Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

Sorry, I should have said this is a suggestion for this winter when you are working in the shop. You have air there, right?

Oh yes sir, lots of air, and I think three air chisels. I have a lot of them to do, so I'll try the chisels and see how that works. Thanks for the tip Gary.

I'll admit, I was skeptical. But it worked out well.

I think Steve said "Just pop the heads off." But he's BIG, although he said on Sunday that he's 50 lbs less big, so holding that bucking air chisel was probably easier for him than me. But once I figured out how to hold the chisel to have it only work on the rivet and not the frame it did work pretty well.

I think I still had to drill the rivets a bit to release the tension so I could drive them out, but at that point there was a lot less drilling to be done. And when I was pulling all those rivets for the spring perches it made a big difference.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll admit, I was skeptical. But it worked out well.

I think Steve said "Just pop the heads off." But he's BIG, although he said on Sunday that he's 50 lbs less big, so holding that bucking air chisel was probably easier for him than me. But once I figured out how to hold the chisel to have it only work on the rivet and not the frame it did work pretty well.

I think I still had to drill the rivets a bit to release the tension so I could drive them out, but at that point there was a lot less drilling to be done. And when I was pulling all those rivets for the spring perches it made a big difference.

You could drill the head just a bit before hitting it with the air chisel, it’ll relieve that area too.

You could drill the head just a bit before hitting it with the air chisel, it’ll relieve that area too.

I may try that. I have A LOT of them to drill in the near future, so if there's anything that helps I'll try it! I think I have about 50 of them to remove...lol.

I may try that. I have A LOT of them to drill in the near future, so if there's anything that helps I'll try it! I think I have about 50 of them to remove...lol.

You can use a cutting torch or plasma at your job shop can't you Cory?

There are guys around that go down south and buy this stuff. A truck sitting in a southern junkyard, even if it has been picked clean to the bone still has a good frame;). Most of the time they're after truck beds, doors, and gas tanks, but the same guys will haul a whole frame back if they get one cheap enough.

It's really weird when us southern folk see a rusty frame on a truck, but it generally tells us not much will be of use or worth touching on that truck. However, with the constant influx of people moving to the south from out west and up north, rusty vehicles are starting to become much more common here.

There are guys around that go down south and buy this stuff. A truck sitting in a southern junkyard, even if it has been picked clean to the bone still has a good frame;). Most of the time they're after truck beds, doors, and gas tanks, but the same guys will haul a whole frame back if they get one cheap enough.

It's really weird when us southern folk see a rusty frame on a truck, but it generally tells us not much will be of use or worth touching on that truck. However, with the constant influx of people moving to the south from out west and up north, rusty vehicles are starting to become much more common here.

Shaun,

You're in the smaller end of the funnel!!

I definitely have southern envy when it comes to automotive steel. Back in about 2006, I bought a white 1997 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 in Florida, and I was so amazed at the condition of the frame...it was still black, with white stickers on it, and on the coil springs, etc. It was so minty mint I could just sit and look at it for days. The paint was chalky and flat, but I was able to buff it all out shiny again. Southern envy...lol. True story.

Shaun,

You're in the smaller end of the funnel!!

I definitely have southern envy when it comes to automotive steel. Back in about 2006, I bought a white 1997 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 in Florida, and I was so amazed at the condition of the frame...it was still black, with white stickers on it, and on the coil springs, etc. It was so minty mint I could just sit and look at it for days. The paint was chalky and flat, but I was able to buff it all out shiny again. Southern envy...lol. True story.

With exception to the F150 which was from California, the other five trucks I've owned have all been from Florida. I guess I'm fortunate for that as I've rarely had to fight rusty hardware. The worst things I usually fight are bolts with Loctite from the factory.

With exception to the F150 which was from California, the other five trucks I've owned have all been from Florida. I guess I'm fortunate for that as I've rarely had to fight rusty hardware. The worst things I usually fight are bolts with Loctite from the factory.

Loctite keeps the rust out.

It's probably the best thing ever! :nabble_smiley_good:

Loctite keeps the rust out.

It's probably the best thing ever! :nabble_smiley_good:

They sure used plenty of it on the cab mount bolts of my Ranger. I had to heat them up from below and then zip them out with my impact. They weren't gonna come out any other way. :nabble_anim_crazy: