Bullnose Forums

HBF comes out of retirement

And, thanks to this site, I might have figured out that way back when if I parked my car facing the direction the winds blew during a storm, it was less likely to start up versus when I parked it with the bed of the truck into the prevailing winds...The post about the DIY cowl and garage door rubber is brilliant. But, I happened to have some vinyl baseboard left behind by the previous tenants, so instead of going to the hardware store today, I tried using it:

Hope it works! And, BTW, I'm not a rancher, but don't bulls and cows face their rears into the wind so the weather is a bit more tolerable?

OK, and one question for the group here about the cowl. Notice the trapezoid rubber plug?

IMG_7916.jpeg.da8db505bfe29313a1b55c28905c69be.jpeg

IMG_7917.jpeg.a5f12264350f37d4b59fa47f2b872a3f.jpeg

Why just one? Is it normal to only have one on the passenger side and not the driver's side? I saw a similar situation with an eighth generation F-150 in a local u-pick salvage yard. Which could mean someone else was looking for the driver's side rubber plug, perhaps. Anyone know?!?

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, then the water still leaked in around the floor vents. So, I removed them, lined them with silicone and siliconed the screws and put them back on. Still letting it dry before I do another test. But, at this point, I am pretty confident that very little water will work its way into the cab. And, if so, there are still plenty of holes in the floorboard to drain out! (Seriously, I will try to make it right!)

And, while doing this, found two more mouse nests. Who wants to join me in a new thread about critters building homes within your bullnose?!?

I got another! :nabble_anim_handshake:

No pictures though

It had obviously been there long enough for me to smell it. :nabble_face-with-open-mouth-vomiting-23x23_orig:

OK, and one question for the group here about the cowl. Notice the trapezoid rubber plug?

Why just one? Is it normal to only have one on the passenger side and not the driver's side? I saw a similar situation with an eighth generation F-150 in a local u-pick salvage yard. Which could mean someone else was looking for the driver's side rubber plug, perhaps. Anyone know?!?

My truck never had a plug on the drivers side.

And the one I do have is petrified.

And, thanks to this site, I might have figured out that way back when if I parked my car facing the direction the winds blew during a storm, it was less likely to start up versus when I parked it with the bed of the truck into the prevailing winds...The post about the DIY cowl and garage door rubber is brilliant. But, I happened to have some vinyl baseboard left behind by the previous tenants, so instead of going to the hardware store today, I tried using it:

Hope it works! And, BTW, I'm not a rancher, but don't bulls and cows face their rears into the wind so the weather is a bit more tolerable?

Glad the washer seems to have fixed your climate control. :nabble_smiley_good:

The vinyl cove base is an ingenious solution!

You may not be a rancher, but that's definitely a farm fix, making do with what you have.

Here's hoping it holds up to engine heat long term. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Glad the washer seems to have fixed your climate control. :nabble_smiley_good:

The vinyl cove base is an ingenious solution!

You may not be a rancher, but that's definitely a farm fix, making do with what you have.

Here's hoping it holds up to engine heat long term. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Mine only has 1 on the passenger side. Do yourself a favor, when you clean everything out, put some screen under it to keep debris and trash out. When we dismantled Brutus, there were so many leaves and dirt down in there and worked its way into the blower motor and the hvac duct work, and down through the drain holes

Mine only has 1 on the passenger side. Do yourself a favor, when you clean everything out, put some screen under it to keep debris and trash out. When we dismantled Brutus, there were so many leaves and dirt down in there and worked its way into the blower motor and the hvac duct work, and down through the drain holes

Congrat's! You are really making progress.

But I'm with George - put screen under the cowl. Or go with an '87 and later polka dot cowl. They have holes rather than slots so far less will get through.

I don't know it he got the area where the duck bill is cleaned out so water will pass thru to drain and why the water was coming in the vents.

Nice work on the floor covering seal.

Dave ----

I don't know it he got the area where the duck bill is cleaned out so water will pass thru to drain and why the water was coming in the vents.

Nice work on the floor covering seal.

Dave ----

I pulled the floor vents (no A/C model) where water was seeping around (still after cleaning the duckbills.) I replaced the foam seal and added silicone as well to the vents and the screws that hold it in. Hopefully that will do the trick! Here are some pictures from "before"!

IMG_6350.jpeg.5393bb965add3c153f90848d9daa5f34.jpeg

IMG_6351.jpeg.f6675993df31c06b60b19f3def850225.jpeg

I pulled the floor vents (no A/C model) where water was seeping around (still after cleaning the duckbills.) I replaced the foam seal and added silicone as well to the vents and the screws that hold it in. Hopefully that will do the trick! Here are some pictures from "before"!

If the water is getting there, it will sit there and find a way out eventually.

The boxed in section in front of my B-pillar was so bad the lower hinge fixing required major surgery.

I don't know if leaving my duckbills off is going to help but at least the water can only rise so high.

And hopefully any organic matter will either be flushed out of dry out (eventually)