Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

Truck is looking good Cory :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the front dif vent hose.

Gary you said you have it under the master would it be closer to maybe put it on the radiator support?

I know some of the older 4x4 had them on the support and why I said it.

Dave ----

Thanks Dave! It's coming along. I don't have to tell you how much work it takes, eh? lol. I'm moving on to bed building next, and then once that is done cab work...driver's side floor pan and probably both cab corners. I've been trying to come up with a good name for the old truck for 6 months, and it just dawned on me yesterday that the "Lincoln Flareside" would be appropriate!:nabble_smiley_grin:

lincoln.thumb.jpg.ef131a8d03aef595c5ca076048b3f875.jpg

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truck is looking good Cory :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the front dif vent hose.

Gary you said you have it under the master would it be closer to maybe put it on the radiator support?

I know some of the older 4x4 had them on the support and why I said it.

Dave ----

Thanks Dave! It's coming along. I don't have to tell you how much work it takes, eh? lol. I'm moving on to bed building next, and then once that is done cab work...driver's side floor pan and probably both cab corners. I've been trying to come up with a good name for the old truck for 6 months, and it just dawned on me yesterday that the "Lincoln Flareside" would be appropriate!:nabble_smiley_grin:

Lincoln Flareside! I like it! :nabble_anim_claps:

Lincoln Flareside! I like it! :nabble_anim_claps:

It just a little bit of work :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Lincoln Flareside is a good name after all the work it took to get it where it is.

Did you know Lincoln made a pick up truck back in the day that was used north of the boarder but not Ford IIRC. We got the Ford and not the Lincoln here. I hear it is really hard getting parts for them when restoring.

Is that a gas or flux wire welder?

I don't see a tank and why I asked.

If flux have you used flux wire for sheet metal work yet?

Dave ----

Did you know Lincoln made a pick up truck back in the day that was used north of the boarder but not Ford IIRC. We got the Ford and not the Lincoln here. I hear it is really hard getting parts for them when restoring.

Dave I know they made Mercury pickups that were sold only in Canada...something like 20 years, from 48-68. I see them out on the car cruise-ins every now and then. I know of the Lincoln pickups in more recent years...I've seen them as well, but I believe they turned into what is now called the "Platinum" version of the F-series. There are lots of them on the roads up here.

Dave ----

Dave, I have this machine set-up with gas, it's just that it has a small Albee tank in the back that you couldn't see in the other picture. Buying one of these tanks is one way to get around needing a contract here, which is what the larger tanks require. This little tank lasts me a long time. I'm running the small 0.023" wire, and it has worked great up to at least 1/8" plate, which I weld all the time. We have a stick and flux-core machine at work, but I've never used the MIG side of it...only the stick. This little Lincoln welds like a dream.

IMG_3866.jpg.86fe43a5f7942ae0485a774bf20cf60e.jpg

I paid a lot of money for this little welder...it's actually one of the commercial machines, although it looks pretty much like the ones at Home Depot. It is 120v (20amp) and I bought it specifically for doing thin stuff (auto sheet metal, and whatever else), but it has proven to work well on thicker stuff.

It just a little bit of work :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Lincoln Flareside is a good name after all the work it took to get it where it is.

Dave ----

Lincoln sold pickups here in the U.S. Dave.

Kinda a Cartier edition F-150.

They were very plush.

Cory, do they really have limits like that for inert gas in Canada?

In the U.S. it's state by state, and I use a 60 or 80 c.f. tank depending on what's available at the gas supply when I run out.

In the U.S. it's state by state, and I use a 60 or 80 c.f. tank depending on what's available at the gas supply when I run out.

Jim,

I don't know if there's any gov't legislation as such, but the master distributor where I live is set up so that you have to rent the tanks from them...same for oxy acetylene, argon, etc...and they fill and exchange them as well. I'm not sure if they'll rent to Joe homeowner or not, but they definitely will with businesses. I bought the tank outright...I think it was around $300 and came filled, and it's around $85 to exchange/refill.

I just didn't want to have to sign a rental contract, so I bought the tank. I actually like these little Albee tanks...regulator is built-in, and they're easy to handle and transport, etc.

https://albeegascylinders.com/

Jim,

I don't know if there's any gov't legislation as such, but the master distributor where I live is set up so that you have to rent the tanks from them...same for oxy acetylene, argon, etc...and they fill and exchange them as well. I'm not sure if they'll rent to Joe homeowner or not, but they definitely will with businesses. I bought the tank outright...I think it was around $300 and came filled, and it's around $85 to exchange/refill.

I just didn't want to have to sign a rental contract, so I bought the tank. I actually like these little Albee tanks...regulator is built-in, and they're easy to handle and transport, etc.

https://albeegascylinders.com/

I realize that's $C, but that seems an outrageous amount.

If you are a business the tank contract is a write off and is spread over many jobs.

If the tank sits in your garage, it is not being used and it is all coming out of your pocket.

Where I am you can get 100# propane cylinders and 100 c.f. tanks of acetylene, oxygen, nitrogen etc.. outright.

I realize that's $C, but that seems an outrageous amount.

Haha...Jim, welcome to my world! Everything is an outrageous amount compared to the US.

Yeah, I didn't mean anything political, just that a refill on that tiny tank was $85 is shocking.

I get $60 for 80cf of 95/5.

But that is really cheap in my area.

It's who you know.... :nabble_smiley_wink:

Dave I know they made Mercury pickups that were sold only in Canada...something like 20 years, from 48-68. I see them out on the car cruise-ins every now and then. I know of the Lincoln pickups in more recent years...I've seen them as well, but I believe they turned into what is now called the "Platinum" version of the F-series. There are lots of them on the roads up here.

Dave ----

Dave, I have this machine set-up with gas, it's just that it has a small Albee tank in the back that you couldn't see in the other picture. Buying one of these tanks is one way to get around needing a contract here, which is what the larger tanks require. This little tank lasts me a long time. I'm running the small 0.023" wire, and it has worked great up to at least 1/8" plate, which I weld all the time. We have a stick and flux-core machine at work, but I've never used the MIG side of it...only the stick. This little Lincoln welds like a dream.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n89302/IMG_3866.jpg

I paid a lot of money for this little welder...it's actually one of the commercial machines, although it looks pretty much like the ones at Home Depot. It is 120v (20amp) and I bought it specifically for doing thin stuff (auto sheet metal, and whatever else), but it has proven to work well on thicker stuff.

:nabble_smiley_blush:you are right on the Merc. I get thinking back in the Lincoln/ Merc were at the same dealers.

My Lincoln is also 120 volts with gas bought for doing sheet metal work too.

Dave ----