Bullnose Forums

Why I like the Bullnose Forum.

I do have to say, i really like you guys. Nick was the one who stumbled upon the Bullnose forum and kept telling me to join and i'm really glad i did.

When i was about ready give up on forums. I had posted a question to another Ford truck forum, really dont remember which one it was, but this was my question. This was back when the parts truck was still running, the 88

" I have an 88 F150 with a 300 I6 and a 5 speed transmission. The transmission is shot. I have in my possession a C4 transmission that is bolted to a 351M and I also have a FMX transmission bolted to a 302. Will any of these transmissions bolt up to my 300?"

All the responses were

I'd put an AOD

another told me to buy an aftermarket

another told me buy a c6

many other people said put an AOD

that wasn't the question. and i never really found out the answer

I'm sure I can speak for others - we are glad you joined! (I think that "you" is plural, as in both you and Nick, but I'm never quite sure which of you is posting.)

Yes, it is very frustrating when you post just a seemingly simple question and no one answers it. And while I've been guilty of doing just that, usually someone else here will point out the error of my ways and answer the specific question.

And, speaking of that question, there are several different bolt patterns used on Ford engines, and here are the ones used in the Bullnose era:

• Small Block: (My term) This includes the Windsor engines, such as the 289, 302, & 351W as well as the 300 six and also the 351C.

• Big Block: (My term) This includes the M-Block engines, meaning the 351M and 400, as well as the 460. But there's a twist - while the bolt pattern is the same the flywheel for manual transmissions is in a different spot so you can't directly swap a manual tranny from a 460 to a 351M or 400 unless you use the right bell housing

• Diesel: Both the 6.9L and the 7.3L share the same bolt pattern.

So to answer the question, the FMX should work.

If it is the forum I think it is it could be the people that hang out in the 87 - 90 area just don't know?

If you go thru the older truck areas you will find more & more know what works and what does not.

I think a lot has to do with what parts they can get, have you tried to get parts for that FMX trans? and no computer to control anything.

The 88 would of had EFI / computer. Also if the transmissions you wanted to use used a kick down rod / cable how do you hook that up to the EFI setup? I know on the 80 - 86 300's that had a C6 use all kinds of linkage & pivots from the carb to the trans that is a night mare.

Now I am sure that 88 came with a AOD so parts would have been a little easier to come by and have over drive like that 5sp did and why I think they posted that, not that that helped you.

Also if doing a trans swap why go backwards, no over drive, any why you may not of had a good answer.

Just my .02

Dave ----

If it is the forum I think it is it could be the people that hang out in the 87 - 90 area just don't know?

If you go thru the older truck areas you will find more & more know what works and what does not.

I think a lot has to do with what parts they can get, have you tried to get parts for that FMX trans? and no computer to control anything.

The 88 would of had EFI / computer. Also if the transmissions you wanted to use used a kick down rod / cable how do you hook that up to the EFI setup? I know on the 80 - 86 300's that had a C6 use all kinds of linkage & pivots from the carb to the trans that is a night mare.

Now I am sure that 88 came with a AOD so parts would have been a little easier to come by and have over drive like that 5sp did and why I think they posted that, not that that helped you.

Also if doing a trans swap why go backwards, no over drive, any why you may not of had a good answer.

Just my .02

Dave ----

it's always me, George that is doing the posting. i kind of thought the FMX would have worked, but the kickdown was something i was wondering too, but thats ancient history I just got to thining about it this morning when reading through the forum. I still do look around at other forums, and to tell you the truth, have never found anything of any use, just a bunch of smartalec answers. I am also an audiophile and have had the same issues with audio forums. I am an a recording studio and audio engineer, or was, i got out of the game. when music started to get really really bad, but nonetheless, some of the responses i would get would just baffle my mind. I've only been on here a short time and this is really kind of cool, its like a little truck family and for that , Thanks Gary

it's always me, George that is doing the posting. i kind of thought the FMX would have worked, but the kickdown was something i was wondering too, but thats ancient history I just got to thining about it this morning when reading through the forum. I still do look around at other forums, and to tell you the truth, have never found anything of any use, just a bunch of smartalec answers. I am also an audiophile and have had the same issues with audio forums. I am an a recording studio and audio engineer, or was, i got out of the game. when music started to get really really bad, but nonetheless, some of the responses i would get would just baffle my mind. I've only been on here a short time and this is really kind of cool, its like a little truck family and for that , Thanks Gary

Ok, I'll put you down as the polite one since you put Nick's name first in the signature. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And, you are right - it is a "little truck family". Several of us have met via the shows or get-togethers (GTG's), and many more were hoping to do so this year. But, we didn't plan on a pandemic. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But, we help each other, swap parts, and even pray for each other at times. So "family" is an apt description.

Well... I'm sorry to have started my cab upgrades with "I don't want to hijack Nicks thread' :nabble_smiley_oh:

There's definitely a sense of community here that you won't find elsewhere.

But we are also a small group.

There are people who are really helpful on FTE. Paul (Conanski) and Mark Kovalsky definitely, another Bill was a wiz at electrical diagnosis.

Numberdummy was always an asset, and he apparently gave up in frustration.

We have a Ford dealer guy here, Myrl, and i imagine he would "pull out the books" if asked for something Gary doesn't already have documented.

That's one thing you may notice about this place. People express their gratitude if you reach out to help them.

So, thank YOU George, for your feedback! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Well... I'm sorry to have started my cab upgrades with "I don't want to hijack Nicks thread' :nabble_smiley_oh:

There are people who are really helpful on FTE. Paul (Conanski) and Mark Kovalsky definitely, another Bill was a wiz at electrical diagnosis.

We have a Ford dealer guy here, Myrl, and i imagine he would "pull out the books" if asked for something Gary doesn't already have documented.

That's one thing you may notice about this place. People express their gratitude if you reach out to help them.

I agree. Im not on this forum much but it has a distinctly different feeling from the other automotive forums I visit.

thats the problem I run into on way too many forums.

I remember years ago I got kicked from a forum because as they put it I just wanted attention and didnt want help while I was asking for help.

I dont remember the exact of the forum post as it was years ago but it was about a wiring problem on my '63 that I couldnt figure out.

I started my post off with the problem I am having and then listed in order every thing I checked and tried and it was no dice. I then finished my post with is there any recommendations of what I should try next as I am at a loss.

Every reply I got on that ChevyTalk forums was to do what I already listed that I have tried. I replied to them in kind, thanks for the reply but that isnt it I already tried that. After about 6 posts like this I was accused of being there for attention and not wanting help when I went off on them saying that if they had actually read my initial post they would see that every suggestion I was offered was what I listed days ago as I had already tried. I do want help but I am growing tired of getting help that is unhelpful from people that obviously never even read my post entirely.

From there I moved to 348/409 forum as they covered Chevrolets of my vintage as well, low and behold many of those same people from the previous forum were there and pushed to get me banned from there as well for no reason. They also did the same thing to my posts there with trying to elicit a response from me. Needless to say the owner finally did ban me because just me posting was causing such an uproar from other members that he had to do something and banning me who didnt even break a rule was the easiest for him.

Thats why as of today all the forums I have been on, ChevyTalk, 348-409, the hamb, ol skool rodz, FTE, here, and a few others. I am only on a few today, FTE here and a couple others but all the others I have mentioned, I have all been banned from for trivial reasons that didnt even go against the rules.

To be honest I was in your place when I found FTE, I was about ready to just say forget it and walk away from forums cause its always been a lackluster form of help for me when I hit a brick wall and the replies you get was just rehashing what you already stated youve tried or a complete lack of reading the post you made.

I do get some of that on here and on FTE but it is not bad, its more of a suggestion not an out right hey you need to do this or that. I dont mind suggestions at all, it is how I get some ideas in some cases such as repurposing a mono dash speaker for my truck with a resistor to raise the ohm rating of the speaker up to the level for a CB external speaker and now my truck has a CB external speaker thats louder than the floor facing built in speaker and its hidden out of view in the dash speaker location. If it wasnt for suggestions of an external speaker I would have never thought of repurposing a NOS dash speaker like this.

Jim, dont worry about hijacking our threads if you need to refer to anything we say, go for it,its not like you are steeling anything or like that, remember i put this up on the forum for eveybody and if i didnt want it out, well, i just wuld have not said anythng. we are here to help each other and if my info helps you and you are able to take my info to help somebody else and so on, then the whole purpose of this forum has been fulfilled