Bullnose Forums

Outing For Big Blue or Blue?

Now that you are safely back, Gary, take a quick read of the prayer on the 1st page of the Bullnose Forum! :nabble_anim_claps:

My prayers, plural, yesterday included the equivalent. For sure! :nabble_smiley_good:

Several observations from yesterday that I didn't mention last night or that need restated:

• Under heavy load, like the pickup and trailer, there's a buzz in the truck between about 55 and 60 MPH. It isn't very strong, but it is there. Not really a vibration in the way of something out of balance, but just the feeling of touching rotating machinery. I'm thinking the torque required to move that much mass has the header against the frame and it is the vibration of the engine I'm feeling. Dunno why it isn't there above or below that speed.

• The glass packs have to go. Now that the new window runs have muted the wind noise, the exhaust noise is ever-present. But, when accelerating with a load it is obnoxious. People turn and look. :nabble_smiley_blush:

• The tach is starting to have an erratic tick to it. One thing , but that could cause that is an ignition problem, but it is doing it under load, with seemingly no glitch in the power and no change in the exhaust note. Could switch out the tach for the one going in Dad's truck, but this one shouldn't do that.

• The gas gauge is stuck on Full+. I've checked the wiring and pulling the connector from the tank sends the gauge to zero, there's pulsing voltage to the connector, and placing it back on sends it above Full. So the sending unit is apparently stuck. Its been that way for a week or two and I'd hoped that a long trip and bouncing around as it did would cause it to start working again, but not dice.

Interestingly enough, those ills will be fixed as a result of the upgrade to EFI that is planned for Big Blue. The EFI heads have different exhaust openings so I can't use the existing headers. The exhaust that came on Huck will bolt back on to those heads, but the pipes are cut in the perfect place to have Magnaflow mufflers installed. As for the tach, I'm assuming that the EEC-V system will drive it, so at least the ignition system will be completely different. And the sending unit will have to be completely different so that problem should be solved.

Is that reason enough to do the swap? :nabble_smiley_evil:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that reason enough to do the swap? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Absolutely! Tell Janey that it is a sign... :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Gary, the tach signal for the EFI systems is still from the coil - side so it should not be an issue. Look at your parts fiches some time or the CD for tach PNs, I think you will find that other than Diesels, one size fits all because the 1985.5-1986 5.0L EFI used a TFI module on the distributor and apparently the 1988-89 460 EFI had it there too. That should show if there was a different tach for the EFI and non-EFI.

The only difference I have found is there is a wire that is grounded for 8 cyl and left open for 6 cyl to make it count either 4 or 3 pulses per 1 rpm.

Gary, the tach signal for the EFI systems is still from the coil - side so it should not be an issue. Look at your parts fiches some time or the CD for tach PNs, I think you will find that other than Diesels, one size fits all because the 1985.5-1986 5.0L EFI used a TFI module on the distributor and apparently the 1988-89 460 EFI had it there too. That should show if there was a different tach for the EFI and non-EFI.

The only difference I have found is there is a wire that is grounded for 8 cyl and left open for 6 cyl to make it count either 4 or 3 pulses per 1 rpm.

Good point, Bill. Thanks.

Another issue or three that will be corrected as a result of the swap:

• Brake master is leaking at the cap and there's another brake fluid spot on the driveway. But I have the F350 master from Jim, which has the plastic reservoir and single plastic cap, and that will fix the problem.

• Dipstick: The one that's in there is an aftermarket round one, and it is all but impossible to get to and cannot be removed w/o wiping it on the side of something coming out. But in the swap Huck's pan and later style o-ringed dipstick tube will be installed, so problem solved.

• Oil leaks: Yesterday's run has new/more oil thrown from the front main as well as from the rear of the intake manifold, so now there are more oil drops on the drive. But, as said, Huck's pan will go on in the EFI installation, and I'll install new front and rear main seals as well as do the lower plenum up well.

So, yes I can tell Janey it is NEEDED! :nabble_smiley_happy:

• Brake master is leaking at the cap and there's another brake fluid spot on the driveway. But I have the F350 master from Jim, which has the plastic reservoir and single plastic cap, and that will fix the problem.

• Dipstick: The one that's in there is an aftermarket round one, and it is all but impossible to get to and cannot be removed w/o wiping it on the side of something coming out. But in the swap Huck's pan and later style o-ringed dipstick tube will be installed, so problem solved.

• Oil leaks: Yesterday's run has new/more oil thrown from the front main as well as from the rear of the intake manifold, so now there are more oil drops on the drive. But, as said, Huck's pan will go on in the EFI installation, and I'll install new front and rear main seals as well as do the lower plenum up well.

Justify: (root meaning Mechanic’s English)

Slang contraction of the phrase “just if I...”

Just if I upgraded to EFI that would be the end of my carburetor problems...

Gary, have you ever heard of these guys?

Gearhead Automotive Performance

Good to here the trip was uneventful but it does not give a good story when the time comes :nabble_smiley_happy:

Like the Hollywood wheel I had or should say lost on a trailer when going to CA.

It was dusk just passing a big rig when I was checking the mirrors when I saw sparks coming from 1 of the 4 wheels.

I got it all pulled over safely and sure enough 1 wheel is gone, lug gone and studs chewed up...........

Yep 1 of the many stories from that trip out to CA and back to CT, oh it was the first week of Dec too!

Dave ----

Good to here the trip was uneventful but it does not give a good story when the time comes :nabble_smiley_happy:

Like the Hollywood wheel I had or should say lost on a trailer when going to CA.

It was dusk just passing a big rig when I was checking the mirrors when I saw sparks coming from 1 of the 4 wheels.

I got it all pulled over safely and sure enough 1 wheel is gone, lug gone and studs chewed up...........

Yep 1 of the many stories from that trip out to CA and back to CT, oh it was the first week of Dec too!

Dave ----

Jonathan - Works for me. In fact, with today's revelation that the fuel system is leaking, and the realization that all of that will be replaced with EFI, I have one more reason backing up the "justifI".

Yeah, I've had trips like that. But this one went off smoothly. Our biggest problem was the right rear wheel refusing to rotate. We loosened the park brake cable - no dice. We removed the driveshaft - no dice. So we winched the truck on with the tire dragging, and tied it to a tree and pulled the trailer out from under it on the other end.

Motor will have to come out.

Motor will have to come out.

That's the plan, Stan. The question is when. Gotta get Dad's truck ready for the show first.

By the way, I got the bill of sale for Huck in the mail yesterday, so can now dispose of him. :nabble_anim_jump:

Oh yes, have you seen the Member's Map? The map resides here in the menu (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map) , but the discussion thereof is in the Member's Map thread. I took the liberty of adding you, albeit not as Willing To Help as that seemed a bit too presumptuous. But, I can change that or delete you from the map if you want.

That's the plan, Stan. The question is when. Gotta get Dad's truck ready for the show first.

By the way, I got the bill of sale for Huck in the mail yesterday, so can now dispose of him. :nabble_anim_jump:

Oh yes, have you seen the Member's Map? The map resides here in the menu (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map) , but the discussion thereof is in the Member's Map thread. I took the liberty of adding you, albeit not as Willing To Help as that seemed a bit too presumptuous. But, I can change that or delete you from the map if you want.

That is fine Gary. I am happy to help.