Bullnose Forums

1986 F350/460 ambulance reprovision

Westerj

The drains were never meant to pass debris.

That's why I got rid of them.

Be sure to caulk those panels back into the kicks, and you might want to check the sealant inside while you're in there.

Even a tiny leak between layers of steel can cause terminal corrosion.

Put a bead of non-hardening sealant (and seal the screws too) before you close them up.

Otherwise you'll have soggy floors every time it rains.

And what do you do if you have a non-AC truck that don't have them metal plates as that is were the air comes in to vent the cab?

Yes I did have water come in when driving the truck during a heavy rain.

It was before I had working AC and had to have the vents open, windows cracked and defrost on to clear the windshield.

Dave ----

My brick is a non-AC truck and came with the covers glued on.

Maybe Ford figured out that they couldn't leave them open because the truck would flood if the drains backed up?

Those manual vents have a trough on the top to redirect the water so it's not running against the bottom lip like it does with the flat close-off panels. If they are leaking I would check the sealing gasket otherwise it may be unavoidable. Combine air coming in with water passing over and around the opening and it's very likely there will be some moisture making its way in. But that should be through the vents and not around it.

It was coming thru the vents and blowing on my leg.

My point was Jim said to seal the plates and screws so water would not get in.

Dave ----

It was coming thru the vents and blowing on my leg.

My point was Jim said to seal the plates and screws so water would not get in.

Dave ----

Time to setup 3d printer and make some flexible

Inserts. Idea is to keep wheel spray, splashes out...

And let any cowl water drain thru.

Anyhoo... is this a standard compressor?

20200821_231921.jpg.f8a1f7bdc4cd9fab56244979c6d12801.jpg

Definitely no harm in building a better mousetrap (relevant pun intended), but the fender liner will take care of this. Plus, not a big deal if water gets splashed up there anyways as it will just come back down as intended.

I guess I could see wanting to avoid potential winter salt water from getting in there but I really don't think it will get past the liner.

Like Jim, I don't have mine installed but if you come up with a better design, might be interested.

Definitely no harm in building a better mousetrap (relevant pun intended), but the fender liner will take care of this. Plus, not a big deal if water gets splashed up there anyways as it will just come back down as intended.

I guess I could see wanting to avoid potential winter salt water from getting in there but I really don't think it will get past the liner.

Like Jim, I don't have mine installed but if you come up with a better design, might be interested.

Yep, you can see from my cutaway fender the liner has this pretty much covered.

But, please do show what you come up with.

I'm interested too!