Bullnose Forums

Jim's 1982 300 Six Bronco Original Restoration

JimJam300

Good job! That tranny looks nice!

Edit: oh, and I like your future brides recommendation on the rear axle!

She has impeccable taste. Her dream car is a BMW 2002tii (which I will probably buy for her eventually) and she can't wait until the Bronco is finished. When we were first dating I brought her to the Rolex Motorsport Reunion at Laguna Seca and she had a blast. That's when I knew she was a keeper.

That’s great! Nice BMW. My son has a 540i. He’s going to sell it.

Rodents did more damage than I though possible

65EDE40E-62C0-46DB-8856-A063278669A8.jpeg.8486c349e4a7ae642a416a445c471072.jpeg

EB0A1757-4857-4E4D-858C-1FFDB5C989AE.jpeg.fc6cffa1720aeb5509a8cb1eb79ddc2d.jpeg

Oh well, interior and a working HVAC system are way on down the road. Just emptying the firewall for cleaning.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Looks like they tried to eat it instead of exercise on it. :nabble_smiley_oh:

this is exactly how fires get started. figuratively and literally. many times, the blower fan resister bank, the red panel in the picture, gets buried in leaves and rodent debris and gets ignited.

this is exactly how fires get started. figuratively and literally. many times, the blower fan resister bank, the red panel in the picture, gets buried in leaves and rodent debris and gets ignited.

I have half a mind to lay down some stainless mesh in there. I haven't even vacuumed out the fresh air intake yet, there's still tons of debris that didn't come out with the initial dirt avalanche.

Anyway, in order to put the heat shields back in, and simply to get it out of the way, I need to paint the engine side of the firewall. I am still at a basic level when it comes to paint so I can use some pointers...

The plan is to paint it spruce just like the body and I wanted to go with aerosols. For the primer I am looking at Eastwood 2-component epoxy primer and it looks like I will need two cans. Not sure what to do for top coat or if a clear coat is needed.

I have half a mind to lay down some stainless mesh in there. I haven't even vacuumed out the fresh air intake yet, there's still tons of debris that didn't come out with the initial dirt avalanche.

Anyway, in order to put the heat shields back in, and simply to get it out of the way, I need to paint the engine side of the firewall. I am still at a basic level when it comes to paint so I can use some pointers...

The plan is to paint it spruce just like the body and I wanted to go with aerosols. For the primer I am looking at Eastwood 2-component epoxy primer and it looks like I will need two cans. Not sure what to do for top coat or if a clear coat is needed.

I have used Eastwoods two part epoxy many times and usually have some on the shelf. I only buy the gallons though. no experience with their aerosols. but if it works as well then I expect you will be happy. the best pointer I can give is clean it well. as with any paint project. what ever you leave you will keep. a firewall is troublesome simply because it is not flat, and it has more places for dirt and grease to get into. pressure washer is very handy and often where I start. I have also been known to trailer something to the local carwash. right before painting do a white rag test and then wipe it clean with a prep solvent and wait the appropriate flash/dry time.

I have also been known to trailer something to the local carwash. right before painting do a white rag test and then wipe it clean with a prep solvent and wait the appropriate flash/dry time.

I feel really dumb after reading that because I have set up my garage twice to pressure wash the truck (though one advantage is disconnecting the washing machine to use the hot water tap). I laid out duct tape on the floor with a folded ridge to divert water and plastic sheeting everywhere to protect things from water spray. I didn't put two and two together to just put it on a U-Haul trailer...

I have also been known to trailer something to the local carwash. right before painting do a white rag test and then wipe it clean with a prep solvent and wait the appropriate flash/dry time.

I feel really dumb after reading that because I have set up my garage twice to pressure wash the truck (though one advantage is disconnecting the washing machine to use the hot water tap). I laid out duct tape on the floor with a folded ridge to divert water and plastic sheeting everywhere to protect things from water spray. I didn't put two and two together to just put it on a U-Haul trailer...

That's why we have a forum - so we can learn from each other. :nabble_smiley_wink:

That's why we have a forum - so we can learn from each other. :nabble_smiley_wink:

at my last house I had an area behind the house/shop where it was a little lower than the rest of the property. I would put things on the trailer and pull it back there with a truck and set up the pressure washer and get to cleaning. then I could pull back around to the garage to work or put things away clean. I'm still trying to figure out this new home. NOT doing much dirty work in the new garage and that feels counterproductive. yet we do not have easy access to enough water for pressure washing at the shop. rented space! but that's where I can do cutting, welding and grinding. I do prefer to keep certain tasks separated as much as I can. still figuring out where to paint. it may be a little while.

at my last house I had an area behind the house/shop where it was a little lower than the rest of the property. I would put things on the trailer and pull it back there with a truck and set up the pressure washer and get to cleaning. then I could pull back around to the garage to work or put things away clean. I'm still trying to figure out this new home. NOT doing much dirty work in the new garage and that feels counterproductive. yet we do not have easy access to enough water for pressure washing at the shop. rented space! but that's where I can do cutting, welding and grinding. I do prefer to keep certain tasks separated as much as I can. still figuring out where to paint. it may be a little while.

I have the firewall bare on both sides. The factory firewall insulation pad has material missing from the rodents and the rest of it is really dirty. Does anyone know of a good material that I can fully replace it with? This information is really hard to find on the web believe it or not.

I did come across this:

https://www.thermotec.com/product/cool-it-mat-thermo-tec

Though I feel like it's just a mega expensive version of something I can find at Home Depot.

I have the firewall bare on both sides. The factory firewall insulation pad has material missing from the rodents and the rest of it is really dirty. Does anyone know of a good material that I can fully replace it with? This information is really hard to find on the web believe it or not.

I did come across this:

https://www.thermotec.com/product/cool-it-mat-thermo-tec

Though I feel like it's just a mega expensive version of something I can find at Home Depot.

I found something for $38.99...

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Aluminized-Heat-and-Noise-Insulation-Shield-Double-Sided,32193.html?

Aluminum on both sides, fabric in the center. 46"x75" so it will do the whole firewall. I have some Kilmat sound deadener lying around so I'm going to lay down first. It's butyl rubber so it should stand up to the heat. This is approximately an arm and a leg less money than anything else I've found.