Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

Funny how things go. I had been looking for a couple years for a Bullnose 4x4 Flareside project truck, and could never find anything. So I buy this rust bucket 1980, and then go to all the work of stripping a 1995 4x4 for a donor, and what pops up 2 days ago locally...

118620630_10157266727706078_3262394920135611284_o.jpg.0822302d2f575fe19b6f12d91645d43d.jpg

It's a 1986 with a 300 and 4spd. Currently not running, as you can probably tell by looking at it. No papers either. It's a little over an hour away. I REALLY don't need it...lol, but I'm stopping to look at it anyway.

The no papers thing can be an issue around here...so it might end up being a parts truck.

Funny how things go. I had been looking for a couple years for a Bullnose 4x4 Flareside project truck, and could never find anything. So I buy this rust bucket 1980, and then go to all the work of stripping a 1995 4x4 for a donor, and what pops up 2 days ago locally...

It's a 1986 with a 300 and 4spd. Currently not running, as you can probably tell by looking at it. No papers either. It's a little over an hour away. I REALLY don't need it...lol, but I'm stopping to look at it anyway.

The no papers thing can be an issue around here...so it might end up being a parts truck.

That visor is SO period! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

That's usually the way.

Turn every stone and come up empty handed.

Make a stretch, to make it happen, and it seems they pop up everywhere like toadstools!

The body lift is so period too...lol.

I swear to god seeing this for sale raised my blood pressure for the day. I even had an ad placed online looking for one of these trucks. Seriously. Oh well, I have to pass by fairly close tomorrow anyway, so I'm going to swing by and see it.

Yep, it happens that way frequently. But, since there is no title then it should go cheaply. And you can never have too many parts. As an example, today I realized that Big Blue's transfer case shifter was wonky. Turned out it was missing two bushings - which I happened to have in another shifter. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I swear to god seeing this for sale raised my blood pressure for the day. I even had an ad placed online looking for one of these trucks. Seriously. Oh well, I have to pass by fairly close tomorrow anyway, so I'm going to swing by and see it.

"Bring a Trailer".... :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

You're Canadian.

How many hockey pucks did it take to get there? :nabble_anim_confused:

You're Canadian.

How many hockey pucks did it take to get there? :nabble_anim_confused:

Haha don’t even joke, hockey puck body lifts was a thing one time and maybe still is lol I dunno.

Cory, master of flare sides or is that hoarder of flare side parts :nabble_anim_blbl:

I did not know where to put this but it may help you and others with broken fender bolts.

It is a link to a 77 flare but I don't see why it could not be used on ours.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1635593-77-f-100-flareside-bed-maintenance-repair.html

The guys got skills to do what he did for the jig for the bolts and the patch panels.

Dave ----

Cory, master of flare sides or is that hoarder of flare side parts :nabble_anim_blbl:

I did not know where to put this but it may help you and others with broken fender bolts.

It is a link to a 77 flare but I don't see why it could not be used on ours.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1635593-77-f-100-flareside-bed-maintenance-repair.html

The guys got skills to do what he did for the jig for the bolts and the patch panels.

Dave ----

Dave,

That was a great read, thanks for posting. I'm really fascinated with these beds.I'll be rebuilding the bed for this 1980 Flareside project, but that won't be until the spring (at the earliest!).

I'm planning to actually rebuild the bed sides. Bit of a long story, but the bed sides that came loose with this truck are homemade parts. I didn't fully realize until I got them home and examined them further, but it is what it is.

IMG_1627.jpg.1f410ba1ef074febf5fbda4e712c9f38.jpg

Who ever made them actually did a pretty good job on the tops of the sides, and they re-used the fender humps from an old set of bed sides. I'm planning on brand new sides...almost complete, and I'll just graft the tops on them. I even bought a new set of fender humps used. They're not identical to the originals, but fairly close. Most would never notice the difference imho.

I'm also thinking about going with the wood composite...or fake plastic wood. I saw an old truck with it last week and I thought it looked great.

Anyway, time will tell. That stuff is still a ways away. I'm back to working on the frame this weekend. I still have several weeks to go on it, but as soon as I'm done welding it's getting painted asap and the cab will be dropped back on pronto. Once the cab is back on it, it will start to feel like a truck again...I hope...lol.