Bullnose Forums

Instrument Panel and Misc

Now that I have much of the mechanicals addressed, I need to fix the HVAC system and some electricals. The HVAC will include the dreaded blend door.

Anyway, took the dash off yesterday, removed the HVAC control unit and stereo. Pulled the instrument cluster facia panel and now need to pull the instrument cluster. I've done this before but I must have been smarter then, as I'm having a heck of a time removing both the speedometer cable and the electrical plug behind it. Doesn't the plug just pull out? I don't need to depress anything do I? What's the trick to the speedometer cable?

While I have all this apart, I'm going to address the very poor lighting behind the dash by replacing the OEM style bulbs with LEDs. Read an older post on here from 2017 titled, "dash/instrument illumination". The post had a couple of Amazon links with suggested LED replacement bulbs. Suggested bulbs linked below. Am I correct that these will work with the dimmable circuit but will not dim? Anything else I need to know?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YWXSL7A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

Thanks!

The instrument connector has tabs on each end and you need to squeeze them towards each other to get the connector out. I can get pics after a bit if you need them.

Similarly the speedo cable has to be released. Don't remember exactly how, but can include a pic of it.

On the LED's, you might want to read my thread on Instrument Lighting & Paint Testing. And don't miss the very last post. I'm very impressed with the HiPo LEDs and highly recommend them.

The instrument connector has tabs on each end and you need to squeeze them towards each other to get the connector out. I can get pics after a bit if you need them.

Similarly the speedo cable has to be released. Don't remember exactly how, but can include a pic of it.

On the LED's, you might want to read my thread on Instrument Lighting & Paint Testing. And don't miss the very last post. I'm very impressed with the HiPo LEDs and highly recommend them.

I can also tell you if you are going to paint the needles to get the HiPo? paint.

I used Testers orange and they look great in day light but with my green LED's I cant see them, they turn dark / black, but I can see everything else just fine.

Just a heads up.

I went with LED's I found off Ebay, cant remember if they dim or not but on high they are not over bright for me.

I also used LED's for the warning lights across the top.

I like the bright turn lights. The high beam light at first was too bright, most of my night driving is real early so I can run high beams most of the time, but it is ok now.

Seat belt light is only on a short time and not a big deal.

I used the stock bulbs in the lights / wiper switch, HVAC panel / ash tray & radio (that has stopped working) because finding LED's to fit them can be hard with the sockets & covers they use.

20191103_171446.jpg.4cfd069cd92a5a9c3255ad1e599d366e.jpg

20190126_175851.jpg.913a59dd32ebc8a9eb71d8fa8ef3bbaf.jpg

Dave ----

I can also tell you if you are going to paint the needles to get the HiPo? paint.

I used Testers orange and they look great in day light but with my green LED's I cant see them, they turn dark / black, but I can see everything else just fine.

Just a heads up.

I went with LED's I found off Ebay, cant remember if they dim or not but on high they are not over bright for me.

I like the bright turn lights. The high beam light at first was too bright, most of my night driving is real early so I can run high beams most of the time, but it is ok now.

I used the stock bulbs in the lights / wiper switch, HVAC panel / ash tray & radio (that has stopped working) because finding LED's to fit them can be hard with the sockets & covers they use.

Dave ----

Thank you fellas! Last night when I was working on it I really couldn't see. Either too much light blinding me, or not enough. After submitting this thread this morning, went out there and quickly removed instrument cluster electrical. After seeing that the electrical had tabs, it was a piece of cake. The dang speedo cable was a different story and I broke the plastic clip. Wondering now if that clip can be purchased separately vs. buying a whole new cable.....argh. Gary, if you have a picture illustrating the speedometer cable connection, I'd appreciate it? I remember last time I took it off that I hoped I would have to mess with it again.

Great info on the LED's and painting the needles, Dave. Thank you!!!

Pulled the instrument cluster also hoping that I can use mine and merely add a tach. Time to do some more homework.

Just a heads up.

Dave ----

Yep you really need the right paint for the needles to glow. I think mine was HiPo but not sure, I bought mine off ebay I believe it was and I got the Red as it is correct for Ford

20160415_201304.jpg.04649e1493404108f25da9fa399841c0.jpg

I also did the LED conversion on my truck as well for all including the radio. I also used the same paint on the radio needle as well. I only wished the paint would brush on better than it does cause I really would have liked to have done the white as well.

Thank you fellas! Last night when I was working on it I really couldn't see. Either too much light blinding me, or not enough. After submitting this thread this morning, went out there and quickly removed instrument cluster electrical. After seeing that the electrical had tabs, it was a piece of cake. The dang speedo cable was a different story and I broke the plastic clip. Wondering now if that clip can be purchased separately vs. buying a whole new cable.....argh. Gary, if you have a picture illustrating the speedometer cable connection, I'd appreciate it? I remember last time I took it off that I hoped I would have to mess with it again.

Pulled the instrument cluster also hoping that I can use mine and merely add a tach. Time to do some more homework.

The provisions are there for a tach but I would hit up ebay, I bought a whole cluster for my truck with tach and it was something like $80 for the whole thing. Came out cheaper than me sourcing just the tach and then swapping the circuit board on the back to a tach version.

The provisions are there for a tach but I would hit up ebay, I bought a whole cluster for my truck with tach and it was something like $80 for the whole thing. Came out cheaper than me sourcing just the tach and then swapping the circuit board on the back to a tach version.

Agree Rusty, however I'm looking into both options. There was a post on here where I was asking questions about adding a tachometer to my existing instrument cluster and for the life of me, I cannot find it. In order to do that, I have to have a certain circuit board and I want to confirm that I have that circuit board.

Here's a pic of the speedo cable latch. And while it may be possible to remove it w/o breaking it, mine didn't want to come off.

Speedo_Cable_Catch_To_Speedo.thumb.jpg.2101ed0bde814dc56e2f3ac2cde46431.jpg

And, here's how to remove it. Note that my finger is on the tab and my thumb on the speedo's input. That's because the latch has to move down a bit to release, so if you put your thumb on the bottom of the latch all you are doing is deforming the latch - and it may break.

How_To_Remove_Speedo_Cable_From_Speedo.thumb.jpg.b8dafb48e7f7e67ecb930541a1d299ca.jpg

As for a tach, there are two printed circuits on the gauges - without tach on the left and with tach on the right:

Gauge_Printed_Circuit_without_Tach.thumb.jpg.8183a7aa8d639bec04ab50c1207be910.jpgGauge_Printed_Circuit_with_Tach.thumb.jpg.ed47b123d186d9d83aca645cb315bec1.jpg

Agree Rusty, however I'm looking into both options. There was a post on here where I was asking questions about adding a tachometer to my existing instrument cluster and for the life of me, I cannot find it. In order to do that, I have to have a certain circuit board and I want to confirm that I have that circuit board.

For the circuit board you will need one of the following.

1980 : E0TZ-10K843-B. This should be marked E0TF-10C956-BB and it is used on clusters w/Tach, ammeter and oil pressure gauges.

1981/86 : E1TZ-10K843-B. This should be marked E1TF-10C956-BA and it is used on clusters w/Tach, ammeter and oil pressure gauges.

Another vote for the tiny bottle of Hi-Po paint! :nabble_smiley_good:

One thing to note. If you do have a battery charge indicator light you need to keep a champ conventional bulb in there.

The LED will not pass enough current to get your alternator charging.