Bullnose Forums

New Air Compressor

Danny G

That's a cool setup Dave!

I've always used copper plumbing. No rust, no problems with it being brittle, My fitting configuration you can imagine.

I don't run drops.

I just run at the height I want (with some pitch) add tees, street 90's and 1/4 NPT bushings at every outlet.

The Tee faces up and gets secured with a two hole strap.

Copper is a good conductor so it sheds heat, and any condensation rolls right on past to the drip leg & ball drain at the end.

So the air compressor came Ina week late. Got it home and box off, through the house, into the garage only to find the air filter damaged... No biggie I'll get a new one... Then noticed the entire pump has been smashed.

Called Lowe's they are going to pick it up for me. No way I can get it back on the pallet because the carriage bolts spun. And I'm not lifting 400lbs back onto my trailer.

IMG_20200703_145753.jpg.0bcf54123fb39e963d33ff7ae7c4f984.jpg

IMG_20200703_152849.jpg.088fca3cd16f92a68b9bdab68194b8f1.jpg

IMG_20200703_152904.jpg.c43862316103255a8e332a63336ae6a7.jpg

I can get this Ingersoll Rand tomorrow for 15% off at TSC. Mixed reviews don't know much about the brand. It's two stage and a whopping 15.8 cfm at 90psi. Some complaints about massive start up draw of around 50amps.

Screenshot_20200703-155257.thumb.png.53358b3113421f4a75b36283a1437882.png

Screenshot_20200703-155308.thumb.png.f181c4881a1f245fcd960cccd05a18fa.png

The other option appear to be Dewalts version of the PC unit. 7 days until it gets here but probably slightly better quality than the PC unit. I'll get 11.5% off this one.

Screenshot_20200703-160737.thumb.png.568d1b238e43e0ea5629184971aa818a.png

Help me choose.

So the air compressor came Ina week late. Got it home and box off, through the house, into the garage only to find the air filter damaged... No biggie I'll get a new one... Then noticed the entire pump has been smashed.

Called Lowe's they are going to pick it up for me. No way I can get it back on the pallet because the carriage bolts spun. And I'm not lifting 400lbs back onto my trailer.

I can get this Ingersoll Rand tomorrow for 15% off at TSC. Mixed reviews don't know much about the brand. It's two stage and a whopping 15.8 cfm at 90psi. Some complaints about massive start up draw of around 50amps.

The other option appear to be Dewalts version of the PC unit. 7 days until it gets here but probably slightly better quality than the PC unit. I'll get 11.5% off this one.

Help me choose.

I am not a fan of DeWalt after returning 3 sanders for not working out of the box.

Well the 3rd did work long enough to get the job done and that was not long at all.

I like the IR and they are a well known company.

It could be the 2 stage that makes it draw a little more on start up?

What do the other draw on start up? Same HP motors?

I have no clue when my 2 stage draws on start up I should check the breakers, yes 2.

There is also nothing wrong with more CFM for the same PSI.

Bigger is better in this case.

edit:

I had to close up the garage so I looked at the breakers 2 - 50 amp

8HP motor

230 volt

30 amps

3450 RPM

Snap-on® BRA8180V 1-Phase Stationary Air Compressor, Dual Stages, 8 hp, 27 scfm at 175 psi, 80 gal Vertical Tank

If I ever get it to run 100% duty I got a big leak some where :nabble_smiley_scared:

I should also say add another $4000 to your price and that is what mine goes for new.

I got mine off Ebay for under $1000 used

Dave ----

I am not a fan of DeWalt after returning 3 sanders for not working out of the box.

Well the 3rd did work long enough to get the job done and that was not long at all.

I like the IR and they are a well known company.

It could be the 2 stage that makes it draw a little more on start up?

What do the other draw on start up? Same HP motors?

I have no clue when my 2 stage draws on start up I should check the breakers, yes 2.

There is also nothing wrong with more CFM for the same PSI.

Bigger is better in this case.

edit:

I had to close up the garage so I looked at the breakers 2 - 50 amp

8HP motor

230 volt

30 amps

3450 RPM

Snap-on® BRA8180V 1-Phase Stationary Air Compressor, Dual Stages, 8 hp, 27 scfm at 175 psi, 80 gal Vertical Tank

If I ever get it to run 100% duty I got a big leak some where :nabble_smiley_scared:

I should also say add another $4000 to your price and that is what mine goes for new.

I got mine off Ebay for under $1000 used

Dave ----

I think powemate makes the DeWalt. They make the Porter Cable after researching the parts. The only difference between the three "brands" is the manifold. Power mate and PC are the same, DeWalt has a nicer manifold.

Start up power I guess isn't an issue. I will be wiring everything up as necessary. It's about 6 ft from the breaker box.

Screenshot_20200703-170823.thumb.png.e584c7c4b181cc8f825b32d336f65cb7.png

DeWalt

Craftsman

Porter Cable

Black and Decker

Stanley

All the same company now a days with minor differences between the top three and BD and Stanley being bottom rung. PC is dropping off being replaced by Craftsman as their Pro-sumer line.

DeWalt

Craftsman

Porter Cable

Black and Decker

Stanley

All the same company now a days with minor differences between the top three and BD and Stanley being bottom rung. PC is dropping off being replaced by Craftsman as their Pro-sumer line.

IR is assembled in KY USA vs the others... No idea. I don't know if they build the pumps there but they do build the tanks and out everything together.

I've always heard good things about IR.

Both units are the same price point. DW/PC are single stage 3 pump units oiled and ready to go.

IR is two-stage and requires our special oil to be bought on the side for about another 20 bucks.

the IR puts out 15.8 cubic feet a minute at 90 PSI and the DeWalt and Porter Cable foot 14 cubic feet per minute at 90 PSI.

IR is assembled in KY USA vs the others... No idea. I don't know if they build the pumps there but they do build the tanks and out everything together.

I like Oliver, and Jenny (the Jenny brand is what was left after DeWalt bought Emglo compressors)

Much the same that we now have 'The American Saw Company' that makes industrial radial arm saws while DeWalt which was synonymous with radial arm saws has none.

SBD is a lumbering beast that steamrolls established competition.

Not too long ago they were ready to move to Bermuda :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: until they got more concessions.

I like Oliver, and Jenny (the Jenny brand is what was left after DeWalt bought Emglo compressors)

Much the same that we now have 'The American Saw Company' that makes industrial radial arm saws while DeWalt which was synonymous with radial arm saws has none.

SBD is a lumbering beast that steamrolls established competition.

Not too long ago they were ready to move to Bermuda :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: until they got more concessions.

The wife doesn't want to help me fight the 600lb IR off the trailer so we may just end up with the DeWalt which clocks in around 380lbs