Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

Gary,

I was looking through the interior of this old 1980 this evening, and I don't believe that I've ever seen a Bullnose with a black center/radio bezel with a clock before. I've seen lots of clocks, but always in the woodgrain bezels. Maybe I'm just not used to the earlier black bezels.

Too bad it has been all chopped up. I have a nice black one from an '83, but it's not a Custom and has no cutout for the clock. I wonder how difficult it will be to find a replacement that is the same...

Also, something else I noticed that was new to me...the instrument bezel. I know the 1980 ones are different because of the turn signal indicator locations, but I noticed that there was no 4x4 indicator on the far right, and nothing in the far left indicator slot either. Was this a 1980 only thing? This is also new to me.

A little more progress this weekend. I finally got the front ends of the frame cleaned up. I wanted to get this taken care of before I put the front clip back on. Next weekend I'll change out the heater core and do a little more work on the firewall, etc before bolting the front clip back on the frame.

Pulled both quad shock towers and then needle scaled, wire cup wheeled, rust converted, painted black, rustproofed, and reinstalled. It was a lot of work, but I sure am glad this part is done. Ugh. And, I only had one casualty really...I snapped the stud off on one of the front forward lower shock mounts. Not sure how I'm going to fix that yet...maybe with a bolt, welded in place. That's lower priority at the moment. I cut the shocks off and threw them out for scrap.

thumbnail_IMG_3067.jpg.d7a282cd6d192d019c0331d34c6bba0d.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3068.jpg.23f163c2fd1395c06e5e6513ec5afed8.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3062.jpg.63049045682dc9ebf6a17b3cb36dfe24.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3071.jpg.baabb856dc0ea225763be74f58622c5d.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3072.jpg.7f49e92e18bfe663ff250777608f7047.jpg

I'm getting darn good and efficient at removing rivets now too...lol. I think the rivet removal count on this truck is around 45 now, and I still have more to go. I'm probably over 50 if I include the crossmember bracket I removed at the junkyard for this truck. I have about another 20 to go, but they're not for a little while yet, so I can have a rest.

It's still a junk heap, but its got a cleaner front frame after this weekend.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little more progress this weekend. I finally got the front ends of the frame cleaned up. I wanted to get this taken care of before I put the front clip back on. Next weekend I'll change out the heater core and do a little more work on the firewall, etc before bolting the front clip back on the frame.

Pulled both quad shock towers and then needle scaled, wire cup wheeled, rust converted, painted black, rustproofed, and reinstalled. It was a lot of work, but I sure am glad this part is done. Ugh. And, I only had one casualty really...I snapped the stud off on one of the front forward lower shock mounts. Not sure how I'm going to fix that yet...maybe with a bolt, welded in place. That's lower priority at the moment. I cut the shocks off and threw them out for scrap.

I'm getting darn good and efficient at removing rivets now too...lol. I think the rivet removal count on this truck is around 45 now, and I still have more to go. I'm probably over 50 if I include the crossmember bracket I removed at the junkyard for this truck. I have about another 20 to go, but they're not for a little while yet, so I can have a rest.

You are really making progress. And, it looks good! With the rust off and the preservative on it should stay that way for a long time.

As for the stud, I can't picture it but can you do as you suggested and lay a bolt in from the back side and tack it?

As for the stud, I can't picture it but can you do as you suggested and lay a bolt in from the back side and tack it?

Gary,

I know you know the part, I'm just not describing it clearly enough.:nabble_smiley_good:

See item #7 below. It is the lower mount for the forward shock on a quad shock front end. I snapped off just the threaded portion outside of where the shock sits.

4x4_suspension.jpg.923f4f1879a2a26c3732cab3606f2de5.jpg

I didn't realize it until I looked it up on LMC that the whole stud itself is a separate part from the bracket. I assumed it was welded on there. I didn't look at mine that closely. If it IS actually removeable from the bracket, then it should be easy enough to fix with a bolt and washers or I'll just have a new part made at a machine shop. I'll have to examine it more closely.

"A little progress"?!?!?

My god man, save some for winter!

:nabble_smiley_cool:. Cool that the snapped 'bolt' will drive right out the back side.

You've had plenty of practice at that. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Looking really, really good Cory.

"A little progress"?!?!?

:nabble_smiley_cool:. Cool that the snapped 'bolt' will drive right out the back side.

You've had plenty of practice at that. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Looking really, really good Cory.

I'm almost more excited for this project than I am my F350. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

"A little progress"?!?!?

Haha, Jim, there is so much work that still needs to be done to this thing I don't even know what to do each week. I have more than enough to keep me busy not only through the winter, but for all of 2021, and probably some of 2022...lol.

I have days of buyer's remorse, seriously. After a weekend like this one, with the rust and dust in my hair, eyes, ears, etc, and wearing ear plugs and ear muffs at the same time to try and tone down the noise of the needle scaler...I ask myself, WTF did I get myself into this for???? LOL. Anyway, I have my highs and lows.

I'm making a list of stuff to order this week so that I'll have it over Christmas break. I'm a little bit concerned that shipping times are going to start getting longer and longer leading up to Christmas (this year more so than previous), and I want to ensure I'll have parts while I have the time off.

I'm almost more excited for this project than I am my F350. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Ha! Well, this is why it's cool that we can all share our projects on here huh? It would be cool if we all lived within driving distance of each other and could share our projects in person. However, online does the trick pretty well these days.

When this truck is finished I will probably sell it or the other one. I can't see me keeping two of them. One of the underlying reasons of THIS project is so that it would keep me from selling my 1984 Flareside...lol.

Ha! Well, this is why it's cool that we can all share our projects on here huh? It would be cool if we all lived within driving distance of each other and could share our projects in person. However, online does the trick pretty well these days.

When this truck is finished I will probably sell it or the other one. I can't see me keeping two of them. One of the underlying reasons of THIS project is so that it would keep me from selling my 1984 Flareside...lol.

Whoa! Time for some intervention here!

Buyers remorse?! Sell one?!

Go easy now, you don’t even have cabin fever yet, I wouldn’t think. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

I think of selling my Bronco sometimes, all I have to do is drive it usually. Of course if someone offered a I’m not selling type of offer I probably would. The truck too for that matter and I like them both.

Not sure what I’d do if I sold the truck.

Looking good! Keep at it!

Go easy now, you don’t even have cabin fever yet, I wouldn’t think. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

I think of selling my Bronco sometimes, all I have to do is drive it usually. Of course if someone offered a I’m not selling type of offer I probably would. The truck too for that matter and I like them both.

I learned after 2017 that once you sell one, you'll want another. I guess it's not a big deal if you replace it with another project right after, but I chose to travel and although I don't regret that at all, it was only a few months after when I started itching for another Bullnose.

I've considered selling my 2003 Ranger for years, but I think it's really cool when people keep the same vehicle for most of their lives, and I'm already at ten years with that truck. I actually bought it right after I graduated high school, so I have every reason to keep it and I know it will be a great story twenty years from now.

That's incredible Cory. Night and day difference.

I call dibs if you ever want to find out :nabble_smiley_wink: