Bullnose Forums

Outing For Big Blue or Blue?

Good idea, Bill. I'll have to pull the air cleaner to set it, but that's not a problem.

As for the PTO terminal, if you only had a 1996 EVTM. :nabble_smiley_wink:

By the way, the outfit that sent me the second poorly-printed one told me to keep it. So I'll probably cut the pages out and scan the ones I need for the EEC-V upgrades to both my trucks, and they'll become part of my documentation.

I do, but nothing shows about it. Do you need me to start scanning mine?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do, but nothing shows about it. Do you need me to start scanning mine?

No, but thanks. I don’t think we need the full ‘96 EVTM on here. Just the pieces specific to EEC-V swaps, and I can easily do that by cutting those pages out of the awful copy I have - when the time comes.

No, but thanks. I don’t think we need the full ‘96 EVTM on here. Just the pieces specific to EEC-V swaps, and I can easily do that by cutting those pages out of the awful copy I have - when the time comes.

Ok, I do have some spreadsheets I made when doing mine to track the wiring changes for the engine/transmission.

I'll keep the speed down, but that means I'll be that guy in the right lane going far slower than anyone else. I say that because I usually take the turnpike and the speed limit is currently 75 - and the traffic runs 80. Maybe I'd better rethink that? :nabble_anim_confused:

Hand winch - ouch! That's what we had the last time I went to that piece of property, which was to get the '50 Chevy pickup. As said, it had sunk into the ground up to the hubs, and the tires were D-shaped. Getting it broken loose from the ground, even with a lot of shoveling, was a huge chore. But winching it by hand was a major problem. We'd get it rolling and then all 4 flat spots on the tires would hit the ground at the same time. :nabble_smiley_argh: That's the day I vowed to have a serious electric winch.

As for the batteries, the driving will certainly charge them up nicely. And I will keep the truck running while winching. But, I need to come up with a way to raise the idle speed to get more charging from that 1G as it just doesn't do much at idle.

Anyway, today I'm hoping to try to crimp the connectors into Big Blue's wiring. And then determine how long my extension cord/jumper cable needs to be and make it. But Scott's coming over w/his '78 and we are going to replace the water pump, so we'll see how much I get done.

My hand winch is a 2 speed so when something is stuck put it in low and start cranking.

I had to hand crank on a full size Chry fury, Blues Brothers car with speaker on roof and all, now that was a heavy car.

Dave ----

My hand winch is a 2 speed so when something is stuck put it in low and start cranking.

I had to hand crank on a full size Chry fury, Blues Brothers car with speaker on roof and all, now that was a heavy car.

Dave ----

Bill - Maybe I can use those on my wiring?

Dave - I'm lazy, and will take electric any day. But, a Blues Bro's car - that's cool!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't hold your breath. Ford blue isn't becoming on old men. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I'm hoping to get to Big Blue late this year, probably after the show.

Ok, update time on this thread. I've been documenting my work in the WHYDTYTT thread, but will bring this one up to speed.

First, the trailer is almost ready. I've mounted the winch to it and have made a 10' jumper of 2/0 welding cable to connect back to Big Blue's wiring system. That way I'll have both batteries from which to pull current and the alternator to replenish them. And along the way I had to remove the hook on the winch line as it wouldn't go through the fairlead on Big Blue's bumper. Instead I installed a shackle that can be removed easily by removing a snap ring, and I can attach the hook to the shackle via a D-ring if I need to do so.

And, I've leveled the trailer when connected to Big Blue by adjusting the height of the hitch, although I did have to grind a bit of metal off the front of the hitch due to lack of clearance between it and the drawbar. Plus the tire pressures have all been set - both on the trailer and on Big Blue. So all that is left to do on the trailer is to give the new bearings a squirt of grease and to check the torque on the lug nuts.

Speaking of tires, Roger is sure the tires on the '60 Chevy pickup will be badly rotten, and he won't have time to find good ones while he's there. So I pulled the tires off the '50 and put it up on jack stands. And, in doing so discovered that two of them weren't holding air, so I took them into the local tire shop. A couple of hours later I got them back with assurances that they are now well and truly sealed. So the back of Big Blue is full of tires - the 4 for the Chevy and Big Blue's own huge spare.

I have the tools rounded up, and I'm taking a full set of wrenches, sockets & ratchet, screw drivers, etc. Plus my Ridgid impact, drill, and sawsall and 4 charged batteries. And I have chain and lots of ratchet straps, gloves, etc. In addition I'll have a bottle jack and a floor jack. Plus I'll take a cooler with water and Gatoraide. But, what other tools might I need?

As for Big Blue, all the fluids have been checked and I even replaced the glass runs and anti-rattle strips on the doors yesterday, which significantly reduced the wind noise. And I've fixed the brake controller wiring and tested the trailer's brakes and lights. Today I plan to adjust the headlights (tonight actually) and figure out how to connect my phone to the radio for tunes as I drive. And I plan to install a shutoff valve in the heater hose so the Vent position will have cooler air coming in.

What else should be done? What other tools might I need?

Ok, update time on this thread. I've been documenting my work in the WHYDTYTT thread, but will bring this one up to speed.

First, the trailer is almost ready. I've mounted the winch to it and have made a 10' jumper of 2/0 welding cable to connect back to Big Blue's wiring system. That way I'll have both batteries from which to pull current and the alternator to replenish them. And along the way I had to remove the hook on the winch line as it wouldn't go through the fairlead on Big Blue's bumper. Instead I installed a shackle that can be removed easily by removing a snap ring, and I can attach the hook to the shackle via a D-ring if I need to do so.

And, I've leveled the trailer when connected to Big Blue by adjusting the height of the hitch, although I did have to grind a bit of metal off the front of the hitch due to lack of clearance between it and the drawbar. Plus the tire pressures have all been set - both on the trailer and on Big Blue. So all that is left to do on the trailer is to give the new bearings a squirt of grease and to check the torque on the lug nuts.

Speaking of tires, Roger is sure the tires on the '60 Chevy pickup will be badly rotten, and he won't have time to find good ones while he's there. So I pulled the tires off the '50 and put it up on jack stands. And, in doing so discovered that two of them weren't holding air, so I took them into the local tire shop. A couple of hours later I got them back with assurances that they are now well and truly sealed. So the back of Big Blue is full of tires - the 4 for the Chevy and Big Blue's own huge spare.

I have the tools rounded up, and I'm taking a full set of wrenches, sockets & ratchet, screw drivers, etc. Plus my Ridgid impact, drill, and sawsall and 4 charged batteries. And I have chain and lots of ratchet straps, gloves, etc. In addition I'll have a bottle jack and a floor jack. Plus I'll take a cooler with water and Gatoraide. But, what other tools might I need?

As for Big Blue, all the fluids have been checked and I even replaced the glass runs and anti-rattle strips on the doors yesterday, which significantly reduced the wind noise. And I've fixed the brake controller wiring and tested the trailer's brakes and lights. Today I plan to adjust the headlights (tonight actually) and figure out how to connect my phone to the radio for tunes as I drive. And I plan to install a shutoff valve in the heater hose so the Vent position will have cooler air coming in.

What else should be done? What other tools might I need?

Hopefully you wouldn’t need any of this, but if you are going to be out loading in a muddy field consider a shovel, a digging bar and an extra tow chain/strap just in case. Also wooden planks if you have any laying around in case it’s trying to sink in. I like to have chock blocks handy whenever I am messing with vehicles in neutral. Also carpet or cardboard to lay on for changing wheels and hitching up. This may all be common sense stuff and not the kinds of tools you were thinking about but thought I’d mention it anyway.

Hopefully you wouldn’t need any of this, but if you are going to be out loading in a muddy field consider a shovel, a digging bar and an extra tow chain/strap just in case. Also wooden planks if you have any laying around in case it’s trying to sink in. I like to have chock blocks handy whenever I am messing with vehicles in neutral. Also carpet or cardboard to lay on for changing wheels and hitching up. This may all be common sense stuff and not the kinds of tools you were thinking about but thought I’d mention it anyway.

A shovel is a good idea - I'd planned on taking one but had forgotten. Planks are a good idea, but I don't have any. Should have purchased the recovery tracks I looked at recently.

I forgot to list the chocks, but they are in the tool box on the truck. And I have a recovery/tree saver strap, but a digging bar is a good idea. And maybe the sledge to drive it in if necessary.

Carpet is a great idea. I think I have some old stuff that would work well for getting down to change out the tires w/o wearing all that mud for the rest of the day.

Thanks!