Bullnose Forums

Engine will not run above idle

Years ago in my shop, we had a Cadillac, old enough that it had breaker points (shop was sold in 1978 so it wasn't that old a car at the time) it would idle smooth as silk, but if you came off idle, it would miss, shake and almost cut off. The primary wire from the points to the coil, had a bad area right where it flexed as the vacuum advance pulled in.

Do you have a multimeter? If you do or can borrow one, you can test the pickup coil wiring with it. First verify the ground connection is solid, as Jim mentioned, the entire DS-II system grounds there. Then check the pickup resistance. While doing these checks, apply vacuum to the advance with some source, Miti-vac or a piece of hose and suck on it. The other option is to actually wiggle the wires with the cap and rotor removed. Any "blip" or change in resistance on either the ground or pickup is what you are looking for.

I am going the guess it will be in the pickup wires inside the distributor body.

Hey fellas, thanks for the help!

Below is a picture of my distributor before I disassembled it in order to add the new pick up which was destroyed trying to disconnect it from the harness. I was not happy in that process. Is there an available tool to assist in removal of these connectors?

In the picture, I've circled what I think you guys are referring to the grounding tab. Please confirm?

On another note, seems like every time I touch something, I need to replace it....sheez!!! Cleaned up the terminals on the starter solenoid and note now that it is throwing sparks at start up.

Ford_Distributor.thumb.jpg.c72d4a06446f912b65cc7445b58ebdec.jpg

Hey fellas, thanks for the help!

Below is a picture of my distributor before I disassembled it in order to add the new pick up which was destroyed trying to disconnect it from the harness. I was not happy in that process. Is there an available tool to assist in removal of these connectors?

In the picture, I've circled what I think you guys are referring to the grounding tab. Please confirm?

On another note, seems like every time I touch something, I need to replace it....sheez!!! Cleaned up the terminals on the starter solenoid and note now that it is throwing sparks at start up.

That is the grounding tab, and as has been mentioned is the only ground for the DS-II system.

My experience is that this is caused by the connections not being tight/secure. There is a lot of amperage going through these connections.

My experience is that this is caused by the connections not being tight/secure. There is a lot of amperage going through these connections.

With the kind help given to me here, I think I may have a short in the new pick up coil I purchased. Not sure I can take it back. Regardless, think I may source an OEM unit. I see them on ebay. That said, I can't seem to find a part number. Seems I read somewhere on this forum about researching part numbers but can't find it. Help appreciated, thanks!

With the kind help given to me here, I think I may have a short in the new pick up coil I purchased. Not sure I can take it back. Regardless, think I may source an OEM unit. I see them on ebay. That said, I can't seem to find a part number. Seems I read somewhere on this forum about researching part numbers but can't find it. Help appreciated, thanks!

John - That's 'cause the info doesn't appear to be on the site. :nabble_smiley_blush:

But here 'tis and I'll add it to the site. First, the illustration so you can see what the basic/generic part numbers are:

Distributor_Illustration.thumb.jpg.7b84d84ca3471e7345bdd2d808ba553c.jpg

And now the full part numbers for the "stator", aka "pickup":

12A112_Stator_or_Pickup.thumb.jpg.25259d438dab8f5756fc9269488666f0.jpg

John - That's 'cause the info doesn't appear to be on the site. :nabble_smiley_blush:

But here 'tis and I'll add it to the site. First, the illustration so you can see what the basic/generic part numbers are:

And now the full part numbers for the "stator", aka "pickup":

Thanks for posting up the diagram, Gary. Still a bit confused on the specific part. Looking at 86/ thinking that is the part# for my 86, it references a 4 cyl. I'm thinking the part I need is D4PZ 12A112-A though.

Anyway, put a vacuum on the diaphragm yesterday and it appears to advance without any issues. Talked to the people at Orielly's and they have ordered me another stator as if they will replace the one I have at no charge to me. That is not the typical case with electrical components. Guess we'll see. Won't be till Wednesday before I get it though. I may stick my meter on it and check some things. I may even hodge podge the old one together and see where that takes me.

Interesting thing I found searching the web that has me wondering now, as I removed the reluctor….."

I wish I had found this post before I changed my pickup coil...there were two possible positions for the reluctor and they looked the same...Turns out, they're quite different. I thought it was the pickup coil that was messed up, but in hindsight, it was the reluctor on backward. I finally put myself on the right track when I noticed that one point of the "star" looked like it had a dot on it. It didn't really align with the pickup, but it worked on the second try!"

I don't recall that the reluctor could go on but one way. Thoughts on this?

Thanks for posting up the diagram, Gary. Still a bit confused on the specific part. Looking at 86/ thinking that is the part# for my 86, it references a 4 cyl. I'm thinking the part I need is D4PZ 12A112-A though.

Anyway, put a vacuum on the diaphragm yesterday and it appears to advance without any issues. Talked to the people at Orielly's and they have ordered me another stator as if they will replace the one I have at no charge to me. That is not the typical case with electrical components. Guess we'll see. Won't be till Wednesday before I get it though. I may stick my meter on it and check some things. I may even hodge podge the old one together and see where that takes me.

Interesting thing I found searching the web that has me wondering now, as I removed the reluctor….."

I wish I had found this post before I changed my pickup coil...there were two possible positions for the reluctor and they looked the same...Turns out, they're quite different. I thought it was the pickup coil that was messed up, but in hindsight, it was the reluctor on backward. I finally put myself on the right track when I noticed that one point of the "star" looked like it had a dot on it. It didn't really align with the pickup, but it worked on the second try!"

I also remember reading something about that but I have never had a dist. apart to see this.

I wonder if where the pin goes is only lined up one way as said but you where to flip it over it is now off.

I can see this if the pin is not lined up with a high point or in the center between 2 high points?

If it was off center of say 2 high points when installed 1 way it would be lined up but flip it and it would not be.

Wonder if this is what is meant?

Dave ----

Yes, that's the right part number, but it says 1980/87 all 8 cylinder engines w/o EEC.

Yes, the plate is probably moving fine with vacuum. But it is the electrical connections that are in question. The 1986 EVTM has this testing procedure. Go to Step 6 and sub-step "b". Note the resistance from O/Y to P/LB should be 400 to 1000 ohms, and from either lead to ground should be more than 70,000 ohms. I think if you put your meter on and do those tests things will change when you move the plate via vacuum.

Or, if it isn't the pickup wiring, then the ground might be an issue like Jim & Bill have suggested. But something electrical is changing when you apply a vacuum, and it shouldn't.

6679795_orig.thumb.jpg.17583c7ab49c1c7d9a3105b9e34ca88b.jpg

9208415_orig.thumb.jpg.3bb8d81ebcbbeabca063d216a94604c8.jpg

The reluctor can definitely be replaced incorrectly.

Have a look at Scotty's DuraSpark recurve pages for details and pictures.

The reluctor can definitely be replaced incorrectly.

Have a look at Scotty's DuraSpark recurve pages for details and pictures.

Suggestion, take a timing light and put it on the coil wire, with the engine running apply vacuum to the advance unit. If the light continues to flash, then you may have an alignment issue with the reluctor.

If it quits flashing as the vacuum is applied, then it is in the pickup coil leads.