Bullnose Forums

New/Repro YF carburetor for the 300 six

Yes, I think it could. So when you pull it down check that out closely.

Gary, you’re GOOD!!! And I am both happy and embarrassed at the same time. The accelerator pump isn’t as easy to get out as the one shown in the video, but once I got to it there were obvious cracks in the rubber. I destroyed it with carb cleaner trying to clear a port that didn’t exist... 😖.

I took the accelerator pump out of the rebuild kit that I bought to refurbish my OEM unit and it fit the ECCPP reproduction. I reassembled it and put it back in the truck. The truck starts on the first spin and holds a smooth 650 rpm idle. I’m not quite sure how to level with the seller at this point, but the new pump fixed the carburetor which is very good news for me!

9BC48BD4-C7F0-4862-A5FA-D3304D46A286.jpeg.91917aaeb3b13751a84f3a1b344746ca.jpeg

1C9FA176-BA46-4B2F-9114-B769C53D3F03.jpeg.94fcd6e7a9ea4138f124f6a817d9e44a.jpeg

B1529C31-3E0A-4D9B-8AA9-51E502A670F3.jpeg.088312a2592660fee01c3636e5ae02fc.jpeg

Gary, you’re GOOD!!! And I am both happy and embarrassed at the same time. The accelerator pump isn’t as easy to get out as the one shown in the video, but once I got to it there were obvious cracks in the rubber. I destroyed it with carb cleaner trying to clear a port that didn’t exist... 😖.

I took the accelerator pump out of the rebuild kit that I bought to refurbish my OEM unit and it fit the ECCPP reproduction. I reassembled it and put it back in the truck. The truck starts on the first spin and holds a smooth 650 rpm idle. I’m not quite sure how to level with the seller at this point, but the new pump fixed the carburetor which is very good news for me!

Wow.

That's quite surprising Jonathan.

I wouldn't have thought carb cleaner would eat that diaphragm. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Maybe it was air pressure?

But I'm glad you found the cause.... and a solution! :nabble_smiley_good:

If it were me, I'd probably eat humble pie and decline the refund when it popped up in my PayPal.

Gary, you’re GOOD!!! And I am both happy and embarrassed at the same time.

This is excellent news! I want to try one of these carbs soon. I just picked up a set of 300 engine mounts yesterday so I can install the engine in the frame.

Question Jon:

Are you running rubber fuel line all the way from the pump to the carb with an inline filter? I was wanting to make a new hard line but I don't know what the flares and fittings are. I guess it would be a whole lot easier to just run rubber hose.

B1529C31-3E0A-4D9B-8AA9-51E502A670F3.jpeg.c1a277957264a765303596f91cb9a791.jpeg

I'm glad you found it, that the stock parts fit, and the engine is running well. :nabble_anim_claps:

And I'm with Jim - tell them you found the problem and decline the refund.

I'm glad we are back to probably having a good, cheap source for carbs. :nabble_smiley_good:

Gary, you’re GOOD!!! And I am both happy and embarrassed at the same time.

This is excellent news! I want to try one of these carbs soon. I just picked up a set of 300 engine mounts yesterday so I can install the engine in the frame.

Question Jon:

Are you running rubber fuel line all the way from the pump to the carb with an inline filter? I was wanting to make a new hard line but I don't know what the flares and fittings are. I guess it would be a whole lot easier to just run rubber hose.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n73537/B1529C31-3E0A-4D9B-8AA9-51E502A670F3.jpeg

Cory, my 81 had hard line from pump to carb with a screw in filter from the factory.

Someone at one point cut the hard line and added the extra filter.

I don't have a good picture of the motor now but I only have the screw in filter and use rubber hose where the add on filter was.

20151220_131346.jpg.0a955a62138c980b63862012da55289f.jpg

Dave ----

I'm glad you found it, that the stock parts fit, and the engine is running well. :nabble_anim_claps:

And I'm with Jim - tell them you found the problem and decline the refund.

I'm glad we are back to probably having a good, cheap source for carbs. :nabble_smiley_good:

Gentlemen, I didn’t doubt whether to proceed paying for this carburetor, but rather how to do it. I received a message that my bank card has been credited. If I can’t find a way to un-do this, I will message the seller about how to correct the mistake.

Cory, I really think a piece of hard line is needed. My original was leaky and I couldn’t get it tight, so I bought a piece of straight flare fitted fuel line at Autozone. I bent it myself and almost kinked it because I couldn’t find my tube bender. It isn’t the prettiest, but it works. It would have been much better if I had my bender. I threaded a hose barb at the far end, and used a piece of soft line and inline filter just in front of the carb.

EBF9A004-8E49-4A90-B958-07322F686BCA.jpeg.07c7c771d26ff232ba428876ce2eb910.jpeg

F52C7B14-0FF3-41C7-B6E5-04F5534A4194.jpeg.3a99f39cad5995fdb69b74d8d8a5f462.jpeg

075FF138-D992-4DF4-BFAC-8D11E7619161.jpeg.3430287e9474e49bea409b8e113c7a90.jpeg

Gentlemen, I didn’t doubt whether to proceed paying for this carburetor, but rather how to do it. I received a message that my bank card has been credited. If I can’t find a way to un-do this, I will message the seller about how to correct the mistake.

Cory, I really think a piece of hard line is needed. My original was leaky and I couldn’t get it tight, so I bought a piece of straight flare fitted fuel line at Autozone. I bent it myself and almost kinked it because I couldn’t find my tube bender. It isn’t the prettiest, but it works. It would have been much better if I had my bender. I threaded a hose barb at the far end, and used a piece of soft line and inline filter just in front of the carb.

Good job Jonathan!

Working with what you've got.

This makes me think how easy it may be to solder or braze to this nickel/copper brake line I have.

(Not that tiny 3/16 is enough for fuel, but that you can buy it by the foot and I see it listed to at least 1/2OD)

It's easy to form without collapsing, and eliminating threaded or compression joints is always a plus.

Today I got squared up with the seller regarding the inappropriate refund... and the carburetor continues to run very well. Actually better than it did at first.

I am guessing that months of driving around with a failing carb may have carboned things up, which is getting cleared out, or the carb itself is smoothing after some use. The high rpm range seems like it might be slightly weak, but overall I’ve never had this truck run this smooth. It’s great. I might bump the timing back up just a bit, as it’s not kicking back or pinging in the slightest. I might get away with a bit more advance. I am very happy with it, though, and so glad I didn’t just return it and write it off as junk! It’s not... my straight six has never sounded so good. 🙂