Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

Ah, I was just trying to reply that.

But I keep getting a grey dog eared sad face page, and my post is lost.

I don't know about the 300's because the inlet is on the other side, but I can see the impeller with the lower radiator hose off.

I'll have a look and try that. Good idea.

The other issue, which I'm not too concerned with at the moment is the fairly nasty positive camber currently. There's not much left to install on the front end...core support, radiator, battery tray and battery, hood, and coolant. I hope that squats the front a little more. I guess the bed will add to the overall weight as well...so while it looks like an issue currently, it might not be so bat later on once all of the truck is on the frame.

Ah, I was just trying to reply that.

But I keep getting a grey dog eared sad face page, and my post is lost.

I don't know about the 300's because the inlet is on the other side, but I can see the impeller with the lower radiator hose off.

I'll have a look and try that. Good idea.

The other issue, which I'm not too concerned with at the moment is the fairly nasty positive camber currently. There's not much left to install on the front end...core support, radiator, battery tray and battery, hood, and coolant. I hope that squats the front a little more. I guess the bed will add to the overall weight as well...so while it looks like an issue currently, it might not be so bat later on once all of the truck is on the frame.

Once you roll or drive the truck more than a couple of yards, the suspension will settle significantly. The additional weight will improve things a little, but it's only when I finally got my truck outside the garage that the extreme camber improved on mine, I imagine it will be the same for you.

Once you roll or drive the truck more than a couple of yards, the suspension will settle significantly. The additional weight will improve things a little, but it's only when I finally got my truck outside the garage that the extreme camber improved on mine, I imagine it will be the same for you.

Thanks for the reply Rob. I am hoping it settles a little better than it is.

Thanks for the reply Rob. I am hoping it settles a little better than it is.

Tires / wheels look good on there :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the pump I cant be of much help as my truck dose not use a clutch fan and yes I have AC..

I don't know if the motor that was in the parts truck had it or not as I did not get the motor with the truck. My motor had a 5 blade fan bolted to the pump and that is what I am using and so far no issues.

Dave ----

As for the pump I cant be of much help as my truck dose not use a clutch fan and yes I have AC..

I don't know if the motor that was in the parts truck had it or not as I did not get the motor with the truck. My motor had a 5 blade fan bolted to the pump and that is what I am using and so far no issues.

Dave ----

Ahh yes, right...the clutch fan only came later on, didn't it?...Like '83?

Dave ----

So I had a couple pieces of sheet metal bent up so I could make some test pieces. I also tried a couple different beads of weld to see which method filled the valley the best. I think this is going to work OK. I wanted to try a couple samples before getting the full 6 1/2 ft side panels bent up. My stake pocket hole is a little rough, but I was just seeing how difficult it was to bend the edges down the same as the factory panels are punched.

IMG_3354.jpg.ca127c411a7182791ac3495199e8208a.jpg

Using my 1984 Flareside as a template of course.

IMG_3357.jpg.27bc3459ca7a6bfe22e2b9cd6994e013.jpg

I welded for about an inch, and it didn't seem to warp or anything. Basically it's 16ga on top of 16ga, so I don't think it will warp all that easily.

So I had a couple pieces of sheet metal bent up so I could make some test pieces. I also tried a couple different beads of weld to see which method filled the valley the best. I think this is going to work OK. I wanted to try a couple samples before getting the full 6 1/2 ft side panels bent up. My stake pocket hole is a little rough, but I was just seeing how difficult it was to bend the edges down the same as the factory panels are punched.

I welded for about an inch, and it didn't seem to warp or anything. Basically it's 16ga on top of 16ga, so I don't think it will warp all that easily.

Looks good, Cory! I think it is going to work nicely. :nabble_smiley_good:

I think it looks great, Cory!

If you can get 78" welded without warping you're doing it right. :nabble_smiley_good:

Me? I could pull an I-beam out of square. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

A little die or jig beneath the rail will keep those stake pockets straight and square.

Dave ----

I am not sure when they started using the clutch fan?

It could of been with any truck that had Factory AC from say 80 on up but I am not sure :nabble_anim_confused:

Because the motor was sold from the parts truck with factory AC, before I bought itI don't know if it had a clutch fan or not? I can tell you it does a number on the AC condenser when pulling the motor as I had to replace it.

I just used what was on my truck when I bought it but I did add the fan shroud like a factory AC truck should have.

Dave ----

Dave ----

Jeez Corey, I didn't realize you had this going on. Don't know how I missed it.....following! BTW, nice wheels!