Bullnose Forums

1984 F-150 302 Windsor 2WD - "Old Red"

JMUBullnose

Big Blue's GVWR is 8600 lbs IIRC. So yes, those are HD springs.

In your case I'd seriously consider air bags rather than heavier springs. You can keep the ride you have and then level things up when you put a load on.

That's not a bad thought Gary - I'll have to run it up the flagpole.

Gas was so cheap on my last trip out with Old Red, I decided to fill up the rear tank for the first time in a while!

...then yesterday afternoon I discovered that I've got a slight fuel leak at the tank switching unit. Looks like the spring clamp that keeps the hose from rear tank on broke, so it's just holding on by being dry and determined. My first step is going to be replacing the rubber fuel hoses and clamps I think. Maybe the tank switch too. Bronco graveyard doesn't seem to have the same as what I have under there. Time to go hunting!

EDIT: LMC has the same universal tank switch (single wire).

Big Blue's GVWR is 8600 lbs IIRC. So yes, those are HD springs.

In your case I'd seriously consider air bags rather than heavier springs. You can keep the ride you have and then level things up when you put a load on.

That's not a bad thought Gary - I'll have to run it up the flagpole.

Gas was so cheap on my last trip out with Old Red, I decided to fill up the rear tank for the first time in a while!

...then yesterday afternoon I discovered that I've got a slight fuel leak at the tank switching unit. Looks like the spring clamp that keeps the hose from rear tank on broke, so it's just holding on by being dry and determined. My first step is going to be replacing the rubber fuel hoses and clamps I think. Maybe the tank switch too. Bronco graveyard doesn't seem to have the same as what I have under there. Time to go hunting!

EDIT: LMC has the same universal tank switch (single wire).

You are lucky you have the simple switching unit. :nabble_smiley_good:

Have fun driving on that cheap gas!

Agreed! I'm wondering if the LMC unit is the same as this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ETOVZM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_.aXLEb69E2WT1

Rockauto only has the 6 pin/6 port options.

Is the fuel line size 8mm?

8mm is about 5/16" and the hoses are in inches. But that may be correct.

Not sure about the fuel valve.

Agreed! I'm wondering if the LMC unit is the same as this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ETOVZM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_.aXLEb69E2WT1

Rockauto only has the 6 pin/6 port options.

Is the fuel line size 8mm?

I had to replace my switch valve, cant remember if I got it off Ebay or somewhere else now but what I found when looking for one was the way the wire connects.

The factory valve think had a spade and the wire the female spade that plugged on and as you can see the replacement has a threaded stud so have to change the wire end.

The other the factory valve has nuts welded to the bracket so the bolts go thru the frame and screw into the nuts. You can just use nuts, lock washers & bolts. I could not find any of the right size in my stash so I cut the nuts with part of the bracket off the factory valve so I could use the factory bolts and bolted the new valve to the frame.

Works great

Dave ----

Sounds like a plan. Last fuel line question for now (promise!):

My local shop has both 5/16" fuel hose (low pressure) and 5/16" fuel injector hose. I'm presuming that since mine is carburated, it is likely low pressure hose but I could use either? The fuel injector hose would just be stronger/thicker to withstand the higher pressure of a EFI system.

Do you guys use fuel line spring band clamps or the the screw tightened fuel line clamps? Currently the truck has the spring clamps (and one busted) - tempted to swap to the screw tightened one to avoid that in the future.

I had to replace my switch valve, cant remember if I got it off Ebay or somewhere else now but what I found when looking for one was the way the wire connects.

The factory valve think had a spade and the wire the female spade that plugged on and as you can see the replacement has a threaded stud so have to change the wire end.

The other the factory valve has nuts welded to the bracket so the bolts go thru the frame and screw into the nuts. You can just use nuts, lock washers & bolts. I could not find any of the right size in my stash so I cut the nuts with part of the bracket off the factory valve so I could use the factory bolts and bolted the new valve to the frame.

Works great

Dave ----

Thanks Dave! I'll keep that in mind, I saw that the new universal switch valves have the threaded stud for the hot wire from the selector switch instead of the spade. Might order the LMC one just to preserve the spade connector.

My local shop has both 5/16" fuel hose (low pressure) and 5/16" fuel injector hose. I'm presuming that since mine is carburated, it is likely low pressure hose but I could use either? The fuel injector hose would just be stronger/thicker to withstand the higher pressure of a EFI system.

Do you guys use fuel line spring band clamps or the the screw tightened fuel line clamps? Currently the truck has the spring clamps (and one busted) - tempted to swap to the screw tightened one to avoid that in the future.

I use hose that says it is rated for ethanol. I don't remember exactly what it says on it, but it says something about working with alcohol-based fuels.

But you are right about low pressure for carbs. You don't need the stronger EFI-rated hose, but it won't hurt.

I use hose that says it is rated for ethanol. I don't remember exactly what it says on it, but it says something about working with alcohol-based fuels.

But you are right about low pressure for carbs. You don't need the stronger EFI-rated hose, but it won't hurt.

Good catch Gary! I'll have to look for that - parsing through all the SAE 30 standards now...

8mm is 5/16, 10mm is 3/8.

My personal preference is low pressure fuel line and constant tension spring clamps.

I don't want to go back and have to tighten them as they take a set.