Bullnose Forums

Four seasons ac liquid line help

- deleted -

Great info Steve. Ran into the same confusion with the valve when changing out mine. Glad to know leaving it out was the right choice :nabble_smiley_good:

When I had my line ordered in there were two options - one for systems with a manual shutoff at the compressor and one without. Mine has the shut off but we went ahead and ordered both in. If I recall correctly there was a difference in thread sizes.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great info Steve. Ran into the same confusion with the valve when changing out mine. Glad to know leaving it out was the right choice :nabble_smiley_good:

When I had my line ordered in there were two options - one for systems with a manual shutoff at the compressor and one without. Mine has the shut off but we went ahead and ordered both in. If I recall correctly there was a difference in thread sizes.

The check valve was to allow the system to be partially opened, same reason for the service valves on the FS-6 compressors and the preceding York/Tecumseh twins. It was indeed a holdover from the days when R12 was dirt cheap and there wasn't a big worry about just dumping some into the air. Interestingly enough, I don't remember my 1963 Jetfire having service valves and I know my 1978 Oldsmobile and 1980 Pontiac didn't have them.

The check valve was to allow the system to be partially opened, same reason for the service valves on the FS-6 compressors and the preceding York/Tecumseh twins. It was indeed a holdover from the days when R12 was dirt cheap and there wasn't a big worry about just dumping some into the air. Interestingly enough, I don't remember my 1963 Jetfire having service valves and I know my 1978 Oldsmobile and 1980 Pontiac didn't have them.

My 81 was factory AC York compressor.

My system did not have a check valve on it and I can tell you the 81 & 84 hose I ordered were different.

IIRC the hose fit the condenser, where it looks this check is, but not the other end.

I don't think the York had service valves but the JY compressor did and I think I ordered hoses for that system.

Dave ----

I've been up all night doing research. i found yet another catalog mistake. when i went to autozone yesterday, as luck would have it, there was a guy from a different store. I brought the hose in and show him what the problem is and we looked it up and surely it gives the same hose. This guy was alot like I was when i was in parts. He looked it up for a different truck and sure enough, the hose came up that looks like ours and he ordered it, hopefully it will be in today. Anyway, i was looking at the slip he gave me, and he look it up for an 88 4.9 with a carburetor. i look it up on autozone website, and of course it does not give me info on a carb'd 4.9, only efi. my parts truck is an 88 with a 4.9 eft and the liquid line and evap are different. anyway. i start looking, and i look up an 83, and there the hose is, the number the guy found, and it states for NON orifice tube systems and no manual shut off valve at compressor. Thats wrong. I check to make sure the condenser is the same and it is. So this should be the right hose

Bill, my 73 Buick does not have one ether. Only Ford and Chrysler products used them. Even Chrysler quit using them in the 70's

Bill, my 73 Buick does not have one ether. Only Ford and Chrysler products used them. Even Chrysler quit using them in the 70's

yea ford went to the orifice tube in the 80's and the dealer ac was the expansion valve system, but either way. I hope Rock auto gives me my money back, although i may have trouble as i've had the system for 3 months. I will call 4 seasons and get them to fix this.

I'm not in parts anymore, but when i was, i found so many catalog errors

So far i found 2

1 on the exhaust manifold flange studs, and now on the liquid line .

Have to wonder if Gary should start an error thread

yea ford went to the orifice tube in the 80's and the dealer ac was the expansion valve system, but either way. I hope Rock auto gives me my money back, although i may have trouble as i've had the system for 3 months. I will call 4 seasons and get them to fix this.

So far i found 2

Don't know where to record errors. Errors in the EVTM's I've handled by correcting the page and placing it back on the site. But errors in catalogs are another story. If I have that page posted I could correct it and put it on.

So far i found 2

George, I didn't realize you had a life behind the counter.

Explains a lot!

Bill's son Matt once asked me where I worked, when he was with LKQ.

But im just an autistic geek with a mind for numbers.

I think if we tried to document every error, we would have the Manhattan telephone directory (there I go showing my age again!)

George, I didn't realize you had a life behind the counter.

Explains a lot!

Bill's son Matt once asked me where I worked, when he was with LKQ.

But im just an autistic geek with a mind for numbers.

I think if we tried to document every error, we would have the Manhattan telephone directory (there I go showing my age again!)

Oh yes Jim, i spent many a year behind that parts counter and my boss and I did not get along at all. he hated me with a passion and the only reason he kept me around was because of things like this. But eventually i was able to live the dream and call him on the phone and quote the song " Take this job and shove it" i used extra language after that.

Oh yes Jim, i spent many a year behind that parts counter and my boss and I did not get along at all. he hated me with a passion and the only reason he kept me around was because of things like this. But eventually i was able to live the dream and call him on the phone and quote the song " Take this job and shove it" i used extra language after that.

Gotta love Dolly!

She's really got no reason to hold back.