Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

How bad are the front rails bent and where?

If I can get my hands on a couple crossmembers, I'll figure out a way to fix those horns...lol.

The engine crossmember is quite solid, so you can use it to pull from. You could pull the driver's side horn back that way. But that won't align it vertically.

However, it'll require pushing the passenger's side if you use the engine crossmember, so that would take a hydraulic ram or a high-lift jack.

The engine crossmember is quite solid, so you can use it to pull from. You could pull the driver's side horn back that way. But that won't align it vertically.

However, it'll require pushing the passenger's side if you use the engine crossmember, so that would take a hydraulic ram or a high-lift jack.

I cant remember if the frame is straight on the sides from the cross member forward or not?

I think it was so a straight edge will help to get it straight front to back.

Work 1 side at a time. Use the fork lift and say a 4x4 between the lift & frame. Lift would be off to the side where the front axle is. Then a come-a-long on the front of the horn to the side of the lift.

Pull a little and then check the top & bottom of rail to see if they are bent up or down.

In the picture it looks like the right top of the rail is bent down. If so as you pull hammer it back up along with the bottom part of the rail. Pull a little more and hammer and using the straight edge on the outside of rail see if it is straight. You will need to pull it a little farther than flat as it will spring back.

Do the same on the left side rail till it is straight.

The only thing like you pointed out is that crack / weld, was it done before or as part of the bending as that could make it harder to pull back into place.

You can also use that front bolt in cross member to make sure both rails are parallel to each other same with the bumper.

As for up & down it depends on just how much if it off? I would say anything 1/2" or less I would not worry as the radiator support can be shimmed and I think there is enough adjustment in the bumper to take that up.

With out seeing it in person and what tools you have on hand like the fork lift, some wood and maybe a ratchet straps might work to get it back in place?

The big thing is as long as the frame is bent out front you can fix it with tools on hand but back farther can be a bear.

If you can get frame dimensions for measuring would also help to make sure the frame is true all the way back.

Dave ----

I cant remember if the frame is straight on the sides from the cross member forward or not?

I think it was so a straight edge will help to get it straight front to back.

Work 1 side at a time. Use the fork lift and say a 4x4 between the lift & frame. Lift would be off to the side where the front axle is. Then a come-a-long on the front of the horn to the side of the lift.

Pull a little and then check the top & bottom of rail to see if they are bent up or down.

In the picture it looks like the right top of the rail is bent down. If so as you pull hammer it back up along with the bottom part of the rail. Pull a little more and hammer and using the straight edge on the outside of rail see if it is straight. You will need to pull it a little farther than flat as it will spring back.

Do the same on the left side rail till it is straight.

The only thing like you pointed out is that crack / weld, was it done before or as part of the bending as that could make it harder to pull back into place.

You can also use that front bolt in cross member to make sure both rails are parallel to each other same with the bumper.

As for up & down it depends on just how much if it off? I would say anything 1/2" or less I would not worry as the radiator support can be shimmed and I think there is enough adjustment in the bumper to take that up.

With out seeing it in person and what tools you have on hand like the fork lift, some wood and maybe a ratchet straps might work to get it back in place?

The big thing is as long as the frame is bent out front you can fix it with tools on hand but back farther can be a bear.

If you can get frame dimensions for measuring would also help to make sure the frame is true all the way back.

Dave ----

OK gentlemen,

Change of course here. The 1980 frame is toast. The more I worked on it and took things apart, it just kept getting worse and worse...and I actually have a high tolerance for running rusty junk...lol. Anyway, I found a couple more bad spots...they weren't all visible until more cleaning. (By the way, I NEED to buy a needle scaler...). The front left corner wasn't just cracked...it was basically broken, and had been patched under the steering box previously. Anyway, no big deal...I bought the truck mainly for the Flareside parts anyway, and the body parts are worth saving/re-using.

So, plan B...stay tuned...I have something in the works as a donor frame/chassis for this '80 Flareside.

OK gentlemen,

Change of course here. The 1980 frame is toast. The more I worked on it and took things apart, it just kept getting worse and worse...and I actually have a high tolerance for running rusty junk...lol. Anyway, I found a couple more bad spots...they weren't all visible until more cleaning. (By the way, I NEED to buy a needle scaler...). The front left corner wasn't just cracked...it was basically broken, and had been patched under the steering box previously. Anyway, no big deal...I bought the truck mainly for the Flareside parts anyway, and the body parts are worth saving/re-using.

So, plan B...stay tuned...I have something in the works as a donor frame/chassis for this '80 Flareside.

I love it when a plan comes together, even when it is Plan B. (Or, in my case, Plan Z.) So, I'll await the coming announcement.......

So, I'll await the coming announcement.......

So the announcement is that I made a deal on a 1995 F150 swb 4x4 that will be 'blended' together with the 1980 Flareside project.:nabble_smiley_grin:.

This thing is a bit rough on it's own, and it's been sitting for a while, but it has good bones which is what I needed...and it's running/driving...so that's a big advantage. A couple key things made me jump on this truck. It is a factory swb 4x4 with 5.0L / 5spd and 3.55 geared diffs. Has quad shock front end and both front and rear factory swaybars and a trailer hitch. I spent 20 minutes crawling under the thing checking out the frame and all crossmembers, and while it is rusty (as they all are around here) it appears to be solid. The cab is not bad, but the front fenders and quarter panels are trash. I should have it by Friday, if not early next week. I didn't look all that close under the hood...but the good news about the 5.0L in 1995 is that is definitely a roller engine, and I believe came with the HO/351 firing order? That bad is that I believe the 5.0L was still speed density EFI in 1995 when it was mated to a 5spd (And MAF/Sefi when mated to the auto?, and they were all MAF in 1996?).

So my tentative plan is to Bullnose swap the front clip since I now have everything to do it, and swap the 1995 Styleside bed for the 1980 Flareside bed. This won't be happening overnight of course...this might take me 2 years...lol, but this is the plan as of today (ask me again tomorrow). Later on, I would swap the Bullnose cab on there and the 300/6 DSII, etc. I know the front end of the frame on the '95 is different, but it's very easy to deal with.

But back to the 1980 Bullnose...

I finished stripping all of the good stuff off the old frame this morning, including the SBF engine perches (people do seem to look for those from time to time) and the TTB beams, rear leaf springs, etc. I cut the frame in two and hauled it down the hill for scrap and made a whopping $26 bucks! That 40 year old steel will be repurposed as something useful I'm sure.

I already started cleaning up what good parts I do have, and scrubbed 40 years of grime and overspray off both chrome bumpers (SOS pads). After the dry out again I'll treat the backside with Ospho and I'll power ball some polish on them and see if they shine up a little better.

Anyway, that's where I am as of today (We are on vacation/"staycation" this week).

IMG_2020.jpg.fb188667676de107a3cee519575f9c39.jpg

So the announcement is that I made a deal on a 1995 F150 swb 4x4 that will be 'blended' together with the 1980 Flareside project.:nabble_smiley_grin:.

This thing is a bit rough on it's own, and it's been sitting for a while, but it has good bones which is what I needed...and it's running/driving...so that's a big advantage. A couple key things made me jump on this truck. It is a factory swb 4x4 with 5.0L / 5spd and 3.55 geared diffs. Has quad shock front end and both front and rear factory swaybars and a trailer hitch. I spent 20 minutes crawling under the thing checking out the frame and all crossmembers, and while it is rusty (as they all are around here) it appears to be solid. The cab is not bad, but the front fenders and quarter panels are trash. I should have it by Friday, if not early next week. I didn't look all that close under the hood...but the good news about the 5.0L in 1995 is that is definitely a roller engine, and I believe came with the HO/351 firing order? That bad is that I believe the 5.0L was still speed density EFI in 1995 when it was mated to a 5spd (And MAF/Sefi when mated to the auto?, and they were all MAF in 1996?).

So my tentative plan is to Bullnose swap the front clip since I now have everything to do it, and swap the 1995 Styleside bed for the 1980 Flareside bed. This won't be happening overnight of course...this might take me 2 years...lol, but this is the plan as of today (ask me again tomorrow). Later on, I would swap the Bullnose cab on there and the 300/6 DSII, etc. I know the front end of the frame on the '95 is different, but it's very easy to deal with.

I finished stripping all of the good stuff off the old frame this morning, including the SBF engine perches (people do seem to look for those from time to time) and the TTB beams, rear leaf springs, etc. I cut the frame in two and hauled it down the hill for scrap and made a whopping $26 bucks! That 40 year old steel will be repurposed as something useful I'm sure.

I already started cleaning up what good parts I do have, and scrubbed 40 years of grime and overspray off both chrome bumpers (SOS pads). After the dry out again I'll treat the backside with Ospho and I'll power ball some polish on them and see if they shine up a little better.

Anyway, that's where I am as of today (We are on vacation/"staycation" this week).

Staycation?

I thought you bought the RV for this?

You're going to need to do something about a speedo drive, unless you swap the transfer case.

Maybe you know someone who has too many Ford's? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Put a cam and a carb on that engine and beat it like a redheaded stepchild.

Staycation?

You're going to need to do something about a speedo drive, unless you swap the transfer case.

LOL...ya...

So we did go away in the RV this past weekend and Mrs. Rembrant ended up getting ill, so we cancelled a trip to Cape Breton (Supposed to be there right now, actually). She blamed it on heat stroke, but I blame it on having too many beer (and then eating things that are usually off limits under normal judgement...lol).

Roger on the speedo drive. Understood. luckily, the guy I'm buying the truck from also has a couple others there that he is parting out...and 89 and a 90 I believe, both 4x4, so they should have the t-cases I need.

Cool! But why wait to swap the cab? And, why the 300 six if you have a roller 5.0? I'm guessing the 300 is because you already have a 5.0. And I'm going to also guess that the reason for the delay for the cab is that while you have the EFI on the 5.0 you need the wiring in the cab. Right?

Anyway, congrat's! Great project. That's going to keep you busy.

Staycation?

LOL...ya...

So we did go away in the RV this past weekend and Mrs. Rembrant ended up getting ill, so we cancelled a trip to Cape Breton (Supposed to be there right now, actually). She blamed it on heat stroke, but I blame it on having too many beer (and then eating things that are usually off limits under normal judgement...lol).

Roger on the speedo drive. Understood. luckily, the guy I'm buying the truck from also has a couple others there that he is parting out...and 89 and a 90 I believe, both 4x4, so they should have the t-cases I need.

I hope Mrs Rembrandt recovers from her indiscretion soon! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I'd be a huge seafood whore if I were in the Maritimes in summer.

PEI mussels and catch off the dock would be my everyday.