Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

Just pull the engine, Cory... you can get the cam out with it in the truck but why do all of that bending over? These are light engines with lots of room to get them in and out. I would pull it and at least put in new bearings and rings and hone the bores. These are zero balance engines and don’t tend to get a lot of bottom end wear. It is usually pretty easy to freshen them up. It’s the valve train that likes to wear out. The master kits are pretty reasonable. I’d get the head done at a shop so they can make sure it’s flat and do the rest at home if the bottom end seems decent.

Jon, that is probably a really good idea! I may do that yet, it's just that I'm in a bit of a time (and space) crunch so I'm trying to get the the thing mostly assembled so that it can be moved around more or less in one piece. I can pull the engine relatively easy at a later date if need be.

Where is a good place to order a rebuild kit from? RockAuto or other?

Also, I believe the engine is an '85 or an '86...not 100% sure. I've seen some parts kits advertised as fitting 1968-1985? Is there something different about an '86 over an '85? Just curious if I am shopping for parts, etc.

Thanks.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just pull the engine, Cory... you can get the cam out with it in the truck but why do all of that bending over? These are light engines with lots of room to get them in and out. I would pull it and at least put in new bearings and rings and hone the bores. These are zero balance engines and don’t tend to get a lot of bottom end wear. It is usually pretty easy to freshen them up. It’s the valve train that likes to wear out. The master kits are pretty reasonable. I’d get the head done at a shop so they can make sure it’s flat and do the rest at home if the bottom end seems decent.

Jon, that is probably a really good idea! I may do that yet, it's just that I'm in a bit of a time (and space) crunch so I'm trying to get the the thing mostly assembled so that it can be moved around more or less in one piece. I can pull the engine relatively easy at a later date if need be.

Where is a good place to order a rebuild kit from? RockAuto or other?

Also, I believe the engine is an '85 or an '86...not 100% sure. I've seen some parts kits advertised as fitting 1968-1985? Is there something different about an '86 over an '85? Just curious if I am shopping for parts, etc.

Thanks.

At one point in time, the cam shaft bearings size was changed.

Edit: David beat me and to it 😎👍

Great minds working together! :nabble_anim_claps:

Thanks Guys,

I just checked and I do indeed have the later E1TE-6015 AA block, so that pretty much confirms that this engine is a 1986 then. I knew it was more than likely an 85-86 based on the valve cover and pushrod cover. Good to know. Perhaps a very late 1985, but for all intents and purposes I will call it a 1986 when ordering any parts for it.

So the camshafts stayed the same, it's just that the front and rear camshaft bearings changed. Very interesting.

Thanks Gents

Thanks Guys,

I just checked and I do indeed have the later E1TE-6015 AA block, so that pretty much confirms that this engine is a 1986 then. I knew it was more than likely an 85-86 based on the valve cover and pushrod cover. Good to know. Perhaps a very late 1985, but for all intents and purposes I will call it a 1986 when ordering any parts for it.

So the camshafts stayed the same, it's just that the front and rear camshaft bearings changed. Very interesting.

Thanks Gents

With little to no history on this truck, and no Certification label, the curiosity got the best of me and I decided to spring for a Marti report. It's an extravagant purchase for a truck in this condition, but I was curious nonetheless. Ordered in June of '79, and built in September '79, it's a fairly early build for the Canadian plant. No idea how many F-series they were building per day...be curious to know that. I'm sure Marti could tell me, for a cost.

80F150_Marti.thumb.jpg.49f7834235266ac8c80751546025717d.jpg

With little to no history on this truck, and no Certification label, the curiosity got the best of me and I decided to spring for a Marti report. It's an extravagant purchase for a truck in this condition, but I was curious nonetheless. Ordered in June of '79, and built in September '79, it's a fairly early build for the Canadian plant. No idea how many F-series they were building per day...be curious to know that. I'm sure Marti could tell me, for a cost.

That's all real interesting Cory.

I wonder when the truck plant took vacation and switched over tooling for the 1980 models?

Though I'm sure there's some teething, you could divide by that 650 and come to an approximation.