Bullnose Forums

Power Steering Fluid and Such

I noticed you said you are using Mercon V in the transfer case. I changed my tranny and transfer case couple of weeks ago and I new that Mercon V was the replacement for Mercon. But i was doing some surfing and found this.

https://www.motorcraft.com/us/en_us/home/our-products/lubricants/transmission-fluids/mercon-v-automatic-transmission-and-power-steering-fluids.html

Direct from Motorcraft. It says NOT to use Mercon V in transfer cases. Not sure why?

I wonder if it is for the same reason not to use GL-5 gear oil the transmissions, it hurts the yellow metal in the transmission. GL-4 is ok to use and the last I used was marked GL-4 / GL-5 so I hope I am ok.

So if there is any in a transfer case, thrust washers? they could be hurt.

Dave ----

Here is what I use for engine oil Both the SDE and the XLE are good oils. The big difference between them is a lower sulfer content. I seem to rembember that you took the cats off of your pickup so it wont matter any ways.

As for power steering fluid, I changed my trans fluid, transfure case and power steering over to Mercon V. Because I change those fluids every couple of years I am still running the original PS pump, Trans and T-case. I did that because I towed a lot in the past with it.

Thanks Steve, that is exactly what I purchased.....$12 too!!!

As for the power steering fluid, went with the manual, Type F automatic transmission fluid......man, it's so pretty, makes you want to take a sip!!!

I noticed you said you are using Mercon V in the transfer case. I changed my tranny and transfer case couple of weeks ago and I new that Mercon V was the replacement for Mercon. But i was doing some surfing and found this.

https://www.motorcraft.com/us/en_us/home/our-products/lubricants/transmission-fluids/mercon-v-automatic-transmission-and-power-steering-fluids.html

Direct from Motorcraft. It says NOT to use Mercon V in transfer cases. Not sure why?

I wonder if it is for the same reason not to use GL-5 gear oil the transmissions, it hurts the yellow metal in the transmission. GL-4 is ok to use and the last I used was marked GL-4 / GL-5 so I hope I am ok.

So if there is any in a transfer case, thrust washers? they could be hurt.

Dave ----

I'm using it now in my Zf-5 where type H is the recommended fill.

There's plenty of brass synchros in there.

Ford has always had problems with their 4410 (?) transfer cases, and has gone so far as to produce a new fluid just for them.

I don't think they're giving much thought to 30+ year old 1345 & 1356 cases, but I'll keep that in mind when I go through mine.

Thanks for the heads up Bruce! :nabble_smiley_good:

Bruce, I found a case of "f" type fluid in my store room. I was hanging onto it for the C6 in my 62 Flair side. I changed the fluid last night and drove it down the hill and back and drained it again and re filled it with the F type fluid. I dident see any metal in the fluid so here's hoping I dident do any damage. Again, thank you sir.

Bruce, I found a case of "f" type fluid in my store room. I was hanging onto it for the C6 in my 62 Flair side. I changed the fluid last night and drove it down the hill and back and drained it again and re filled it with the F type fluid. I dident see any metal in the fluid so here's hoping I dident do any damage. Again, thank you sir.

Ford has never stated the reason, but they tell us to NEVER put Mercon V in a t-case. The current recommendation for all transfer cases that originally called for Mercon is to use Mercon LV (low viscosity).

As far as PS systems go, basically Ford uses the most common (current for the model year) ATF. It ain't rocket science, you just need a light hydraulic fluid - it really doesn't matter...