Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

The new larger bushings went in without any drama at all. I cleaned the springs eyes out with a flapper wheel on the drill, wiped a dab a grease in the hole, and pressed the bushings in. They're nice and tight.

Springs are back on and and everything is torqued in place. I even took the forklift and set a pallet with a few hundred pounds on it on top of the frame to squat it a bit while I tightened everything down. Bolted the crossmember and upper shock mounts all back in place, spent another couple hours welding, and then finished painting. The old frame is now plated in various spots on the inside to strengthen and reinforce it.

Oh, and I stuck the Flareside bumper on it.

I guess that ends the 1995 frame swap...it's all complete now, more or less. I had to enlarge one set of frame holes for the bed...second set back from the cab were just small holes with plastic pads snapped in them. It wasn't much, but more or less enlarged them from about 7/16" to 5/8" (for the 1/2" bed bolts, or what were originally the slightly smaller M12 bolts).

There really won't be any way for people to tell that it has a 1995 frame other than where I modified it to fit the Bullnose bumper on it. The rear upper shock mount holes are a little different...they are indented on the 1995 frame...not sure when that started, but my 1984 frame is not like this. I assume Ford did this since it was such a problem area for rusting? "Lift" the shock mount off the frame a little bit and get it room to let the dirt and debris fall out.

Now I'm waiting for boxes from LMC and RockAuto with a bunch of odds and ends and misc rear braking components. After that will be fuel tank and rear shocks. I've already started working on the Flareside bed at home. I'm feeling confident that the old heap will be on the road this summer....it might not be pretty, but it will be mobile.

Oh, I meant to ask...I didn't get under to look yet, but I assume that is a vent tube hanging down underneath? Where is it supposed to be attached? Is it supposed to have one of those little black vent caps in it?

IMG_3850.jpg.ce8ad5a7f58b90781ea97abd38d1cb9e.jpg

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I meant to ask...I didn't get under to look yet, but I assume that is a vent tube hanging down underneath? Where is it supposed to be attached? Is it supposed to have one of those little black vent caps in it?

Yes, that's probably the rear axle vent tube, and it is supposed to have one of the little caps in the end and go up on the frame, right under the bed. But I normally put a fuel filter on it and then a short piece of hose turned down. That way dirt isn't falling in it, but can't get through if it did.

Anyway, it is really taking shape, Cory! That is a lot of work in a short period of time. :nabble_anim_claps:

Yes, that's probably the rear axle vent tube, and it is supposed to have one of the little caps in the end and go up on the frame, right under the bed. But I normally put a fuel filter on it and then a short piece of hose turned down. That way dirt isn't falling in it, but can't get through if it did.

Anyway, it is really taking shape, Cory! That is a lot of work in a short period of time. :nabble_anim_claps:

Hey Gary,

That is exactly what I did with the rear diff vent! This one is hanging off the front diff though...where does it normally go?

Hey Gary,

That is exactly what I did with the rear diff vent! This one is hanging off the front diff though...where does it normally go?

Oh, my bad. I actually don't know where the end is supposed to go on the front. The illustration below is all the info I have. But on BB, knowing I'm likely to ford a stream or two, I put the filter under the master cylinder and turned the hose down from there.

illustration_2_orig.thumb.jpg.27c51ea00f9187b0a44f325ad3f7a7db.jpg

The new larger bushings went in without any drama at all. I cleaned the springs eyes out with a flapper wheel on the drill, wiped a dab a grease in the hole, and pressed the bushings in. They're nice and tight.

Springs are back on and and everything is torqued in place. I even took the forklift and set a pallet with a few hundred pounds on it on top of the frame to squat it a bit while I tightened everything down. Bolted the crossmember and upper shock mounts all back in place, spent another couple hours welding, and then finished painting. The old frame is now plated in various spots on the inside to strengthen and reinforce it.

Oh, and I stuck the Flareside bumper on it.

I guess that ends the 1995 frame swap...it's all complete now, more or less. I had to enlarge one set of frame holes for the bed...second set back from the cab were just small holes with plastic pads snapped in them. It wasn't much, but more or less enlarged them from about 7/16" to 5/8" (for the 1/2" bed bolts, or what were originally the slightly smaller M12 bolts).

There really won't be any way for people to tell that it has a 1995 frame other than where I modified it to fit the Bullnose bumper on it. The rear upper shock mount holes are a little different...they are indented on the 1995 frame...not sure when that started, but my 1984 frame is not like this. I assume Ford did this since it was such a problem area for rusting? "Lift" the shock mount off the frame a little bit and get it room to let the dirt and debris fall out.

Now I'm waiting for boxes from LMC and RockAuto with a bunch of odds and ends and misc rear braking components. After that will be fuel tank and rear shocks. I've already started working on the Flareside bed at home. I'm feeling confident that the old heap will be on the road this summer....it might not be pretty, but it will be mobile.

Progress is good! :nabble_smiley_good:

When do you want to come work on my heap? :nabble_smiley_thinking:

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

The illustration below is all the info I have.

That's great Gary, thanks. I'll likely just run a new hose with a filter one it and stick it out of the way.

Haha! Jim, as much as I enjoy this stuff, my patience is wearing thin with it at times...lol. It really is way too much work...to rip apart two rotten trucks to build one rusty one, that is, a thousand some hours later, just now becoming a truck that's just barely worth rebuilding...lol. No joke. I still need to build a bed for it...it still needs a floor patches, cab corners, etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, it's all good...like anything else I have my highs and lows. Still, it feels good to revive an old clunker that a hundred other guys would have sent to the crusher without a blink of an eye. I was feeling in the mood to rebuild something, and I tell ya, it has been like drinking from a fire hose. I wanted a drink, but maybe not a deluge.

The illustration below is all the info I have.

That's great Gary, thanks. I'll likely just run a new hose with a filter one it and stick it out of the way.

Haha! Jim, as much as I enjoy this stuff, my patience is wearing thin with it at times...lol. It really is way too much work...to rip apart two rotten trucks to build one rusty one, that is, a thousand some hours later, just now becoming a truck that's just barely worth rebuilding...lol. No joke. I still need to build a bed for it...it still needs a floor patches, cab corners, etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, it's all good...like anything else I have my highs and lows. Still, it feels good to revive an old clunker that a hundred other guys would have sent to the crusher without a blink of an eye. I was feeling in the mood to rebuild something, and I tell ya, it has been like drinking from a fire hose. I wanted a drink, but maybe not a deluge.

Ha! Drinking from a firehose!

It’s like like an animal, don’t show any fear!

Looking good!

Haha! Jim, as much as I enjoy this stuff, my patience is wearing thin with it at times...lol. It really is way too much work...to rip apart two rotten trucks to build one rusty one, that is, a thousand some hours later, just now becoming a truck that's just barely worth rebuilding...lol. No joke. I was feeling in the mood to rebuild something, and I tell ya, it has been like drinking from a fire hose. I wanted a drink, but maybe not a deluge.

SAME feelings here. I've now personally ripped apart three trucks to make one good one. And there's parts from at least forty others on mine as well. I love the truck, but man I don't know if I want to touch another one that doesn't run. But I also said that years ago with my F150, and now here I am. I only want one more truck though, and that's something in crew cab diesel flavor. But when I go down that road, I won't lay down any cash unless it's running and driving.

I'm absolutely loving the progress you've made on this truck and can't wait to see it putting around.

Hey Gary,

Mine has a clip under the crossmember by the engine mount. The truck is coming along nicely Cory!:nabble_smiley_good:

Hey Gary,

Mine has a clip under the crossmember by the engine mount. The truck is coming along nicely Cory!:nabble_smiley_good:

Truck is looking good Cory :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the front dif vent hose.

Gary you said you have it under the master would it be closer to maybe put it on the radiator support?

I know some of the older 4x4 had them on the support and why I said it.

Dave ----