Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

Cory, I wouldn't got out and buy a tool just to dress up your bed rails.

If you would be using it for other projects around the house I could definitely see investing in a useful tool.

Oh, I do have other things I can do with it...and I understand on the bed rail smoothness, I'd just like to even it out a bit more myself before I hand it off for finishing, that's all.

Well it's far easier to get a plateau with a platen than with a 4 1/2" disc, I can assure you of that.

I usually only make suggestions based on what I have to work with.

It's not always the best technique.

Just be cautious that you don't heat distort the sheet metal.

Because if you grind it flat when hot, it's going to cool and create divots.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cory, I wouldn't got out and buy a tool just to dress up your bed rails.

If you would be using it for other projects around the house I could definitely see investing in a useful tool.

Oh, I do have other things I can do with it...and I understand on the bed rail smoothness, I'd just like to even it out a bit more myself before I hand it off for finishing, that's all.

A belt sander would help get it flat as that is what I used to make the mounting flange thinner on my EFI manifolds.

Now the flap disc may get it closer to flat also.

I think you are not working a large enough area. If you been working say a 1 foot area move it out to 2 to 3 feet moving a foot down the side every few min, to get the whole lip and then work back to the other end.

Think of it as trying to turn that flap disc into a board / belt sander by moving it.

Oh you will need to do the same with the belt sander too.

It is looking good :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave ----

A belt sander would help get it flat as that is what I used to make the mounting flange thinner on my EFI manifolds.

Now the flap disc may get it closer to flat also.

I think you are not working a large enough area. If you been working say a 1 foot area move it out to 2 to 3 feet moving a foot down the side every few min, to get the whole lip and then work back to the other end.

Think of it as trying to turn that flap disc into a board / belt sander by moving it.

Oh you will need to do the same with the belt sander too.

It is looking good :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave ----

Finally got my bed sides finished today and I have to say I’m pretty sick of working on them LOL. Anyway, next up is paint.

87ABF957-5854-4F1E-B0A8-2E7C0985DE29.jpeg.88b314be581f968c749c9d3c67daa0f0.jpeg

1D2A46D1-0FC5-486B-9581-6C46106FE6E0.jpeg.55823f40f878e93f5597695854cd9fc3.jpeg

5E0FB3BB-5196-4036-BE10-7051215F5E41.jpeg.48ba4e2495d56c50a983bb047d6aff81.jpeg

CD540A1B-BA94-421C-8922-107ED2DB50CC.jpeg.da2d8b46c5343942cccdb1b222c9a6e8.jpeg

I see the forklift, so you must still have some access to the warehouse

That's exactly what I was going to say!

In this particular case, I have been saved by Covid...lol. The new owners of the company are in neighboring NB, and they have not been able to visit our location yet...so the truck is still in the shop. The building is now for sale however...so I'm moving out very soon. I'll be dragging the old truck home in another week or two I expect.

Hoping to use the shop to install new fuel tank and lines, and brakes and lines, next weekend. After that, I'll likely trailer it home. The weather is clearing up nicely now anyway.

I'm going to miss the use of that workshop, and all the space. The fork truck...hydraulic presses, sand blasting, heavy tools (3/4" and 1" impacts and sockets, etc)...and most of all, the storage space. There's lots of pallet racking where a guy can keep winter tires (in the summer) and summer tires (in the winter...lol).

I have avoided building a detached garage at home because I never really needed it, but now I need space. I suppose I could sell one of these stupid trucks...lol.

Anyway, my next project will have to be somewhat lighter fare...I won't have the equipment or space for doing frame swaps and cab swaps, etc. Life goes on.

I see the forklift, so you must still have some access to the warehouse

That's exactly what I was going to say!

In this particular case, I have been saved by Covid...lol. The new owners of the company are in neighboring NB, and they have not been able to visit our location yet...so the truck is still in the shop. The building is now for sale however...so I'm moving out very soon. I'll be dragging the old truck home in another week or two I expect.

Hoping to use the shop to install new fuel tank and lines, and brakes and lines, next weekend. After that, I'll likely trailer it home. The weather is clearing up nicely now anyway.

I'm going to miss the use of that workshop, and all the space. The fork truck...hydraulic presses, sand blasting, heavy tools (3/4" and 1" impacts and sockets, etc)...and most of all, the storage space. There's lots of pallet racking where a guy can keep winter tires (in the summer) and summer tires (in the winter...lol).

I have avoided building a detached garage at home because I never really needed it, but now I need space. I suppose I could sell one of these stupid trucks...lol.

Anyway, my next project will have to be somewhat lighter fare...I won't have the equipment or space for doing frame swaps and cab swaps, etc. Life goes on.

Last night was fuel filler neck rehab. I sand blasted this one and found it had a bunch of pinholes in the section between the hose and the back of the filler box. I slathered on a nice layer of JB Weld and today it’s as hard as a rock. Should be good for another 41 years!

FE556117-7200-4103-987D-A3964C0C6616.jpeg.cf66db8d909d233b5915e51f1606ae6d.jpeg

Last night was fuel filler neck rehab. I sand blasted this one and found it had a bunch of pinholes in the section between the hose and the back of the filler box. I slathered on a nice layer of JB Weld and today it’s as hard as a rock. Should be good for another 41 years!

I hope so, but in direct contact with gas JB Weld softens. So maybe just vapors it'll be fine?

I hope so, but in direct contact with gas JB Weld softens. So maybe just vapors it'll be fine?

Gary it should be fine. It will only be vapours that high up and there’s very little epoxy to contact...just a few pinholes. I’ve welded patches on these before but wanted a quicker easier fix for this one.