1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A little progress"?!?!?

My god man, save some for winter!

Haha, Jim, there is so much work that still needs to be done to this thing I don't even know what to do each week. I have more than enough to keep me busy not only through the winter, but for all of 2021, and probably some of 2022...lol.

I have days of buyer's remorse, seriously. After a weekend like this one, with the rust and dust in my hair, eyes, ears, etc, and wearing ear plugs and ear muffs at the same time to try and tone down the noise of the needle scaler...I ask myself, WTF did I get myself into this for???? LOL. Anyway, I have my highs and lows.

I'm making a list of stuff to order this week so that I'll have it over Christmas break. I'm a little bit concerned that shipping times are going to start getting longer and longer leading up to Christmas (this year more so than previous), and I want to ensure I'll have parts while I have the time off.

Well you've done a great job so far, Cory.

The before and after is outstanding! :nabble_anim_claps:

I do know that gritty feeling of rust in your ears, and the chafed neck from laying under it.

Then the cascade inside your shirt when you stand up!

It is really great you have that nice shop you can work in. :nabble_smiley_good:

Trying to get anything done out in the cold and snow is a challenge!

Well you've done a great job so far, Cory.

The before and after is outstanding! :nabble_anim_claps:

I do know that gritty feeling of rust in your ears, and the chafed neck from laying under it.

Then the cascade inside your shirt when you stand up!

It is really great you have that nice shop you can work in. :nabble_smiley_good:

Trying to get anything done out in the cold and snow is a challenge!

Jim, I'm pretty keen these days with the PPE for my eyes and ears, and even masks or respirators, but all of that stuff doesn't stop all of the grit from getting into everything else...lol. I was pretty good at wearing my coveralls all of the time too, but gave them up as I just get too hot in them. Problem now is I wear worn out jeans with ripped knees, and all of the grinder dust makes its way into those holes and down into my boots...lol. Oh well. I'm never bored, and that shower after working in the shop feels like none other.

Having the work shop to use is a real treat. I'll end up doing quite a bit of work on this truck at home (outside) eventually. I'm just getting all of the heavy lifting and extremely dirty work done at the shop at work.

The tent garages are really popular here. I might get one just for this truck not even so much to work in, but to keep the weather off it. I have the space on my property to build a detatched garage, but I've been avoiding it for years. Now we have a bit of a housing mess here with prices skyrocketing, and materials costs are through the roof, in some cases more than double the pre-Covid prices...so it won't be happening anytime soon. I have my little 1.5 vehicle attached garage, but these days I don't want to use it for anything dirtier than brake jobs, etc.

As for the stud, I can't picture it but can you do as you suggested and lay a bolt in from the back side and tack it?

Gary,

I know you know the part, I'm just not describing it clearly enough.:nabble_smiley_good:

See item #7 below. It is the lower mount for the forward shock on a quad shock front end. I snapped off just the threaded portion outside of where the shock sits.

I didn't realize it until I looked it up on LMC that the whole stud itself is a separate part from the bracket. I assumed it was welded on there. I didn't look at mine that closely. If it IS actually removeable from the bracket, then it should be easy enough to fix with a bolt and washers or I'll just have a new part made at a machine shop. I'll have to examine it more closely.

I don't think the stock bracket is two separate pieces, at least I'm 99% sure mine isn't.

Coming along nicely!:nabble_smiley_good:

I don't think the stock bracket is two separate pieces, at least I'm 99% sure mine isn't.

Good call. I just checked mine and they are indeed a one piece affair (the stud part is welded to the bracket). Maybe the aftermarket version IS a 2pc part. In any case, I should be able to repair it somehow.

Good call. I just checked mine and they are indeed a one piece affair (the stud part is welded to the bracket). Maybe the aftermarket version IS a 2pc part. In any case, I should be able to repair it somehow.

Could you see any way to use a replacement stud https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-HELP-31001-Shock-Bolt/dp/B000COB5BM/ref=pd_lpo_263_img_2/137-8991546-8374232?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000COB5BM&pd_rd_r=c313b2dc-1cce-4e3a-bbcd-d33904c719c6&pd_rd_w=6PjoV&pd_rd_wg=A7g6K&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=7QAJNDYFNXABEK421RDQ&psc=1&refRID=7QAJNDYFNXABEK421RDQ like this? If it works, I would think you could weld it in if you wanted or just bolted in making future replacement much easier.

Hey, not a bad idea Frank! Thanks. Link saved.

Hey, not a bad idea Frank! Thanks. Link saved.

You're very welcome.

You're very welcome.

That is a common problem on the 1983-1997 4x4 Rangers as their shock mount stud is welded to the side of the radius arm. They break often in northern climates, and the usual replacement is to just find a strong bolt that fits the shock with plenty of shoulder, and weld that to the radius arm.

That is a common problem on the 1983-1997 4x4 Rangers as their shock mount stud is welded to the side of the radius arm. They break often in northern climates, and the usual replacement is to just find a strong bolt that fits the shock with plenty of shoulder, and weld that to the radius arm.

Figures. Everything rusts and breaks off up here...lol. I'll get something geared up for it, not really a big deal. Just one more thing to weld...lol.