Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! That’s a lot of time consuming work!

Took care of the core support mounts this morning (it is Canadian Thanksgiving today so long weekend!).

81923BB3-FF88-41D9-BFEC-FEBECDC4FA0C.jpeg.34ddedc940f2bd249a72b9e01c62ff5e.jpeg

E5C6C63C-EFF6-467F-A62B-505EB8144FED.jpeg.c7137a544928568c49947714bcf70a10.jpeg

ED8E1626-FCC3-4A77-BC63-EB552C04D47C.jpeg.d6d9f7bb200558c52109a62dd0015253.jpeg

This is not glamorous work lol, and nobody will see it when it is done. I will be cleaning up the rest of the rusty frame when time allows, but trying to focus on the areas that need repair first.

Took care of the core support mounts this morning (it is Canadian Thanksgiving today so long weekend!).

This is not glamorous work lol, and nobody will see it when it is done. I will be cleaning up the rest of the rusty frame when time allows, but trying to focus on the areas that need repair first.

Oh, and to explain I welded in a 1/8” plate on the underside and then filled in the open area on the top with 16ga steel. Welded, ground smooth, and threw some paint on it so it wouldn’t flash rust. Strong as new.

Oh, and to explain I welded in a 1/8” plate on the underside and then filled in the open area on the top with 16ga steel. Welded, ground smooth, and threw some paint on it so it wouldn’t flash rust. Strong as new.

So I finally dug the old 300/6 out today and loaded it up on the engine stand. This thing hasn't run in years...and I have no idea how many years. The truck had been sitting somewhere between 3-5 or 6 years, and it wasn't running when he bought it. I'm guessing it has been a decade or more, but who knows. I started scraping the rust and dirt and grime off it, and will yank the manifolds tomorrow (fingers crossed for no broken bolts...ugh).

IMG_2891.jpg.f2fb90d06752e22f6af200c6b1a19b0b.jpg

IMG_2890.jpg.94f71de5f78aa82020d05bee5d2ea076.jpg

IMG_2892.jpg.f40640501a66e88939b0d8d03e3c60f3.jpg

Before bolting it to the trans and mounting it all back in the truck, I'm going to change the oil pan gasket and rear main seal. I need to order a pushrod cover gasket as well as intake & exhaust manifold gaskets, carb gasket, etc. I have a new pilot bearing for the manual trans (engine was on an auto trans), as well as a new flywheel.

Question for you guys:

Best way to pull the rear main seal? Put screws in it? Is that how you guys do it?

Best way to pull the rear main seal? Put screws in it? Is that how you guys do it?

Made my own tool only took a min to make an one to pull, Did dill a small hole to make it easier.

Just Scrap steel :nabble_smiley_cool:

Cory, why you pulling the manifolds?

Swapping on EFI exh manifolds?

When you have them off might want to check or even change out the freeze plugs on the block.

After I got the EFI manifolds on mine I found anti freeze on the floor and in checking it was 1 of the plugs.

In changing them found others that were close to leaking.

Dave ----

Cory, why you pulling the manifolds?

Swapping on EFI exh manifolds?

When you have them off might want to check or even change out the freeze plugs on the block.

After I got the EFI manifolds on mine I found anti freeze on the floor and in checking it was 1 of the plugs.

In changing them found others that were close to leaking.

Dave ----

Dave,

I meant to order a set of core plugs for it and was planning on changing them. One of the plugs on the back of the block looked really rusty but when I hit it with a wire brush on the drill it cleaned up nicely. The plugs behind the exhaust manifold look pretty rusty, so I probably should change them out. Good call.

Dave,

I meant to order a set of core plugs for it and was planning on changing them. One of the plugs on the back of the block looked really rusty but when I hit it with a wire brush on the drill it cleaned up nicely. The plugs behind the exhaust manifold look pretty rusty, so I probably should change them out. Good call.

I've read about people using grease, bread, wet newspaper, etc to drive the bearing out. Didn't work for me. Instead, I used a very small gear puller with the legs turned around.