Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

Cory, master of flare sides or is that hoarder of flare side parts :nabble_anim_blbl:

I did not know where to put this but it may help you and others with broken fender bolts.

It is a link to a 77 flare but I don't see why it could not be used on ours.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1635593-77-f-100-flareside-bed-maintenance-repair.html

The guys got skills to do what he did for the jig for the bolts and the patch panels.

Dave ----

Dave,

That was a great read, thanks for posting. I'm really fascinated with these beds.I'll be rebuilding the bed for this 1980 Flareside project, but that won't be until the spring (at the earliest!).

I'm planning to actually rebuild the bed sides. Bit of a long story, but the bed sides that came loose with this truck are homemade parts. I didn't fully realize until I got them home and examined them further, but it is what it is.

Who ever made them actually did a pretty good job on the tops of the sides, and they re-used the fender humps from an old set of bed sides. I'm planning on brand new sides...almost complete, and I'll just graft the tops on them. I even bought a new set of fender humps used. They're not identical to the originals, but fairly close. Most would never notice the difference imho.

I'm also thinking about going with the wood composite...or fake plastic wood. I saw an old truck with it last week and I thought it looked great.

Anyway, time will tell. That stuff is still a ways away. I'm back to working on the frame this weekend. I still have several weeks to go on it, but as soon as I'm done welding it's getting painted asap and the cab will be dropped back on pronto. Once the cab is back on it, it will start to feel like a truck again...I hope...lol.

Cory - When you get to looking at materials for the bed you might think about the weight. My brother built a bench for our mother and used Trex. When he got done it took two people to pick it up. :nabble_smiley_scared:

Cory - When you get to looking at materials for the bed you might think about the weight. My brother built a bench for our mother and used Trex. When he got done it took two people to pick it up. :nabble_smiley_scared:

I loved the little jig he made for the broken fender bolts.

Once the cab goes back on the frame and looking more like a truck again gives you good feeling.

Then the nose so it looks like CC truck and then the bed even if no tail gate.

Each one of them steps is what made me feel good.

I know what ever you do or come up with on the bed will look great.

Dave ----

Nothing too exciting to report here, but I'm still been putting a lot of hours into the old 80/95 project! I'm finally finished working on the crossmembers. I went a little patch crazy with them, but I wanted to remove any doubt in my mind, so as they say "grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't!"

I added a 1/8" x 2" flat bar (24" long) across the top of my cab rear crossmember. It probably didn't need it, but I figured that since it's holding up the cab and the gas tank, I'd make sure it's good and strong. After removing all of the rust, the crossmember was a little thinner than it was originally.

IMG_2453.jpg.69fe6cfaed15b7e9eb71c945636f128a.jpg

Had to patch a couple thin spots in the brackets for the 2nd crossmember.

IMG_2454.jpg.486f99d3591f8f4a50ccb06ece6d9a14.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg.4999facf06beea25e3a5e54441b00520.jpg

And here they are after sitting over night with a treatment of rust converter! Nice and black looking.

IMG_2457.jpg.98c4385a60b577fc72348986714955f6.jpg

I have since primed them and will be painting them tomorrow. Along with a bag of grade-8 bolts and nuts, they should be good and strong once re-installed.

I yanked the 5.0L engine out of the frame yesterday. What a lump. I've listed it for sale. I'd like to keep it, and I don't mind if I do. However I don't have much storage space, and I could put the money towards other things that I need.

IMG_2460.jpg.cf58062a73a32b2c837d99a25830f34a.jpg

I started this afternoon rebuilding the RH engine mount bracket for the 300. It is really rusted out...and it's odd too, because the driver's side is in great condition. Anyway, I ran out of zip cut disks and Mrs. Rembrant wanted to go out for dinner, so that was the end of it.

IMG_2472.jpg.de48ba283c50ae70a05aadc54c928ed2.jpg

I also removed the hitch from the 1995 chassis, cleaned it up and splashed some paint on it to freshen it up. I was going to keep this also, but listed it for sale to put the money towards parts that I need way more than a hitch. It went pretty quick...a guy is coming to pick it up tomorrow.

IMG_2467.jpg.7f035ea45e101472fb85a1eac1f6b841.jpg

In any case, I'm in good shape right now. I have a lot A LOT of work to do yet, but some big headaches are over with now, and I can carry on with the needle scaler and cup wheel;). Hoping to have the frame all painted and cleaned up by the end of Sept so I can set the cab on it.

So I need to order up some rubber cab mounts and floor pan repair panels, as well as a set of rear leaf rear hangers and shackles.

Nothing too exciting to report here, but I'm still been putting a lot of hours into the old 80/95 project! I'm finally finished working on the crossmembers. I went a little patch crazy with them, but I wanted to remove any doubt in my mind, so as they say "grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't!"

I added a 1/8" x 2" flat bar (24" long) across the top of my cab rear crossmember. It probably didn't need it, but I figured that since it's holding up the cab and the gas tank, I'd make sure it's good and strong. After removing all of the rust, the crossmember was a little thinner than it was originally.

And here they are after sitting over night with a treatment of rust converter! Nice and black looking.

I have since primed them and will be painting them tomorrow. Along with a bag of grade-8 bolts and nuts, they should be good and strong once re-installed.

I yanked the 5.0L engine out of the frame yesterday. What a lump. I've listed it for sale. I'd like to keep it, and I don't mind if I do. However I don't have much storage space, and I could put the money towards other things that I need.

I started this afternoon rebuilding the RH engine mount bracket for the 300. It is really rusted out...and it's odd too, because the driver's side is in great condition. Anyway, I ran out of zip cut disks and Mrs. Rembrant wanted to go out for dinner, so that was the end of it.

I also removed the hitch from the 1995 chassis, cleaned it up and splashed some paint on it to freshen it up. I was going to keep this also, but listed it for sale to put the money towards parts that I need way more than a hitch. It went pretty quick...a guy is coming to pick it up tomorrow.

In any case, I'm in good shape right now. I have a lot A LOT of work to do yet, but some big headaches are over with now, and I can carry on with the needle scaler and cup wheel;). Hoping to have the frame all painted and cleaned up by the end of Sept so I can set the cab on it.

So I need to order up some rubber cab mounts and floor pan repair panels, as well as a set of rear leaf rear hangers and shackles.

Looking good Cory! :nabble_anim_claps:

You're not concerned about water getting in between the 2" strap and the crossmember?

(I have no idea)

It looks like you had another beautiful day in Nove Scotia! :nabble_smiley_cool:

That's a LOT of GOOD work! Well done, Cory! :nabble_anim_claps:

And the reinforcements look substantial. :nabble_smiley_good:

You're not concerned about water getting in between the 2" strap and the crossmember?

(I have no idea)

I’m not concerned about it, no. I’m going to be undercoating the frame on this truck so it will creep in between the strap and the crossmember. That’s one of reasons I left lots of gaps between welds and on the ends. It’s probably not 100% ideal, but it’ll be good enough for this old truck.

(I have no idea)

I’m not concerned about it, no. I’m going to be undercoating the frame on this truck so it will creep in between the strap and the crossmember. That’s one of reasons I left lots of gaps between welds and on the ends. It’s probably not 100% ideal, but it’ll be good enough for this old truck.

Well, you're definitely all in on this old truck!

If the frame turns out as well as that hitch, it's an amazing transformation. :nabble_smiley_good:

Cory, just a heads up, My dad used to say that the difference between a good weld and a bad weld is about ten minutes of grinding.