Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

I don't know if I mentioned it previously or not, but this 1980 F150 does not have a certification label, and I was curious what the paint codes were that were on it. It was painted at some point, so I didn't even know if they were original colors or not. The reason it is/was important to me is that I don't plan on painting the truck right away, and maybe never...but I did want to touch it up and paint parts/sections of it....so I did need the actual codes.

This Bronco popped up for sale on Facebook this morning, also an early 1980 model, and even though it's badly faded, it sure looks like it was the same colors...

Luckily they posted a picture of the certification label...god love them! I love it when sellers do that.

Anyway, simple minds...simple pleasures, but I'll be trying the 3D and 3B paints to see how they match up.

PS: Not sure if any of you Facebookers saw the ad...the boys were arguing endlessly over the selling price, but for anybody that cared about the small details...the truck has a couple neat factory features. H22 Axle code (Front and rear factory limited slip diffs), factory fog lights and factory fog light switch in the bezel, etc.

Nice Bronco. And I was tempted. But Matthew 16:23 came to mind and, right then, FB did a refresh and that truck didn't come back up. I took that as a blessing. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Anyway, glad you found your colors!

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Bronco. And I was tempted. But Matthew 16:23 came to mind and, right then, FB did a refresh and that truck didn't come back up. I took that as a blessing. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Anyway, glad you found your colors!

1 Corinthians 10:13

13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

I don't know if I mentioned it previously or not, but this 1980 F150 does not have a certification label, and I was curious what the paint codes were that were on it. It was painted at some point, so I didn't even know if they were original colors or not. The reason it is/was important to me is that I don't plan on painting the truck right away, and maybe never...but I did want to touch it up and paint parts/sections of it....so I did need the actual codes.

This Bronco popped up for sale on Facebook this morning, also an early 1980 model, and even though it's badly faded, it sure looks like it was the same colors...

Luckily they posted a picture of the certification label...god love them! I love it when sellers do that.

Anyway, simple minds...simple pleasures, but I'll be trying the 3D and 3B paints to see how they match up.

PS: Not sure if any of you Facebookers saw the ad...the boys were arguing endlessly over the selling price, but for anybody that cared about the small details...the truck has a couple neat factory features. H22 Axle code (Front and rear factory limited slip diffs), factory fog lights and factory fog light switch in the bezel, etc.

You should be able to find a buck tag on the radiator support, firewall, front of the bed, or something...

Maybe this will help give you an idea, this is from my 1980 color options brochure, the version on the site here is a little too dark.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n74786/Screenshot_20200916-173251_Gallery.jpg

Cool! Thanks Shaun. Saved in my "Color" file with the 1980 F150 project folder...lol.

You should be able to find a buck tag on the radiator support, firewall, front of the bed, or something...

Yes, good point...I must check if it is there. I've only seen them at the top of the firewall and the fronts of the beds, but the front of the bed is long gone from this truck...so I'll check the firewall and see if it shows 3D and 3B...

Yes, good point...I must check if it is there. I've only seen them at the top of the firewall and the fronts of the beds, but the front of the bed is long gone from this truck...so I'll check the firewall and see if it shows 3D and 3B...

I found this online, maybe it will help.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=Ford

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't updated the old '80 on a '95 Flareside project in a while, but I have been working on it almost every weekend....grinding, needle scaling, rust treating, and welding. As of today, I have the middle of the frame all fixed up. I welded in three patches today, installed the cab rear crossmember, and the 300/6 engine perches. I know it doesn't look like much yet, but it's a long way from where it was. I have some new cab and core support mount parts on the way from LMC, and I just received a bunch of stuff from RockAuto (300 flywheel, M5OD slave cylinder, 300 rear main seal, various gaskets, etc). Oh, and I also just received a hydraulic pedal set from Scott, thanks Scott!

IMG_2818.jpg.067e035c0c6f9d1d4c7b512f6195c302.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg.fc4fb89d6521603328a0eeb4ae8f331e.jpg

IMG_2813.jpg.90f8964206ea144ac0d6b81d96da48d8.jpg

IMG_2821.jpg.fa05d9e7e10d8fa2f704c0eeade6119e.jpg

Oh, and the crusty old 1980 cab and front clip collecting dust in the corner of the warehouse.

IMG_2819.thumb.jpg.9edee05da8d9327152cb3d27bffd0576.jpg

So the plan is to keep working on the frame until the new cab mount cushions arrive from LMC. I still need to rehab the core support brackets on the frame (they are welded to the frame on the '95, not riveted like the Bullnoses), and graft on the '86 frame horns I have so that the Bullnose front bumper can be installed.

The good news is that as of today, I can now set the cab on the frame. I almost said "back on the frame", but it never was on this frame...so I can't say that. Still need new cab mount cushions, but they are on the way.

I need to start getting the old 300/6 cleaned up. Rear main seal, oil pan gasket, etc. I also have a new trans mount, and a front input seal for the M5OD. So, I'll drop the engine and trans in there all in one shot, and then set the cab on afterwards. This should all happen this month...so fingers crossed.

I still need to work on the rear of the frame, but that will come after. I have new spring hangers, shackles, leaf eyelet bushings, etc.

That's it for new news. It's a long and dirty project...

I haven't updated the old '80 on a '95 Flareside project in a while, but I have been working on it almost every weekend....grinding, needle scaling, rust treating, and welding. As of today, I have the middle of the frame all fixed up. I welded in three patches today, installed the cab rear crossmember, and the 300/6 engine perches. I know it doesn't look like much yet, but it's a long way from where it was. I have some new cab and core support mount parts on the way from LMC, and I just received a bunch of stuff from RockAuto (300 flywheel, M5OD slave cylinder, 300 rear main seal, various gaskets, etc). Oh, and I also just received a hydraulic pedal set from Scott, thanks Scott!

Oh, and the crusty old 1980 cab and front clip collecting dust in the corner of the warehouse.

So the plan is to keep working on the frame until the new cab mount cushions arrive from LMC. I still need to rehab the core support brackets on the frame (they are welded to the frame on the '95, not riveted like the Bullnoses), and graft on the '86 frame horns I have so that the Bullnose front bumper can be installed.

The good news is that as of today, I can now set the cab on the frame. I almost said "back on the frame", but it never was on this frame...so I can't say that. Still need new cab mount cushions, but they are on the way.

I need to start getting the old 300/6 cleaned up. Rear main seal, oil pan gasket, etc. I also have a new trans mount, and a front input seal for the M5OD. So, I'll drop the engine and trans in there all in one shot, and then set the cab on afterwards. This should all happen this month...so fingers crossed.

I still need to work on the rear of the frame, but that will come after. I have new spring hangers, shackles, leaf eyelet bushings, etc.

That's it for new news. It's a long and dirty project...

That looks like a LOT of work to me! Been there, sorta done that, and that is work. Well done!