Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

That's all real interesting Cory.

I wonder when the truck plant took vacation and switched over tooling for the 1980 models?

Though I'm sure there's some teething, you could divide by that 650 and come to an approximation.

Well, I would assume that the switch between the 1979 models and the 1980 models wouldn't be nearly as smooth as say, 1980-1981, etc. Not that it matters much in this case...but it would have surely taken some time to change over.

One of the vintage videos, I believe posted on here somewhere, shows the trucks rolling off the assembly line at the Virginia plant (I believe, in 1981) and I thought they said they were building 200 trucks a day. Would the Canadian plant be similar? Who knows...maybe they were only building 50 trucks a day.

It says that the truck was built 42 days late, but it still made it out in September. I suppose the long delay had something to do with the tooling change over?

Who knows. Still, these Marti reports are kinda neat to "geek out" on.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's all real interesting Cory.

I wonder when the truck plant took vacation and switched over tooling for the 1980 models?

Though I'm sure there's some teething, you could divide by that 650 and come to an approximation.

Well, I would assume that the switch between the 1979 models and the 1980 models wouldn't be nearly as smooth as say, 1980-1981, etc. Not that it matters much in this case...but it would have surely taken some time to change over.

One of the vintage videos, I believe posted on here somewhere, shows the trucks rolling off the assembly line at the Virginia plant (I believe, in 1981) and I thought they said they were building 200 trucks a day. Would the Canadian plant be similar? Who knows...maybe they were only building 50 trucks a day.

It says that the truck was built 42 days late, but it still made it out in September. I suppose the long delay had something to do with the tooling change over?

Who knows. Still, these Marti reports are kinda neat to "geek out" on.

I don't think 'built 42 days late" means much in this context.

The dealer knew they were ordering a 1980 model truck and would be waiting.

And I'm not sure how many millwright teams Ford had back then, but they certainly went to more than one plant a season.

Still, the idea that they could go in, strip out all the dies and jigs, fit and calibrate the new ones, introduce any new processes and have the line back up in a few weeks is amazing.

I imagine the 42 days is beyond what an order would usually take when production is in full swing.

And if that difference is ~80 days (6/29-9/20) that would mean normal fulfillment would approximate 5 weeks.

Which doesn't seem unreasonable.

Yup, so much insight and conjecture with a document like this.

Well, the truck was scheduled to be built on August 9th, 1979 and wasn't built until Sept 20th, 1979. I know this is only guessing, but I assume that it has something to do with the tooling changeover delays, as I've seen other Marti reports where the actual build date is indicated as being within a couple days +/- of the scheduled build date.

On the production numbers, I remembered that a guy parked beside me this summer at one of the Thursday night cruise-ins, and I took a picture of his certification label. His truck was also a 1984, built one month after mine, also in the Ontario plant. Our sequential serial numbers were 11,594 apart. Only issue is that we don't know if that was 10 days apart, or 60. If I divide by 50, I get 231 units per day. Only way to know for sure would be to order Marti reports for both, which I won't be doing...lol. I will be ordering one for my '84 at some point though, so I'll know then if it was built early in the month or late.

IMG_2248.jpg.b9f44a8fbe937a9d4aa5ff63c1503bac.jpg

I guess what I'm getting at is that it looks like they were probably pumping out at least a couple hundred trucks per day.

The dealer knew they were ordering a 1980 model truck and would be waiting.

And I'm not sure how many millwright teams Ford had back then, but they certainly went to more than one plant a season.

Still, the idea that they could go in, strip out all the dies and jigs, fit and calibrate the new ones, introduce any new processes and have the line back up in a few weeks is amazing.

I imagine the 42 days is beyond what an order would usually take when production is in full swing.

And if that difference is ~80 days (6/29-9/20) that would mean normal fulfillment would approximate 5 weeks.

Which doesn't seem unreasonable.

Yup, so much insight and conjecture with a document like this.

The Marti reports are cool!

And it is amazing to think about changing a plant over from one year to the next, much less one generation to the next. Plus training the production crew. And then being there for the first few days while they get going. That's a daunting task.

And it is amazing to think about changing a plant over from one year to the next, much less one generation to the next. Plus training the production crew. And then being there for the first few days while they get going. That's a daunting task.

Gary,

Wouldn't it be cool to talk to a Ford insider from back in the Bullnose era? I'd love to know more about the manufacturing and production numbers.

Gary,

Wouldn't it be cool to talk to a Ford insider from back in the Bullnose era? I'd love to know more about the manufacturing and production numbers.

Yes, it would! I'd like to know about the buck tags. What did they tell them. How did they use them?

With little to no history on this truck, and no Certification label, the curiosity got the best of me and I decided to spring for a Marti report. It's an extravagant purchase for a truck in this condition, but I was curious nonetheless. Ordered in June of '79, and built in September '79, it's a fairly early build for the Canadian plant. No idea how many F-series they were building per day...be curious to know that. I'm sure Marti could tell me, for a cost.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n77989/80F150_Marti.jpg

It looks like you have part of the cert label, just need tire / wheel size & think weight.

Dave ----

With little to no history on this truck, and no Certification label, the curiosity got the best of me and I decided to spring for a Marti report. It's an extravagant purchase for a truck in this condition, but I was curious nonetheless. Ordered in June of '79, and built in September '79, it's a fairly early build for the Canadian plant. No idea how many F-series they were building per day...be curious to know that. I'm sure Marti could tell me, for a cost.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n77989/80F150_Marti.jpg

It looks like you have part of the cert label, just need tire / wheel size & think weight.

Dave ----