Bullnose Forums

Melted battery terminal??

Hi guys, strange little issue this morning! This is my 1st summer in Richmond and its getting up to 92° right now but I wasn't expecting this... :nabble_anim_confused:

So I was out running a few errands this morning in the truck and on my last couple of stops the truck was kind of starting hard but eventually turning over. Then when I got home I shut her off and I tried her once more while filming, she struggled then sounds like she completely died... Video here...

Now when I turn the key she doesn't make a peep...

The battery when I first turn the key is still reading a hair under 12v which is normally enough to turn her over

IMG_20200717_104617.jpg.19686ef11c8a07594a016e84a41a22ca.jpg

So I'm thinking bad starter or alternator??

But then when I popped the hood I spotted this on the negative terminal and it kinda freaked me out, what should I do here??

IMG_20200717_104843.jpg.ce0d8295bd7a40a69363d089ecaaa79e.jpg

Any advice would be much appreciated guys!

Thanks.

Rob.

You had/have a very bad battery cable connection. It was dropping enough voltage to get so hot it melted. You have to replace either the terminal itself and shorten the wire as it is surely fried right there, or better yet replace the whole cable.

That kind of connection is a problem waiting to happen as things are open to the atmosphere and, therefore, corrosion. I'd get a new cable with all crimped connectors.

You had/have a very bad battery cable connection. It was dropping enough voltage to get so hot it melted. You have to replace either the terminal itself and shorten the wire as it is surely fried right there, or better yet replace the whole cable.

That kind of connection is a problem waiting to happen as things are open to the atmosphere and, therefore, corrosion. I'd get a new cable with all crimped connectors.

"Had" is definitely more accurate Gary! 😂

Thanks for the quick response, should I just go ahead and do the positive cable while I'm at it?

Wouldn't you know the wife's Audi is in the shop getting AC fixed... Looks like I'm bicycling to autozone in the heat... 😁

Thanks for the quick response, should I just go ahead and do the positive cable while I'm at it?

Wouldn't you know the wife's Audi is in the shop getting AC fixed... Looks like I'm bicycling to autozone in the heat... 😁

Depends on what the positive cable looks like. But it never hurts to put new cables on.

And, you may be able to resurrect that connection long enough to drive it to Autozone. If there's enough wire that you can cut off the bad wire and put it under the clamp you can probably drive it.

My suggestion, if you want a quick connection at the battery end is to get a marine adapter end, it clamps around the post then has either a 5/16" or 3/8" stud that you use a lug ended cable on. I did something similar on my project vehicle, a 1986 Chrysler Lebaron convertible that the electrical system is upgraded from the fusible links to maxi fuses in a 1996 Stratus PDC.

My suggestion, if you want a quick connection at the battery end is to get a marine adapter end, it clamps around the post then has either a 5/16" or 3/8" stud that you use a lug ended cable on. I did something similar on my project vehicle, a 1986 Chrysler Lebaron convertible that the electrical system is upgraded from the fusible links to maxi fuses in a 1996 Stratus PDC.

I don't want you to take it wrong, but my advice is to never use the clamp on terminals! Either replace the cable, or use solder on terminals to repair the cables, if they're long enough.

Those things are crap, and I've seen too many failures over the years.

I don't want you to take it wrong, but my advice is to never use the clamp on terminals! Either replace the cable, or use solder on terminals to repair the cables, if they're long enough.

Those things are crap, and I've seen too many failures over the years.

I am with myrl883, those battrey clamps are a piece of junk that are only ment to be used lomg enough to get off the side of the road and buy some new cables when you get home. Do your self a big favor, replace both cables and know in your heart that you are good to go.

I am with myrl883, those battrey clamps are a piece of junk that are only ment to be used lomg enough to get off the side of the road and buy some new cables when you get home. Do your self a big favor, replace both cables and know in your heart that you are good to go.

3rd, 4th, whatever...

Emergency battery terminals are just that.

Handy it the way a doughnut spare is.

Use it to get you home, or to the shop the next day.

They are wholely inadequate as part of a charge and start system (long term)

Why only 2 cables when the truck has 3 cables.

You can not know by looking at them if they are good or bad so just replace them with the largest cables you can get at AZ.

I know by me they have curb side pick up, could order and ride there and not even need to stop LOL.

They do have on line "ship to home" but may take a day or 2.

I ordered the AC parts for my truck and some were shipped next day and others, hoses, 2 days later.

On my projects they get new cables and never had any problems.

Heck my Javelin project I don't tighten 1 down as I pull it when sitting in the garage. I just place it on the battery and the car starts right up.

I did the same to my truck till I got it on the road.

Good cables are a god send!

Dave ----

Why only 2 cables when the truck has 3 cables.

You can not know by looking at them if they are good or bad so just replace them with the largest cables you can get at AZ.

I know by me they have curb side pick up, could order and ride there and not even need to stop LOL.

They do have on line "ship to home" but may take a day or 2.

I ordered the AC parts for my truck and some were shipped next day and others, hoses, 2 days later.

On my projects they get new cables and never had any problems.

Heck my Javelin project I don't tighten 1 down as I pull it when sitting in the garage. I just place it on the battery and the car starts right up.

I did the same to my truck till I got it on the road.

Good cables are a god send!

Dave ----

Good point Dave. When I started the revival of my Bronco this winter, I did in fact change all three because I couldent remember the last time they were changed.