Bullnose Forums

New/Repro YF carburetor for the 300 six

I’ve owned 300 sixes, a 240 six and a 250 six in a Mercury comet. The bane of these engines has always been fighting crappy worn out 1bbl carburetors that are beyond the help of a rebuild kit. David recently sent me a link for new/reproduction YF carburetor units for sale on eBay. The price point on these is simultaneously attractive and cause for concern. I looked at reviews of ECCPP carburetors (mostly from motorcycle/dirt bike owners) and the results are mixed... but overall favorable enough that I pulled the trigger. I will update later with my user experience. They do advertise a 60 day money back guarantee and a 3 year service warranty. We shall see...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293470379820

20620851-2285-4BED-9417-D959CF2EB9D9.thumb.jpeg.99da78c235068624d37d8ecdc5bc1eff.jpeg

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of my small engines (Honda, Stihl, Husquvarna, Homelite) seem to know they have a knockoff carb.

Do heed the directions to flush the packing oil out of all the jets and passages.

It's hard NOT to take a chance when a new carb is less that a rebuild kit.

I've been seeing those around, been thinking about picing one up for a spare even though i've done the mods to mine, at that price you cant go wrong.

Subscribed. I might stick the 300 back into my current project truck, and it needs a carb, so I'd really like to know how this one works Jon. Thanks.

I've messed around with several china knock off's. believe it or not, they are pretty good for the money. sort of a throw away carb. i'm running a china 2150 on another vehicle and some lawnmower carbs, so far, great service. I'm going to buy a yfa knock off for Brutus and put his stock one in a box in the truck for a spare really for nothing but curiosity.

I've been seeing those around, been thinking about picing one up for a spare even though i've done the mods to mine, at that price you cant go wrong.

At that price I was thinking the same and stick it on the shelf but it would be my luck when I needed it in say 5 years, I got one that did not work out of the box :nabble_smiley_cry:

If I needed one now I would go for it.

Dave ----

I've messed around with several china knock off's. believe it or not, they are pretty good for the money. sort of a throw away carb. i'm running a china 2150 on another vehicle and some lawnmower carbs, so far, great service. I'm going to buy a yfa knock off for Brutus and put his stock one in a box in the truck for a spare really for nothing but curiosity.

What size 2150?

Tom in Vermont is looking for a 1.21 2100 or 2150.

What is your impression of that carb?

Nothing wrong with new carbs just be careful some times they have differences to make them fit numerous years. I got one for my el camino that has relocated the fresh air line for the hot air choke to where it is sitting atop the EGR valve and wont let the carb sit down. Had to bend it up quite a bit. Another change is I have to swap the base plate cause the new one doesnt come with the arm on the throttle shaft for the AC stepper solenoid.

I do suggest you also flush and check the new carb, I sent my first one back cause the thing had idle mixture screws that could be screwed in fully and no change in the idle. Ive also had remans do this also.

Nothing wrong with new carbs just be careful some times they have differences to make them fit numerous years. I got one for my el camino that has relocated the fresh air line for the hot air choke to where it is sitting atop the EGR valve and wont let the carb sit down. Had to bend it up quite a bit. Another change is I have to swap the base plate cause the new one doesnt come with the arm on the throttle shaft for the AC stepper solenoid.

I do suggest you also flush and check the new carb, I sent my first one back cause the thing had idle mixture screws that could be screwed in fully and no change in the idle. Ive also had remans do this also.

Gentlemen, thank you for your comments and advice. What you all are saying matches the other comments I have read on the net. I will report back when I receive and install it.