking brake line get the system filled and the next week have a heel cly. leak.

Heck you are going to pull the rear drums to make sure the shoes are good and cly not leaking so just replace the parts when there.

Up front you may not need or want to replace the calipers and only the pads if the rotors look good.

I would replace ALL rubber brake hoses, 2 at the calipers and 1 at the rear axle.

A master is cheap and being the rear wheel cly., rubber hoses are new you can do a flush of the brake fluid and know the brake system is good to go or should that be stop LOL.

Even if you need or want to replace the metal lines it is not hard to do.

BTW when I got into the brakes on my truck I found long shoes on 1 side and short on the other, only 1 ebrake cable, master was empty on 1 side and front brake pads vary low.

The only thing I did not replace was the metal lines as they did look good.

I know the brake system is 100% now and don't worry about it.

Brakes are not something you want to only do a half azzed job on.

Sorry for going on so long

Dave ----

Wait!

You had both leading shoes on one side and both trailing shoes on the other?!?!

What kind of idiot did you get that truck from?

OMG, it scares me to think I'm out on the road with vehicles like that!

Wait!

Yep a little proof of 1 side

20160530_090702.jpg.5587bae13b9d53b2e964a587ff572262.jpg

Only good thing was it was not driven on the road, farm truck project, other than to teach son to drive stick and I don't think that was much as the son did not like the truck.

I tried to send a picture of the truck when done but the number is no longer used. I knew they were moving and why they sold it.

That is why when it is new to you you go thru the brakes really good!

Dave ----

Wait!

Yep a little proof of 1 side

Only good thing was it was not driven on the road, farm truck project, other than to teach son to drive stick and I don't think that was much as the son did not like the truck.

I tried to send a picture of the truck when done but the number is no longer used. I knew they were moving and why they sold it.

That is why when it is new to you you go thru the brakes really good!

Dave ----

I imagine having one wheel lock up and not release isn't too dangerous -in a pasture-

But why don't people who have no idea leave one side together and work on the other, so they can compare?

Probably grabbed two shoes off the top and slapped them in, then used the others on the bottom on the other side.

• 6 months later...

I imagine having one wheel lock up and not release isn't too dangerous -in a pasture-

But why don't people who have no idea leave one side together and work on the other, so they can compare?

Probably grabbed two shoes off the top and slapped them in, then used the others on the bottom on the other side.

So I have done quite a bit since August, and I have not held up on my promise to make more videos or document things, and will probably continue to not do these things because I no longer have a computer and everything is much slower on a phone.

However, I will share the progress I have made so far.

AD9FE382-7010-4C48-9303-6DA1022FA3BF.thumb.jpeg.d10bf97a390784c18e55fa8624865ea0.jpeg

Last year in Sept I did all the brakes so I could prepare to move into another house. I had to pull steel brake lines from the junkyard because the flare nuts froze on mine. All in all, I replaced the following with new parts:

- calipers

- pads/shoes

- drums

- all hardware

Because the truck was dieseling on shut down and wouldn’t reliably start or run, I investigated the ignition and the solution was just a new set of spark plugs... At this time, I also started a fire in the engine bay because of oil-soaked animal nests built up on my exhaust manifold. I sprayed them down and replaced my valve cover gasket.

After I got the truck on a trailer in October and moved it, I didn’t touch it until January. In December I bought a motorcycle so that took up all my attention.

In January I started doing wheel bearings which evolved into a full front-end rebuild after my front diff started leaking when jacking up the front frame. I dropped the whole TTB suspension and disassembled it.

9AB0B4BE-C601-4995-8049-51AC12E40645.jpeg.60ccd0a5a8e19160f358422755189cfd.jpeg

Then I brushed radius arms/support arms with POR-15 gloss. I did the same on the frame section above the suspension.

C8F683D1-366F-4C16-9CEB-7BF8A064765F.jpeg.ea6b2923d7eb810c5dea1eda7c1b5412.jpeg

Goodyear Wrangler Adventure 31/10.5/15 tires were mounted on 15x8” Pro Comp wagon wheels.

6BB9D1FD-E628-435E-B209-AA0B059A6FFA.thumb.jpeg.60a23ed2b27e175029e9959ee3390c58.jpeg

Parts installed in front suspension rebuild:

- all new grade 8 hardware

- Bilstein 4600 shocks

- stock height springs

- inner/outer wheel and spindle bearings

- ball joints

- tie rods and assembly

- Spicer u joints

- Spicer slip shaft and slip yoke (could not separate original ones)

- brake rotors and hubs

- Warn Premium locking hubs

- Energy Suspension polyurethane radius arm and pivot bushings

- bump stops

2EA5BEE2-A4DC-4BB3-BB87-6724FDAF0A17.thumb.jpeg.a3e85b5774f10aa694b2df426ebba7a9.jpeg

I took it out for a spin up and down the street, and by god do those Bilstein shocks up front feel good. This will end up being quite the comfortable rig for long road trips.

This arm of the project has made me take a wildly different path than I first planned. My next move is a rear end rebuilt. After that it’s the transmission. Then at the same time I will rebuild the engine while the truck is in the body shop.

So I have done quite a bit since August, and I have not held up on my promise to make more videos or document things, and will probably continue to not do these things because I no longer have a computer and everything is much slower on a phone.

Last year in Sept I did all the brakes so I could prepare to move into another house. I had to pull steel brake lines from the junkyard because the flare nuts froze on mine. All in all, I replaced the following with new parts:

- calipers

- pads/shoes

- drums

- all hardware

Because the truck was dieseling on shut down and wouldn’t reliably start or run, I investigated the ignition and the solution was just a new set of spark plugs... At this time, I also started a fire in the engine bay because of oil-soaked animal nests built up on my exhaust manifold. I sprayed them down and replaced my valve cover gasket.

After I got the truck on a trailer in October and moved it, I didn’t touch it until January. In December I bought a motorcycle so that took up all my attention.

In January I started doing wheel bearings which evolved into a full front-end rebuild after my front diff started leaking when jacking up the front frame. I dropped the whole TTB suspension and disassembled it.

Then I brushed radius arms/support arms with POR-15 gloss. I did the same on the frame section above the suspension.

Goodyear Wrangler Adventure 31/10.5/15 tires were mounted on 15x8” Pro Comp wagon wheels.

- Bilstein 4600 shocks

- stock height springs

- ball joints

- tie rods and assembly

- Spicer u joints

- brake rotors and hubs

- bump stops

I took it out for a spin up and down the street, and by god do those Bilstein shocks up front feel good. This will end up being quite the comfortable rig for long road trips.

This arm of the project has made me take a wildly different path than I first planned. My next move is a rear end rebuilt. After that it’s the transmission. Then at the same time I will rebuild the engine while the truck is in the body shop.

Nice! Great job!

Those white wagon wheels look good on your Bronco!

- calipers

- pads/shoes

- drums

- all hardware

- Bilstein 4600 shocks

- stock height springs

- ball joints

- tie rods and assembly

- Spicer u joints

- brake rotors and hubs

- bump stops

Wow! That is a LOT of work. Well done! The TTBs and wheels look good. You are really going to enjoy it. :nabble_anim_claps:

Wow! That is a LOT of work. Well done! The TTBs and wheels look good. You are really going to enjoy it. :nabble_anim_claps:

That is bloody brilliant!

As and when I have an indoor space I am doing that kind of front end rebuild - and the rear too. I will have to buy a lot of PRO15 gloss.

I just love the look of that. Top work.