Bullnose Forums

My 86 Bullnose - "Blackie"

Machspeed

Nice! I like it black also.

Mine just needed something as it was to much red

20200101_140241.jpg.d4f51cf1e15b313ea97c9336c71d6ce0.jpg

So I went with white

20200404_155842.jpg.ba5750bc0325ff6254fc96524ad9e4fa.jpg

But just not any white letters ...... reflective as I drive it a lot in the dark

20200404_201034.jpg.5a392c9f0355e5566621a145b8cbf390.jpg

They make a red reflective but I don't know if it would match the red pin stripe?

Dave ----

Fixed latch assembly and repainted my tailgate. Originally, it had white "Ford" lettering which I have thought to go back with. Have even thought about red lettering as I have a red pinstripe running down both sides of my truck. The more I look at it, think I may just leave it as is.

I really like the idea of red.

While you've done an amazing job that I wouldn't even attempt (in black) there's nothing like a Bullnose that REPRESENTS!

I really like the idea of red.

While you've done an amazing job that I wouldn't even attempt (in black) there's nothing like a Bullnose that REPRESENTS!

Thank you, gentlemen! Dave the white lettering on you truck is perfect! Where would one acquire the red reflective letters? May see about a sample.

Thank you, gentlemen! Dave the white lettering on you truck is perfect! Where would one acquire the red reflective letters? May see about a sample.

There are plenty of people with a vinyl cutter and the proper files on eBay or the web, but you'll commonly see them advertised as DORF or such to avoid Ford perusing their IP rights.

My later '87 styleside tailgate letters were under $20 delivered, though retroreflective material will cost more.

IIRC I got mine off Ebay.

I think I did a search for FORD reflective in white.

I cant remember if I seen red reflective now when I was searching for mine as I was only looking for white.

What I was thinking of doing if I could not find any on line was buy a set of normal letters and have a local shop copy them in the reflective.

I checked with 1 local shop to do them from scratch and install. Good thing they could not take the truck in right then, 2 to 3 weeks was the wait time.

I then asked the price and they said just to bring it in the door was $100 then up so I may have been looking at $150 to $200 they said. Again form scratch and they would do everything and I drive out with letters on the gate.

I cant remember what I paid for mine, Maybe $50 shipped? Where I think the others were $30 shipped so the reflective is more money. It also came with papers on how to install them using soapy spray water.

If you cant find it in red but can in white you might want to reach out to them and see if they can do them in red. I would think once they have the pattern all they would need to do is switch the decal color.

Dave ----

• 5 weeks later...

IIRC I got mine off Ebay.

I think I did a search for FORD reflective in white.

I cant remember if I seen red reflective now when I was searching for mine as I was only looking for white.

What I was thinking of doing if I could not find any on line was buy a set of normal letters and have a local shop copy them in the reflective.

I checked with 1 local shop to do them from scratch and install. Good thing they could not take the truck in right then, 2 to 3 weeks was the wait time.

I then asked the price and they said just to bring it in the door was $100 then up so I may have been looking at $150 to $200 they said. Again form scratch and they would do everything and I drive out with letters on the gate.

I cant remember what I paid for mine, Maybe $50 shipped? Where I think the others were $30 shipped so the reflective is more money. It also came with papers on how to install them using soapy spray water.

If you cant find it in red but can in white you might want to reach out to them and see if they can do them in red. I would think once they have the pattern all they would need to do is switch the decal color.

Dave ----

So my latest venture has been the repair of the rusted roof rails on my truck. As I said in another post here, monitor the sealant in your roof rails. If it's cracked, water is seeping in and things are rusting.

As I'm learning autobody and paint in preparation to paint my Mustang, I can say there is a lot of work involved in doing things right, not to mention the learning curve. With rust, old rusted metal needs to be cut out (it's cancer), all rust removed, metal patches made, epoxy primer, filler, sanding, more epoxy primer, 2k primer, sanding, basecoat, and finally clearcoat. All this and I've left out a bunch of other things.

Roof1.thumb.jpg.dc5cfbfb52f3efddf63517c3f8f623e7.jpg

Roof2.thumb.jpg.5a9233a1b01b3e962ef7a1ee32c7f442.jpg

Roof3.thumb.jpg.e7f625885088fbe78d6b90c78b7d9051.jpg

Roof4.thumb.jpg.54ec3afa81f1586f8561651654db0642.jpg

Roof5.thumb.jpg.7a72af856212dc0470d2750e1ffcdf70.jpg

Roof6.thumb.jpg.07db69f01a435b74feea1f315a69da7f.jpg

Roof9.thumb.jpg.2d63a40ebec62469204297092fbe794e.jpg

Roof10.thumb.jpg.f603be41aa8c9bad7bbbdd51d480c542.jpg

Roof11.thumb.jpg.e4951b96d85794248caf9657cf839c52.jpg

Roof12.thumb.jpg.7b500b5cdbaacc778e9f9fece0fd92e9.jpg

There is some trash in the paint, which will always happen, even in a booth. However, in my case I did a stupid, making things worse by loading my gun up with clear, getting in the bed of the truck to spay and realizing I should wipe down before spraying. Too lazy to disconnect my gun and get back out of the truck to get a cloth to wipe down, I just shot the clear. Three coats flowed nicely and with the exception of the the trash looks great. I still have to cut and buff and after, one won't even notice the trash. Still, much learned here!

So my latest venture has been the repair of the rusted roof rails on my truck. As I said in another post here, monitor the sealant in your roof rails. If it's cracked, water is seeping in and things are rusting.

As I'm learning autobody and paint in preparation to paint my Mustang, I can say there is a lot of work involved in doing things right, not to mention the learning curve. With rust, old rusted metal needs to be cut out (it's cancer), all rust removed, metal patches made, epoxy primer, filler, sanding, more epoxy primer, 2k primer, sanding, basecoat, and finally clearcoat. All this and I've left out a bunch of other things.

There is some trash in the paint, which will always happen, even in a booth. However, in my case I did a stupid, making things worse by loading my gun up with clear, getting in the bed of the truck to spay and realizing I should wipe down before spraying. Too lazy to disconnect my gun and get back out of the truck to get a cloth to wipe down, I just shot the clear. Three coats flowed nicely and with the exception of the the trash looks great. I still have to cut and buff and after, one won't even notice the trash. Still, much learned here!

Dust or no, that's an incredible transformation, John! :nabble_anim_claps:

Well done!

Yes, wonderful job! Well done! :nabble_anim_claps: