Bullnose Forums

1986 F350/460 ambulance reprovision

Westerj

I like to use a phosphoric acid prep to convert the oxides to phosphate and passivate the rust before any kind of paint or primer.

Ospho is a popular name brand but I've been using Kwik Strip concrete and metal prep from the box store.

Comes in a gallon that you dilute and is dark cyan in color.

I use a cheap 1/2 gallon hand pump sprayer from Horrid Fate.

They're $4.99 on sale or with a coupon.

Wear a respirator and goggles not safety glasses.

I wear a tyvek bunny suit if it's not too hot out.

If you get into pulling panels there will be no end.

You'll be looking at a frame, like Gary.

One place that really does need attention though is the cowl, and its drains.

Pull the cowl, pull the rubber drains behind each wheel and flush all that gunk out with a hose.

Pull the kickpanels inside the truck to get at the other side from the drains.

Then carefully check the caulking in the cowl for being dried out and cracking or peeling.

This can be the source of many leaks and will cause significant damage if left unchecked.

Other caulk to check is in the rain gutters and the roof to body seam at the upper corners of the front and back window.

Get it, before it gets your truck...

Hmm. I guess under carriage gets pressure wash.. dry 2 days... pgosphoric acid... dry 1 day.. rusty metal primer.. then a week dry...maybe schutz then ??

Hmm. I guess under carriage gets pressure wash.. dry 2 days... pgosphoric acid... dry 1 day.. rusty metal primer.. then a week dry...maybe schutz then ??

You don't need to let it dry to apply Ospho.

It needs a rinse after a couple of applications

I'm not a fan of undercoat, but I won't try to dissuade you.

You don't need to let it dry to apply Ospho.

It needs a rinse after a couple of applications

I'm not a fan of undercoat, but I won't try to dissuade you.

Rusty metal primer (at least was when it was fish oil based....) was pretty tough coating. Do have to provide pathway for water to drip out bottom. Is it possible to flush out rocker panels? got vinyl floor covering out.. stunk bad... Was wet. Only one small rust hole 1/2" square under glovebox. will get mig on it. What gage sheet metal for that? New vinyl floor arrived in middle of Isaias Hurricane!

Rusty metal primer (at least was when it was fish oil based....) was pretty tough coating. Do have to provide pathway for water to drip out bottom. Is it possible to flush out rocker panels? got vinyl floor covering out.. stunk bad... Was wet. Only one small rust hole 1/2" square under glovebox. will get mig on it. What gage sheet metal for that? New vinyl floor arrived in middle of Isaias Hurricane!

WAS.

As were a lot of good things.

But the world moves on, and I can't buy zinc chromate primer any more either.

Or lead paint, or pentachlorophenol....

I don't have any drain holes, since I replaced my floor and rocker a few months back. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

The rockers are wide open on the bottom.

What is there to "flush out"?

Many of us like Tabco body panels.

They're 19Ga. and then galvanized.

Not that you want zinc on your weld, but the thickness matches almost perfectly.

WAS.

As were a lot of good things.

But the world moves on, and I can't buy zinc chromate primer any more either.

Or lead paint, or pentachlorophenol....

I don't have any drain holes, since I replaced my floor and rocker a few months back. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

The rockers are wide open on the bottom.

What is there to "flush out"?

Many of us like Tabco body panels.

They're 19Ga. and then galvanized.

Not that you want zinc on your weld, but the thickness matches almost perfectly.

Do you mean inside the cab, behind the door gasket flange?

Mouse1 down. 3 more traps set. Going to have to pull dash apart to get mouse debris out. Big job?

Three mouse traps set all show signs of nibblage, so, victory is coming soon!! Second mouse gets the rest of the peanut butter.

Three mouse traps set all show signs of nibblage, so, victory is coming soon!! Second mouse gets the rest of the peanut butter.

What are you using for bait?

Take a piece of cotton cord or string, run it through the loop at the end of the 'shoe' and knot it.

Then work some nutella or peanut butter into the fibers.

This doesn't leave them with any to take home, and they'll have to tug at it trying to get it loose.

YMMV but this works best for me, in a barn with a lazy cat and oats in metal trash cans.