Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great! I skimmed a little bit back and didn't see an answer, so is this a stock color? Paint Code 3L ?

Hi Chris,

The truck is two tone, but the dark blue is Ford code 3B midnight blue metallic used between 1979-1981. The original paint was single stage, and the shop used their scanner camera to come up with the closest match in base/clear. So the new color on the panels I just had done is a GM color called “Old blue eyes metallic”. A quick Google search shows that it was used on various 2016-2018 vehicles?

I don’t know how well it’s going to match up until I bolt the fenders, steps, and tailgate to the bed...which have 30 year old 3B single stage on them. Fingers crossed that it won’t be too drastically different.

I ran into this when I had my 1984 Flareside painted. They had a really hard time converting the old single stage Ford 3P into a modern base/clear.

A bit of an issue around here is that it’s really hard to get anybody to spray single stage paint. It has been outlawed in certain areas due to new VOC regulations and has basically become backyard body shop paint.

Another issue coming down the line is that both the body shop and a separate auto body paint supplier told me that many of the paint companies will be deleting a lot of the old 80’s and older paint codes. This may be an issue specific to Canada as they will likely completely ban the single stage paints at some point. They new standard is the water based base/clear coatings. $$$$$

Hi Chris,

The truck is two tone, but the dark blue is Ford code 3B midnight blue metallic used between 1979-1981. The original paint was single stage, and the shop used their scanner camera to come up with the closest match in base/clear. So the new color on the panels I just had done is a GM color called “Old blue eyes metallic”. A quick Google search shows that it was used on various 2016-2018 vehicles?

I don’t know how well it’s going to match up until I bolt the fenders, steps, and tailgate to the bed...which have 30 year old 3B single stage on them. Fingers crossed that it won’t be too drastically different.

I ran into this when I had my 1984 Flareside painted. They had a really hard time converting the old single stage Ford 3P into a modern base/clear.

A bit of an issue around here is that it’s really hard to get anybody to spray single stage paint. It has been outlawed in certain areas due to new VOC regulations and has basically become backyard body shop paint.

Another issue coming down the line is that both the body shop and a separate auto body paint supplier told me that many of the paint companies will be deleting a lot of the old 80’s and older paint codes. This may be an issue specific to Canada as they will likely completely ban the single stage paints at some point. They new standard is the water based base/clear coatings. $$$$$

Gotcha, I really like the color. I'm trying to get my truck ready to be repainted back to original Midnight Blue Metallic (3L) as it looks in my profile photo. The problem is it's been resprayed over with Light Medium Blue (I think?) as shown in the first post of my project page, and at least one old coat of 3L underneath that.

I'd like to get it all stripped and repainted from bare metal up - there is some body work do also, my right fender seems to have been bondo'd at some point and where it meets the door on the bottom is jutting out a little bit.

I imagine the regulations here in California are the same or worse at this point regarding VOCs. When I get a little closer, I'll post a question to my project thread as how to best manage the painting process (send to shop in pieces, or send the whole truck, especially given the need for body work etc)

Anyway, looks good! Can't wait to see how it looks reassembled.:nabble_smiley_good:

Gotcha, I really like the color. I'm trying to get my truck ready to be repainted back to original Midnight Blue Metallic (3L) as it looks in my profile photo. The problem is it's been resprayed over with Light Medium Blue (I think?) as shown in the first post of my project page, and at least one old coat of 3L underneath that.

Code "3L" is Dark Blue Metallic (1982-1985?). Very nice color. I had saved pictures of a few different trucks with 3L paint as I was going to use that code myself. It is absolutely stunning in certain light. My 3B Midnight Blue Metallic is really dark, but I like it.

I believe this truck below is 3L Dark Blue Metallic. Very nice!

IMG_2286.jpg.9295c619c4a008a91f5798cb0eaf5bec.jpg

IMG_2287.jpg.7e481dc45995310eef69f4120719e97d.jpg

Code "3L" is Dark Blue Metallic (1982-1985?). Very nice color. I had saved pictures of a few different trucks with 3L paint as I was going to use that code myself. It is absolutely stunning in certain light. My 3B Midnight Blue Metallic is really dark, but I like it.

I believe this truck below is 3L Dark Blue Metallic. Very nice!

New bed sides are on the truck, finally! Still a lot of work to do, but it looks like a truck again!

43DB2F36-C5CB-4059-9D09-BF2236B5F775.jpeg.45ad708c399ed1ae7f12083bd98d746d.jpeg

A5581E6E-D268-4F13-A023-EF5C8B6270BD.jpeg.d246bfcdcaf95b388516bbda8357e801.jpeg

F47BB145-9E44-4CE8-9CC6-6F2302F9A1B4.jpeg.da0685b43b14a42cfca7c1f81c1835a7.jpeg

9282C26D-7689-42ED-8B4E-F3F134D3685F.jpeg.45c2cf2293b0dc3861b0969ff0bd9f75.jpeg