Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

Gary it should be fine. It will only be vapours that high up and there’s very little epoxy to contact...just a few pinholes. I’ve welded patches on these before but wanted a quicker easier fix for this one.

Last night I was rebuilding my left hand step bracket. The bottom of it was rotted away so I grafted in some new steel. Will finish welding it all up tonight.26066C0A-270A-44AF-B8E2-33A2269DC10D.jpeg.739f306f1947e04648a952d473107c50.jpeg

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning, Cory! You accomplish much and maintain moving forward! :nabble_anim_claps:

Ha! David I always have a list of tasks so every evening I try to knock one thing off the list! Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t, but you’ll never hear me complain about being bored!

We always need something to keep the hands and the mind busy!

TGIF (or in Gary’s case, TGITFS...thank god it’s the fifth Saturday!)

Last night was fuel filler neck rehab. I sand blasted this one and found it had a bunch of pinholes in the section between the hose and the back of the filler box. I slathered on a nice layer of JB Weld and today it’s as hard as a rock. Should be good for another 41 years!

Is it just that filler necks for Flaresides aren't available?

Yes, correct, and they’re always rusted out.

Yes, it IS the fifth Saturday! And much to do today. Like you, I really like to knock at least one thing off the list, even if I have to divide the things on the list into really small steps. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Glad the JB Weld will work there. That's a fairly easy fix then. And it won't rust. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes, correct, and they’re always rusted out.

Had another busy weekend working on the crusty old "Lincoln Flareside". I took the four bed panels to a body shop around the corner, and I'm hoping to have them back at the end of the week (ya...right...lol).

Anyway, in the meantime, my office had a pile of RockAuto boxes waiting to be installed, so I tore into them this weekend.

All new rear brakes, with the exception of one drum which looked to be fairly new by comparison. The driver's side rear brake shoes actually had no brake material on them at all...and judging by the condition of the wheel cylinders, I'm guessing that it didn't matter...lol.

shoe1.thumb.jpg.8dbefe5e7382c2eb48174193f7c54a38.jpg

wheelcylinder.thumb.jpg.0eebebed4b2df455ee9136155196b625.jpg

Good news was that the rear brake backing plates were oddly in really good condition. So all new steel lines from the master cylinder back to the rear brakes, wheel cylinders, shoes, spring kits, and one drum...lol.

Also installed the new fuel tank and sender as well as a new fuel line from the pump.

Also new rear shocks, and I replaced the driver's door latch post with a spare I had...the plastic bushing was gone and the door was loose and rattling badly. Closes tight now, and doesn't rattle.

The truck is still an awful mess...but it has it's own fuel tank along with a full braking system!

I drove it around the neighborhood a little bit...Sunday in an industrial park is plenty quiet. Holy smokes does this thing ride ROUGH!!...I hope it settles down a little bit with the weight of the bed on there.

Oh...and I tested the 4x4 and climbed some snow banks...but no pics of that!

IMG_4124.jpg.5af18dc453608c8f42a237ce48b05ddb.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg.7d40bb73e69c8914dcbb6da2fc181dc5.jpg

IMG_4126.jpg.328a13c6e1d38b3c0a53369c418f248f.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg.0b301a8a5a6517d3f5b20773d9b0e38b.jpg

Anyway, that's it...once I get the bed panels back and the bed assembled and installed, this thing with almost be ready for the road. I have a couple brake line fitting leaks to take care of, but otherwise I'm catching up!

Had another busy weekend working on the crusty old "Lincoln Flareside". I took the four bed panels to a body shop around the corner, and I'm hoping to have them back at the end of the week (ya...right...lol).

Anyway, in the meantime, my office had a pile of RockAuto boxes waiting to be installed, so I tore into them this weekend.

All new rear brakes, with the exception of one drum which looked to be fairly new by comparison. The driver's side rear brake shoes actually had no brake material on them at all...and judging by the condition of the wheel cylinders, I'm guessing that it didn't matter...lol.

Good news was that the rear brake backing plates were oddly in really good condition. So all new steel lines from the master cylinder back to the rear brakes, wheel cylinders, shoes, spring kits, and one drum...lol.

Also installed the new fuel tank and sender as well as a new fuel line from the pump.

Also new rear shocks, and I replaced the driver's door latch post with a spare I had...the plastic bushing was gone and the door was loose and rattling badly. Closes tight now, and doesn't rattle.

The truck is still an awful mess...but it has it's own fuel tank along with a full braking system!

I drove it around the neighborhood a little bit...Sunday in an industrial park is plenty quiet. Holy smokes does this thing ride ROUGH!!...I hope it settles down a little bit with the weight of the bed on there.

Anyway, that's it...once I get the bed panels back and the bed assembled and installed, this thing with almost be ready for the road. I have a couple brake line fitting leaks to take care of, but otherwise I'm catching up!

Awesome! You’re getting there... I think!

Good work, Cory! That was a whole lot you got done. A month's worth for me. :nabble_anim_claps:

But I think you are right, there was no need for friction material on that corner. That system wasn't going to move. :nabble_smiley_oh:

As for the ride, the bed doesn't weigh much, so.....

Even if the body shop isn't punctual, the bumper looks great!

Lots of progress this weekend. :nabble_smiley_good: