Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, it takes three minutes to make a truck!

Got it! :nabble_smiley_tongue:

So, I finally tackled the Bullnose frame horn swap this morning! Others have done this very thing before, but little info is available, and it seems like everybody does it differently. Anyway, here are some pictures to show my what little peach pit brain decided to do. Don't mind all the rust...I'm still in the process of cleaning that up, I just need to finish some other tasks first.:nabble_smiley_good:

IMG_2986.jpg.32f0f9f7a9929e433a9d101fbdde017e.jpg

IMG_2988.jpg.7ba5edab700be104344afa0460589332.jpg

I cut these Bullnose bumper horns off an '86 at the local junkyard before it got hauled off for scrap. I added a plate in the back of the horn to give me something to weld to and attach it to the boxed 1995 frame.

IMG_2989.jpg.7f74ad122b34294991b391d889484ba4.jpg

IMG_2991.jpg.4fc457d22d14fc130b8e9c43a9dc6ec6.jpg

I then notched out my back plate so that the boxed end of the frame was still open. I want to be able to spray rustproofing / undercoating in there, plus it allows me to weld inside.

bumperhorn1.thumb.jpg.113222626eb11540351cbffaef3c96b2.jpg

bumperhorn2.thumb.jpg.05f6b536794092537d8c999853533fbf.jpg

Everything is currently just tacked in place, but strong enough to hold it well. The bumper fit on just great, and all of my measurements check out OK.

IMG_2999.jpg.277d8c9104890b28a87b2671add4cf5b.jpg

IMG_3002.jpg.663d88c897ae64c6f74582a0ec719c28.jpg

My welder gas was on the verge of running out, so I left it as is for now. Once I get my bottle filled up, I'll weld everything in place permanently, and blend things in a little better.

That was it for today. A lot of measuring and test fitting, but I think it will be fine. Everything seems to measure out OK, and there's enough slop in those elongated holes I can always shim the bumper around a little bit if necessary.

Hoping to sit the cab on the frame tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

So, I finally tackled the Bullnose frame horn swap this morning! Others have done this very thing before, but little info is available, and it seems like everybody does it differently. Anyway, here are some pictures to show my what little peach pit brain decided to do. Don't mind all the rust...I'm still in the process of cleaning that up, I just need to finish some other tasks first.:nabble_smiley_good:

I cut these Bullnose bumper horns off an '86 at the local junkyard before it got hauled off for scrap. I added a plate in the back of the horn to give me something to weld to and attach it to the boxed 1995 frame.

I then notched out my back plate so that the boxed end of the frame was still open. I want to be able to spray rustproofing / undercoating in there, plus it allows me to weld inside.

Everything is currently just tacked in place, but strong enough to hold it well. The bumper fit on just great, and all of my measurements check out OK.

My welder gas was on the verge of running out, so I left it as is for now. Once I get my bottle filled up, I'll weld everything in place permanently, and blend things in a little better.

That was it for today. A lot of measuring and test fitting, but I think it will be fine. Everything seems to measure out OK, and there's enough slop in those elongated holes I can always shim the bumper around a little bit if necessary.

Hoping to sit the cab on the frame tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Well done! That's a good approach and it should be quite strong. :nabble_anim_claps:

Well done! That's a good approach and it should be quite strong. :nabble_anim_claps:

Thanks Gary. It's a bit ugly looking, but once it's all welded up and painted, it will look fine. Besides, nobody will see it anyway.

Seems like a great solution Cory! :nabble_smiley_good:

It looks great now, no need to think about it once there is a truck surrounding it.

It looks great now, no need to think about it once there is a truck surrounding it.

Thanks Jim! This old rust bucket has been keeping me plenty busy. I bought the big 10lb? roll of Mig wire a few years ago thinking it would last me a lifetime...lol. With this truck, I don't know about that...lol. Still, I'm having some fun with it. I was in the mood to build and fabricate...well, I'm getting my fill with this thing.

Thanks Jim! This old rust bucket has been keeping me plenty busy. I bought the big 10lb? roll of Mig wire a few years ago thinking it would last me a lifetime...lol. With this truck, I don't know about that...lol. Still, I'm having some fun with it. I was in the mood to build and fabricate...well, I'm getting my fill with this thing.

Great job!

Nice!:nabble_smiley_good: What's the idea behind those crinkles on that '95 frame, some sort of crumple/crush zone?

Ya, that started in 1992 as a crumple zone. The frames are the same from the core supports back, but the front ends are boxed and crumpled.

Truck is comin along great!

Nice!:nabble_smiley_good: What's the idea behind those crinkles on that '95 frame, some sort of crumple/crush zone?

Ya, that started in 1992 as a crumple zone. The frames are the same from the core supports back, but the front ends are boxed and crumpled.

*Only on half-tons and Broncos. The F250 and F350 did not have crumple zones.